Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

lepto

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sharonL 
#1 ·
Maverick will be going to the vet for his weigh in and centinal? tab. I know they are going to ask me about the lepto shot and I am not sure how useful it is. the vet has seen 2 or 3 cases of it this year and i have seen rats around outside in the long grass.

basically asking what is this shot for really and how useful is it in my situation. I want to do what is best for Mav.

Thanks!

#2 ·
It depends on your vet and you. I know here banfield offers it but most vets here say that it is not that common so not all offer it but it is one of those better safe than sorry situations. I know that I have not given haven the lepto vac yet. I didn't get most of her vac's done her breeder did before I got her but I am considering given it to her. I posted info below for you to. Hope it helps
Samantha

LEPTOSPIROSIS

Lepto is an acute infectious disease that is characterized by depression, fever, and loss of appetite. The mucous membranes are usually deeply congested. Jaundice sometimes occurs indicating severe liver involvement. The kidneys can also be damaged, resulting in Uremia, vomiting, dehydration, Polyuria (excessive urination), and polydipsia (excessive thirst). It is a bacterial disease which seems to be having an upswing in varying locales across North America. The organism is shed in the urine of infected animals and is contagious by penetration of abraded skin or mucous membranes. All dogs should receive at least four vaccinations against Lepto as a puppy. Most commercially available Distemper/Parvovirus vaccines also include Lepto in their combinations.

#4 ·
[quote="Skyboxers\";p=\"49547":1qmgotiy]It depends on your vet and you. I know here banfield offers it but most vets here say that it is not that common so not all offer it but it is one of those better safe than sorry situations. I know that I have not given haven the lepto vac yet. I didn't get most of her vac's done her breeder did before I got her but I am considering given it to her. I posted info below for you to. Hope it helps
Samantha

LEPTOSPIROSIS

#5 ·
Lepto is passed through contaminated urine. Animals that can be affected include raccoons, rats, mice, pigs, sheeps, goats and cattle. Once the wild animals urinate, it can enter into puddles, ponds or other water sources. Dogs can pick it up by swimming in contaminated water, walking through it, drinking it or eating grass that has been urnited on. However with all that said, lepto is a fairly rare diease. To say that your vet has seen it three times this year, is actually a pretty high number.  I live in a very rural area and I have only seen one case this year.

If you plan to be outside, go camping, go swim at lakes, rivers or streams, go to dog parks or take Mav with you on trips to other areas I recommend the Lepto vaccine.....It is better to be safe then sorry and it is a disease that not only can pass to humans but it is very hard to treat in pets, if it can be treated at all without serious damage.....it is actually a bacterial infection that affects the kidneys.

Signs of lepto can range from slight to major signs: depression, weakness, abdominal pain, sudden unset of ulcers on the tongue or in the mouth, jaundice in the whites of the eyes, diarrhea often bloody and vomitting. Death can occur as soon as 5-10 days after signs are noticed. Recovery is very slow and there can be perm damage to the liver and kidneys.

In addition the Lyme was mentioned up there and it is spread and high in areas that have lots of ticks so if you are in one of those areas you may want to consider that one too....Here is a link to a page that shows a map of higher affected areas and explains it pretty well....

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=458

#6 ·
If you do give the lepto vaccine, make sure the serovars in the vaccine are the ones causing disease in your area - there is little to no cross-protection.

As far as Lyme, here's a good article on the disease, treatment, and vaccination:
http://www.caberfeidh.com/Lyme.htm

A good tick prevention program is likely to be more effective at preventing Lyme than the vaccination, it will not cause the disease as the vaccination can, and it will protect against other tick-borne diseases that the vaccination does not.

#7 ·
Ok I got a question.  Duke had his lepto shot when he was a puppy but my vet said there is a new stran of lepto going around and there was an outbreak in the city next to where we live (which is just across the river).  She said it was a series of three shots, one now, one in three weeks and one in like 6 months to a year I think.  Does this sound right or am I giving Duke and Tabs shots that aren't really needed?

#8 ·
I dont give Lepto to my dogs, to me (IMO) it is a tough shot to take and not needed in my situation.  I gave the littly guy Lyme due to the fact he is a pup and his immune system is not up to par and we had a bad tick season.  

Hanna gets her shot and rabies every three years and K will too.    I do not give flea or tick pervention but use the holistic approach for it - I think (IMO) that frontline and advantix is a pesticide and not comfortable putting pesticides on my dogs.  I have had 2 ticks (not stuck in) and no fleas on both my dogs all season.

#12 ·
I called and actually the fort dodge company told me that a dog that has never had a lepto vaccination should have a series of three vaccinations and then a booster each year.  I just have not been able to get them to explain a real great reason why..  But here is what they told me:  It takes a series of three shots to build an immune complex and that shot covers a period of 6 to 8 months, after that it must be repeated each year to remain in the system.

Strange to say the least because to me that says you give three shots and then you are only protected for 6 months....what about the other 6 months?  I dont know guys I am not real big on giving the lepto shot

The way i do it is this.....I give it once at the final shot time for a puppy, a booster in 6 months and then each year so tech that is 2 shots not three and then a booster..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.