Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got dungy and when i put him in his cage for bed he just crys and crys, do i let him cry??  I feel so sry for him, but i let him try to sleep in be w/ me but he didnt want to sleep at all and i basically had a night of no sleep... idk what i should do

·
Registered
186 Posts
From my breeder told me, because I had the same problem last night also, just let him cry. He will act just like a baby, babies cry themselves to sleep, he will do the same thing. He is in a new surrounding he will cry at first until he gets used to it. Just have alot of patience with him and you both will succeed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same situation. . .my puppy Yoshi is 8wks old.  We brought him home last week and began letting him sleep in our bed.  After 3 days we decided to crate train him.  It is not going well at all.  It has been three days and he hates his crate.  He will not go there voluntarily or when bated with toys and treats.  He gets so worked up every few hours in the night and is shaking when I let him out to potty.  Today we began trying to place him in there during the day and sit outside the cage to reassure him that he is safe and not alone.  Last night he relieved himself in the crate and we only have room in there for him to lay down and turn around.  I think it stresses him out too much.  

I would really appreciate some advice too.  Here are my questions:
- how long should I continue with the crate if he does not start to like it ?
- should I move the crate to my bedroom at night so he is close and can be reassured?

Thank you all for your help!
Hope things turn around for your puppy dungy and mine

Tara

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check out the sticky's for crate training. It's REALLY, REALLY hard to ignore when your baby sounds so stressed, but IGNORE it completely!!! Don't try to comfort them or tell them NO, in their minds thats attention and thats what they want !!!!! Start with short periods in the crate and reward them (let them out) when they STOP carrying on. We have our crate in the bedroom and have it covered on 3 sides with a dark sheet, makes it seem more like a den, make sure they're comfy and have a toy or two. stick with it and good luck!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Like Donnersmom said, start with short happy sessions in the crate with treats, then you just have to stick it out.  It will become his den and safe place to him eventually.  Right now, if you give into his crying it will just teach him that if he throws a fit, you will come and get him out.  Next time you try he will cry all louder and longer expecting the same result.  Good luck to you - I think it's also a good idea to play with him and tire him out before it's crate time so he will be more relaxed and ready to sleep.  8 week old puppies can't hold it that long so expect a potty break every 3 or 4 hours or so - all night long.  You can do it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know it is hard to ignore the crying and howling, but it has to be done. Go outside, go into another room or something. We put Loki in his crate in our room the first night and he cried for like five min but after that he was fine. As long as he can hear you breathing, snoring, or whatever, he will know that you are there. Also you can hit the crate with the flat side of your head. I only had to do that 3 times and Loki has not wined since. We were gone for four hours last night and there was no problem. He will get to where he likes the crate but you have to alot of patience. Good luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts