Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Cactus has had all of his shots now, I have been taking him to an off leash dog park.  It is so fun to be around other animal lovers.  Seriously, I feel like I used to when I stayed at home with my daughter- sit there and marvel and the cute things my dog was doing..... anyways, so I am out there yesterday.  All the interesting people must've come out.  

First of all I had a guy telling me how to train my dog not to jump.  Problem is, I did not ask for it and Cactus does not jump already.  He knows the few times he tried it I ignore him, which he cannot stand.  

Next guy was telling ths couple that their dog was a puggle and totally ruining their fire about their new puppy being a mastiff mix.  He needed to just be quiet but clearly could not see what he was doing to the other people.  

Lastly, this man with a huge white boxer started talking to me about Cactus.  I told him about the seizures.  He goes, "Are you going to breed him?"  I almost fell over.... but I barely had time to get the look of shock off my face before he goes on to say, "I am getting ready to breed my white boxer.  He's got such a great personality.  He is going to make a great dad."  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  HIs dog is a good looking dog.  Has a nice head and well balanced and muscular, although a bit on the large side at 100lbs.  I could not keep my mouth shut and told him that the AKC breed standard says you cannot breed white ones and that he is to be a pet only.

By this time the guy who had been arguing with the couple on if their new puppy was a puggle or not had come over and was encouraging him, saying how great white dogs were (his white dog is deaf!!!).  I decided to leave the dog park before I vomitted on someone.  I am not a big fan of irresponsible ownershp.

Oh, the other thing I saw out there was a boxer that had a long snout. It really did not even look like a boxer.  The man overhead me say that I did not think it was and told me that in fact his dog was a boxer.  I recoverd by saying oh she must look more european since her nose is so long.  Honestly, its nose was just as long as its head, had no pushed back nostrils or jutting out chin.  I swear it had to have been mixed with something.

I think I am turning into a dog snob.  Not good. LOL

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The world is full of all kinds!
All you can do in situations like that is to try to educate people on responsible breeding practices. A lot of people just don't want to hear it, and they will go on and breed anyway. Unfortunately the boxer you described with the long snout is becoming more and more common to see. It probably was 100% boxer, but was bred from poor stock. That is what is contributing to the decline of the breed. It really is sad. The more popular boxers become, I think the more the breed will start to decline, because of all these irresponsible so called breeders.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thank goodness we don't have dog parks here.  I'm not sure I would have done as well as you did.  You made me proud!   :) Maybe next time you go, there won't be anyone there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was my first unpleasant experience though.  I have really enjoyed going and watching Cactus play.  He hangs with the big dogs (the dogs on the little side, where I took him at first, I thought were more fierce than the larger ones).  I don't know if you should be proud.  Be more proud of me when I really get on a soap box about BYB...  yet, really I know so little about the breed- I just know what you are not supposed to do and the rest I am sure will come in time.  

I really just don't like confrontation.  I have never been a good salesperson in that I don't don't force my opinion on anyone.  That is because I don't want thiers forced on me.  Maybe you could all tell me what you would've said and then I can put that together in my own words and start standing up in that small way to help the breed. If the boxer is going to look like that poor specimen with the long snout, well, I will do what I can to stop that.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ignorant people are everywhere & some people you can influence with correct information & some you cannot..You did good  stating facts that are based on truth that is in the breed standard. Sadly, some people (like the ones that you encountered) will never listen. That's ok tho, eventually you will meet someone that will listen to what you say & abide by it. That's the best we can do..

I live in Alabama, but I'm not a native & one of the things that has been very hard for me is to deal with the ignorance that I encounter. No offense to any one that is in the South please!!! I love it here & most everyone I have no issues with, but when I run into someone that says my Samson is an "irregular" boxer...Well I draw the line. Urrgghhh. This same person leaves their boxer out in the yard, no leash, nothing!! I have had my fill of people that supposdly know their breeds but cannot even tell what a boxer is!!! Poor Samson is getting a complex, he's been called everything from a bulldog to a pit...

Having said all that, I would continue to take Cactus to the park. It's good socialization for him & who knows, you might actually meet someone that does know what they are talking about!! Oh yea, if you want to counter with something good to someone that is pissing youoff, do like what I did..Samson bears a striking resemblence to a boxer in the 50's called Bang Away. Very stocky, beautiful white blaze. He was a very prolific stud. So I just tell people that Samson is a direct descendent of his & of course you must know who he is, right? I don't know if he is or not as I didn't get his papers, but the thing is, it shuts a fool up & perhaps makes them think. Look up really prolific studs, find one close to Cactus' looks & use that..If anything, you will get a chuckle.... 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oooo that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!  I will definitely do that.  Plus it will be fun to see what his descendants look like.  Is there a website you could point me to?

I will still keep going to the dop park. It is good for him and for me.  I am meeting other animal lovers who for the most part have been level headed and still really conscious dog owners.  A friend of mine said there were good looking men there...... I haven't seen any date potentials yet but Cactus has found some friends.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where are Buck and Tia?
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anne, if you got Cactus from a breeder, his lineage should have been one of the documents with it. Unless his parents, grandparents were champions, you might have a hard time finding pictures. I have a few books on the breed and one in particular has all the regular info, plus the history of the boxer along with some of the more prolific boxers since the 50's. It's called "The Boxer" by Stephanie Abraham. I believe I got it at Petsmart. Just pick out a good boxer from there & start tossing the name around..I know, kinda nasty,, but what can I say?

I actually had been waiting for someone to ask me where my 2 other babies are..Kinda sad story, Buck was a gift to my ex(while we were still married) & Tia we got as a companion later. When we divorced, I wanted the dogs as I was the primary caregiver & at first the ex agreed. Well he changed his mind and as Buck was technically his & where one dog went, the other went too, he kept them. The hardest thing I ever did was leave them behind & needless to say as I drove away from Calif I cried for hours. I still miss them very much & think about them, but live goes on & Samson has been a blessing for me...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
getting a divorce or breaking up is by far one of the hardest things to go through.  IT is almos like you grieve for something that is died, yet you know that other person it out there, with your things.  I am so sorry to hear you had to lose Buck and Tia.  I hope your ex is taking good care of them.  Hooray for Samson though.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thanks Anne for saying that. My hope is that the ex is taking good care of them, he had to learn cos he was clueless as far as what all I did for them. I know that Buck had a serious injury right after I left & almost died, but that was more due to the ex's stupidity and insensitivity. To my knowledge he has recovered, but I don't know any more. That's why I worry about them so much..My sister kept telling me that I should have taken him to court like you do kids but I just couldn't do that...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do apologize for all the spelling errors on that prior message. I was semi-sedated from surgery that day.  I meant every word though.  It is not fun to have to let your furkids go.  I have only ever sold my horses and I truly have not let them go.  I have just learned to live without them.  I am sure your furkids will forever hold a place in your heart, as do mine.  Thank you also for being willing to share with me.
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anne, I also must have been sedated cos I didn't even notice..I hope your surgery went allright & was nothing serious...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts