Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Letter from Lilly the Service Dog (Don't tell my Mom I highjacked the computer):

I'm a service dog -- read why I'm so special!

I'm a service dog, and that makes me special.  I get to go everywhere with my human partner/Mom, Liz, so I can help if I'm needed.   I'd like to tell you about my wonderful, exciting life!

I was whelped by a wonderful, responsible Boxer breeder in Oregon.  She decided, rather quickly, that I would be perfect for service work, but wanted to wait until I was bigger to decide what the best work for me would be.  It didn't take her long to figure out that my hearing was supurb and that, rather than bark, I let her know about noises by touching her.  That was when she decided I would become a Hearing Service Dog.  At four weeks I began learning recall and by the time I was six months old my breeder decided I was smart and well behaved enough that I could start advanced training.  

In advanced training, I learned to do special things to help the partner I hadn't even met yet.  I learned to alert when I heard the doorbell ring, when someone knocked on the door, and when the phone rings.   I learned to alert when people walk up to my handler and when the alarm clock goes off.  I even learned to alert to when when a baby cries.  

When I was really good at all those skills, my breeder started looking for my new home and Handler.  When she found my new Mom, Liz, she trained me to do a few new skills.  I learned to tell her when someone is saying her name and to alert when someone approaches her from the right side (my Mom is also teaching me to do this from the left side now because her hearing is getting really bad on that side, too).  

When I got really good at what I was trained to do for her, we got to meet and do our team training.  I had to learn to ignore my breeder/trainer and only listen to my new Mom's commands.  It was hard work to go through Team Training together, but we did it.  Now we are a real team.  We go everywhere together.

We're going to be partners forever.  We love each other and depend on each other. We play together and have fun, but when it's time for me to work, I'm ready.  I'll bet I've alerted her to her children crying and other people saying her name a million times already (she's a popular girl), but I love doing it.  I'm always with my partner, and I never get stuck alone at home.  Being a service dog is the best life a dog could have! I'm really lucky to be one!

Lilly (White Boxer [and proud of it] Hearing Service Dog)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Good girl Lilly! :D
You take good care of your momma cuz we really like her and think she's pretty special!
Zhanna & Henry

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh I needed to read this this morning.. :bsty: Lily, we all thank you for being such a bright girl and telling us all about your life with Liz..You obviously have been a huge help to her and I bet when you are off duty, you are a joy to be around....Continue taking care of Mom, ok? Big hugs for you... :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your welcome Auntie Willow!!!  I lobe helping my mom!!!  Even when she's being really stubborn or she's really tired, but won't take a break!!!

I'll write another one today to tell you how much I like meeting new people and pups while I'm working and how good manners with me helps me do my job!!!

Lilly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts