Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrote a letter to Dogs Today magazine after they printed an article about white boxers- the perception and fate of them. It's something that is so close to my heart that I thought I'd write a letter to the magazine telling them all about Daisy and my views on the subject. Anyway, the magazine arrived in the post this morning and printed in it is my letter accompanied by a picture of Daisy! I'm so pleased! Dogs Today is one of the biggest national dog magazines in the uk and I'm so happy that Daisy is featured in it!
I just thought I'd share my excitement with you guys!

Heather

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
that is excellent.... if i see it im definitely going to pick it up

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That's great! Could you share it with us US people? I don't know if we have that mag over here....I'll have to check.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Maybe we can go online Tootsie and read it.... Well done Heather, I am soo glad that the magazine printed your letter and hopefully it will make some people understand a bit better.. We do what we can and hope that some of it sinks in.... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"3718 said:
Maybe we can go online Tootsie and read it
Okay, I tried that. It doesn't show you any articles, it just lets you order a subscription.  :( BTW... very expensive magazine, it was over $100 for 11 issues. I think it was $9.91 an issue! Must be for the shipping here. Oh well, I tried. Heather it'd be great if you can scan it and post it here. Would love to see it!  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well darn it!!! Ok, Heather, we need your help..Lol...I'm thinking that the reason it's so high is due to shipping. I remember when I was living in Ireland, I had a couple of my favorite magazines shipped to me and it was pretty high...Had to make a decision on just 2 of them to continue coming to me...Oh what a decision that was... :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I've taken a pic of the published letter for you to see but the writing can't be read. So I thought I'd type up my letter for you! Here it is-

Dear Dogs Today,
As the proud owner of Daisy, a beautiful 23 month old white boxer, I was pleased to read the article in your February issue covering the fate and perception of white boxers.
It would have been lovely if it had covered living with a boxer, perhaps just a couple of snippets of real-life owners telling readers about what great pets they make. I hope the article helps to educate people about what really goes on and that white boxers are just the same as their fawn and brindle brothers and sisters.
The article covered an issue close to my heart and it deeply upsets me hearing about what really goes on in the boxer world. I understand that the fate of all white boxers may not be quite so grim as it used to be years ago, but I do not understand why we do not see as many white boxers out and about as we should- especially if between one and three boxers in a litter are born white.
Daisy is not deaf or in any way different to any other boxer of any colour. She is so full of energy and has so much love to give. We simply couldn't imagine life without her! When people meet Dais, they think she is a lovely dog, but we always hear the same sort of comments such as "Is she deaf?" or "I have never seen a white one before." There have even been times, espacially as a puppy, when she's been mistaken for a bulldog!
What Sheila Dawson has done for white boxers is incredible. There should be more people out there, educating and showing people what wonderful and loving pets white boxers can be.
Daisy has brought so much fun and enjoyment into our lives. Every white boxer deserves the chance of enjoying a happy life.

Heather Beech

(For those of you wondering, Sheila Dawson is a lady that runs a white boxer rescue here in the uk)

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Heather, that is a great article and I'm glad the magazine printed it.  I've had much the same experience with Tink when I'm out with her - people seem amazed that there is such thing as a white Boxer, and she often gets mistaken for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

When Emmet and I decided to get a Boxer, I had my mind made up that I wanted a white one.  It took us quite a while to find her, and I on many an occasion I was disheartened and often downright infuriated with the response I got from some breeders when I asked if they had any white pups in their litter.  One response that will always stay with me was from a man who told me "I don't have any whites in the litter, and even if i had I wouldn't give you one, they cause too many problems."  For the rest of that day, all I could think about was what would happen to any Whites he had in future litters.  I know some breeders put white puppies straight into the freezer as soon as they are born, as a "humane" way of euthanising them.

The official policy from the Boxer Society of Ireland is that they are trying to stamp out the practice of euthanising Whites at birth, but it is clear to me from my experiences that many breeders still see them as "inferior" and won't place them.

What bothers me most is that up until relatively recently (c. 1870's or so, I think), White was an acceptable part of the breed standard.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Thanks for posting the letter. It was very well written, and Daisy looks beautiful representing the whites!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Heather & Honeyec, it's people like you that will help educate people....Here in the states almost every litter that is born has at least one white in it...The breeders I know personally, place them in good pet homes and would never dream of putting those sweeties to sleep. The breeders I have issues with are the ones that are actually breeding whites...Yes, it does happen and it makes me sick...

I am so glad that the magazine printed your letter Heather. It was a great way to personalize the whole thing without making it sound like you were accusing anyone...Heck mine could be purple and I would still love them just as much...How sad that we are getting "racial" over our boxers....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you all liked my letter! It means a lot to me that they printed it and I was able to air my views to the nation! I hope people will read it and learn from it!

Heather

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Great job heather. I am happy that your  letter published and out ther to all those who may not be well informed! Way to show everyone who may not know that no matter the color our babies are still our babies and just because the baby may be white doesnt mean they are worth any less!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts