Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is the first time in the past month (tomorrow one month lette anniversary) that I have had lette and been able to take her to the vet.  He said how pretty she was, and how healthy she was, but that she was too skinny (which I already knew)  She is caught up on her shots, and is ready to be chipped on Wed morning...yay!!!!  I found out that she is also 9 months old, which is what I thought she was.  I was relieved to find out that she is healthy coming from a rescue.  YAY!!!!  :)  just thought I would share the good news!!!!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
YAY!! Good to hear all is good, gaining weight is pretty simple compared to all the other things that could have been wrong!!! Glad things are good!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thats great news!  Lette is lucky to have found you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Good news about Lette! So glad you were able to rescue her and give her a good home!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo Hoo, glad to hear that Lette had a good visit..Give the weight time, it will eventually get there...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
When we got Duke in July, he was very thin, too (47 lb.).  The vet wanted him to gain about 10 pounds.  At first, he couldn't eat very much at a time, so we fed him Royal Canin Boxer food twice a day.  He put on the 10 pounds by Christmas, and now he only eats once a day.  Good luck with your gorgeous brindle baby!

Duke, age 5

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Great news!
Just out of curiousity did the vet tell you anything to do to help with gaining weight?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That is great. It's always nice to hear about a good vet visit!  :D

G

·
0 Posts
Bo was skinny when we got him, but otherwise healthy.  He is about 48 lbs now...45 when we got him and almost ideal weight.  It takes time, but the weight will come on

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He didnt really go over with me on how to have her gain weight in a healthy manner, because there was a seriously injured dog that had come in as Lette was getting looked at, so I told him he needed to go take care of that dog and I would talk with him on Wed when I brought her in for the chip...if you have any ideas, please let me know!!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Glad to hear the vet visit went well and Lette is in good health, she's such a pretty girl, I just love those dark brindles....If she has a good appetite I would just increase her food portions and give her lots of treats, and I'm sure she will gain the weight she needs to gain in a short time :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,im so glad to hear Lette is doing well, lucky pup finding you! Benson has the same problem of not gaining weight, i feel like people think i dont feed him because you can see his ribs! but i feed him science diet twice a day he just doesnt seem to be eating very much -although medically there is no problem. i think he is just mad at me because i started making my own diet for him and then on the advice of the vet changed to science diet which is just dry kibble. every time i take out his bowl he looks excited and when he sees what is inside it he looks gutted and eats it reluctantly but im told i have to persevere! although i think he burns a lot of it off  because he is so crazy all the time no wonder he is skinny!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good vet visit!  A better quality food and a stable home will be the bigger boost on gaining weight.  From there some added protein like Peanut Butter Snacks will help....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So happy to hear that Lette got a clean bill of health; I agree I would up her food a bit to help her put on some weight.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YEah hahaha...she gets mad when I dont add something extra to her dry dog food, and tries to go all day without eating but in the end it finally gets her, and she eats.  LOL...I am just glad to know that I am not the only person who is having this problem.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think that patience and a high quality dog food are the keys to weight gain.  We want quick results, but that won't happen.  If you read my earlier post, it took Duke from July to December to gain the needed weight (5 months).  He's still slender, but not skinny.  I think that being slender is just his nature, so I'm not worried about it.  I used to feed my lab Science Diet until I found out that they changed their formula to include more corn (a financial decision, I'm sure, to increase profits), so now both are on breed specific versions of Royal Canin, which doesn't include corn.  Some of the other brands mentioned on this site are surely as good, if not better, but I don't have access to them.  

I don't give Duke many treats because it tends to make him turn up his nose at the kibble.  When I feed only kibble, he knows that that's all there is, and he's more likely to eat it.  He gets our leftover vegetables occasionally mixed into his food- he then thinks he's died and gone to heaven!  In fact, he'll often eat only 1/2 his food when I feed him, leaving the rest, hoping for some "people food" to be mixed in later after we eat.  If not, he goes back and eats the rest anyway.  He has become a better eater over the past few months.  When we got him, he was being fed a grocery store brand (and we think that the dominant male boxer he used to live with probably ate most of Duke's food on the sly) so he's a pretty happy camper now.  Lette may take a while to settle in if she wasn't fed well in her former situation.  I'm so glad she has you now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts