Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

What's the general consensus on letting your dogs run loose around the house?  We've got a 16 week old pup that we take out to the location where we are building our home, but i'm afraid to let her wander just yet.  We're going to be moving in about two months, so my thoughts are to keep her tied until we're there for a few weeks and start to get settled in.  

The setting is very rural, we're about 1/4" mile off the road and fully surrounded by trees

My primary concern is her getting lost...  Maybe that idea is laughable, i don't really know how well the little ones can find their way back home.  She did help my  daughter find her way back yesterday though.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We live on the main entrance street into our subdivision and I don't trust my two enough to let them out front w/o a lead on. Squirrels are way too tempting for those two...If we are working in the yard, I have two long leads for them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My parents live in the country and I let Duke run around their yard loose but not without supervision.....I watch him like a hawk...my lab mix can run free w/out supervision but she was raised there and she knows her bounderies.  Duke is just too curious.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't let a 16 week old or a 16 year old run loose. I don't know if you are talking about letting your pup run while you are supervising, I tend to think not because you talk about her wandering and getting lost. IMO there is way too many things they can get in to trouble with, not to mention traffic. There are bugs, bees, snakes, and other wildlife to worry about. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but even when I had a fenced backyard, my dog was never left outside unsupervised. Even now that I can trust Maddie not to go anywhere she is not unsupervised. She would dig to China if she had the opportunity!
I wouldn't let her run loose, just not a chance I'd be willing to take.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I only let Kiah off leash at the dog park; I have just started letting her off leash for a few minutes in the back yard when we are playing but never will leave her unsupervised off leash even if I had a fenced yard.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona goes off leash at the house (we are on 2 acres) and she goes off leash at the lake house. We did not do that until she was about 7 or 8 months old though and the first time we did I told myself never again.  She saw something that caught her eye and off she went like a rocket with us trying hard to get her attention, my hubby finally had to catch her and that of course made him mad.  She was probably about 5 months the first time we tried it and this happened. We are not in an area with alot of cars but you just never know what can happen.  I would say that your baby is still to young right now....but, they all mature at different levels.  Even now that Fiona will not run off and she has been tested by birds and squirels and has always stopped and come back...we never let her out without one of us out there and even now I dont know how she would react if she saw another dog.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks!  The reason i asked is that Bella seems to be a notch more curious than most of the other dogs we've had through the years, and I'm just not sure if they get too carried away with it.  We'll be keeping a watchful eye on her for a good while, she's too much fun to ignore anyway. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We recently just got our fences up(hooray), but prior to that Angel was never offlead outside and she's 2 1/2..Samson on the other hand, does not wander, so he pretty much was allowed out at his leisure to do his thing and would be back in like 10 minutes....I agree tho, especially with a pup, I would keep her on lead all the time...Especially if as you state, she seems like the overly curious type.... :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree with all above. the only way i would let my girls off leash would be if i had a fenced yard but i would supervise. i would start working on recall with her though that way if you do let her off leash the more training you do with her the more likely she will come back when she is told to

G

·
0 Posts
My two are not runners...and I will let them off lead outside, supervised...I can let them out one at a time to potty and they come in within 2-5 mintues...if let out together then they have to be supervised or they chase each other all over the place...but neither run...neither wander and both do great off lead...at 16 weeks though, I wouldn't let her out of my sight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts