Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,

Lexie is quite a chunky little girl, however, we're not feeding her any large amounts of food.. Below is what she gets in the morning and then again in the evening.. Should we cut back on it a bit since she is a bit older, Sammy is chunky as well, but she burns a lot of it off due to her being a puppy..

One bowl dry Bil-Jac and with a small spoonful of IAMS wet food, we call it " goodie "

Thank You,
Chase

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Depending on your bowl size two servings a day doesn't seem like too much. What do you consider too chunky??? Blitzen goes through chubbly-wubbly stages then in a couple weeks I think she looks too thin. Donner is just a lean, lanky teen and we're just waiting for him to fill in a bit.  Can you post recent pics??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Maybe cut back on the wet food a bit and check the amount of fat and calories in the foods.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
if im not mistaken bil jack has alot of extras in it that arent needed..

back yrs and yrs ago i used it ...and it was considered a great food for pits and muscle dogs...to pack on weight..not sure about now but go to the post on here abotu grading your dogs food and bil jac is on there..already

:D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Not sure what the bowl size is, but Samson is and has been on a diet for a long time. he gets 3/4 c in the morning and the same in the evening, very few treats. Any extras I add to the food I give smaller portions, like the raw egg, a banana etc...How old is Lexie? If she is over 6, you may want to consider a senior based food for her as well...Do you leave the food bowls down, ie free feed? If so, I would stop that practice..

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys...It depends how big is the bowl,it can hold 2cups or four.Ky is right about the Bil-Jac,I also switched from it!I feed Canidae now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll take some photos here in a few minutes and post them within the next hour or so..

Lexie is 7yrs. old and she doesn't receive a large portion of food, we usuaully give 3/4 of a bowl and it is gone about 10 minutes later and then she won't get anything else until dinner time, which is usually around 6:45 or so..

Chase

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Get a measuring cup and measure out the food, it is really impossible to tell by just looking at the bowl. Also, what are the feeding directions on the bag?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like Lexie has burned off the calories again, I think she is eating a lot during certain periods and then burning it off a week or so later, here is a photo I took just a few minutes ago..

Chase

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're currently feeding the Bil Jac Large Breed dog food to them.. Do you need me to get additional details?

Chase

sharonL\";p=\"106214 said:
Which one of the Bil Jac foods do you feed?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
No, many moons ago I worked somewhere that sold Bil Jac so I know the line pretty well.......My suggestion would be to either change foods to one that is more lean on the ingredients of the food itself or to go with a different version of their food.......They offer a weight control food, I cant think off hand what they call it...I think fat reducing.....then they also offer a senior version.....

My thoughts are that.....If your dogs like Bil Jac and they do well with it then you may just want to consider another verison with lower fat and proteins....Bil Jac is a bulking food....it will make them thicker :)

My first thought would be to go with the fat reducing food and then if Chase starts looking thin then I would say maybe just put them both on senior it is like 20%p/12%F where the reduce fat is like 18%P/10% fat......

I would also replace the can food with something else like yogurt or egg to still give them the extra but not something as high fat as can food.....lower the portion and cut out the extras for a while.....most extra pounds comes from treats :)

As Ms. Lexi ages you want to try and keep her lean to help with some issues of knees/hips and arthritis....The same with Chase! Older dogs even though they remain active, do not burn calories the same.  As they age it is even harder to get them to reduce weight even if they are on a "diet", but it can be done...you just have to measure portions and be strong on cutting out the snacks :)

It is tough to do sometimes..my previous dog Jazz got all chunky at the time that I had my daughter....I think we fed her more treats and things out of feeling guilty for not being able to spend as much time with her.....she went from 72 pounds (which was a piggie for her) back to 58 pounds where she needed to be.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts