Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we had Rocky, he got a small scrape on his foot, then wouldn't leave it alone.  Licked all the hair off, caused a sore.  Doc called it a lick granuloma and gave some really nasty medicine to put on it.

Henry has started to lick at one of his feet, the same way Rocky did.  Is there anyting I can do to get him to stop before it turns into a lick granuloma?  There doesn't appear to be anything there.  No ant bites, scrapes, etc.  It just seems to be itchy and bothering him.  Is there anything I can put on it?  Hydracortizone cream maybe?

Thanks,
Zhanna

·
Registered
905 Posts
He may have a slight allergy - last time Tink was at the vet's for a check-up he said in between her "toes" was a bit irritated because of hay fever!  So maybe you could try giving Henry an antihistamine?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
sounds like allergies.  As Honeyec said, try some Benadryl.  1 capsule for 25 pounds of dog twice a day.  So a 50 pound dog would get 2, twice a day.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep...I agree with them that it could be an allergy and a few days on Benadryl would tell you, if it gets better with the Benadryl.

What generally causes a lick granuloma is consistent licking of a spot, sometimes felt to be an act like people biting thier fingernails, (they dont know why they do it but they just cant seem to stop, do it sometimes without even realizing they are doing it).

They are generally on the lower leg area or foot.  They are often hard to ever get rid of and are generally in an area that they can not be removed because there is not enough extra skin to stitch back together.  If the Benadryl does not help, or in addition to it....The bad tasting stuff that vets use for this is the same type product that is made for children to stop sucking the thumb or biting fingernails.  You can pick some of that up and put it on the spot they are licking. It works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts