Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your boxer a licker? Cooper licks everyone and everything he sees. He loves people but I think they get annoyed when he licks them and doesn't stop. I don't like when he does it all the time either. I know he's happy but sometimes it gets to be so much. He's only a year and he get excited. He loves kids so much but we don't have small kids and when he sees them he wants to go to them. I don't want him to jump in them but I don't even know if he would because I don't take him over there thinking he might. What is the best way to do this as well as him not licking them so much. ImageUploadedByPG Free1415762446.835076.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1415762478.613360.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Mya is my licker...all 80lbs of her. She will sit in front of new people and just air lick over and over. She isn't to bad with us...it's more new people.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke licks EVERYTHING and everyone! Especially when he gets excited. He's getting better as he gets older and we've been working on "No licking". He knows what it means but it doesn't always make him stop. It's like an obsession! lol

As for introducing him to kids... make sure you have him secure on the leash. Make him sit, let part of the leash touch the ground and step on it. Have the kids come to him once he is calm enough. Once they approach, if he tries to jump up he won't be able to with your foot stepping on the leash. If he stays calm, allow the kids to pet him. Kids don't mind being licked ;)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Kailer is my licker!! loves to lick everyone in the house especially when hubby comes in from work; I think he likes the saltiness

as for introducing to children, Suzy gave you great advise and I would also train Cooper the 'leave it" or "off" command

·
Registered
945 Posts
My two only like licking faces. So beware of bending down lol

Echo was amazing with kids. Just remind the kids to stay calm because as soon as they get excited, the dog gets excited. I also hold onto a treat and let them pet her. She gets so focused on tbe treat that she doesn't realize she is being petted. Then I let her eat it after the kids are done. She sometimes gets so focused on the treats that she lays down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RIP Tigger, but when I was in highschool we could hold down my friends and he would never stop licking them, it was really funny. he'd really go for the mouth, nose and ears. Just brutal licking and I'm convinced he could go for hours. we'd regularly hold down guys for 5+ minutes.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mack is a licker.. But not mason, but mason is a kisser, will give you a pucker up on the lips.. Cutest/grossest thing ever... He is also a drooler, but Mack will lick you over and over again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Louie licks EVERYTHING! From us to the couch to the carpets....caught him licking the glass front of my stove this morning! He even licks my kitchen cabinets...he will be sitting with the kids and his tongue is just going a mile a minute without even coming in contact with anyone or anything.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Cooper too. He licks the cabinets and kids and everything else. My last 2 dogs were lickers so I guess we were meant to have lickers. Lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts