Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sharing this in hopes it helps other boxer owners find help and relief if their boxer has itching/ allergies and licks themselves raw and/or insistently.

This was our experience and I recommend you talk to your vet if you are looking into any of this to see if they are right for your situation.

Some of you know that our 2.5 year old Bandit has been on Apoquel for a couple of years because he would lick his feet constantly and leave puddles...

The apoquel controlled his licking, but we didn't like having him on it, and it's spendy, plus he's on a high dose. We've tried different foods, treats, detergents, etc....

Tundra used to lick a fair amount, but we got him off of the meds by changing to a sensitive salmon dog food. They all eat this now.

Jax has never had issues, so we figured that while it could be environmental, it was likely something else.

We talked to the vets a while back about the cytopoint shot, but were told that if the apoquel was barely relieving his licking, then the cytopoint probably wouldn't help him. Benadryl are about useless for him.

We finally had him allergy tested in November. He's allergic to dust mites, storage mites and cats. I giggle about the cats (we don't have a cat, but I find it ironic).

We hadn't heard of storage mites...We usually put their food into a plastic dog food container with a 'sealed' lid (20 lb bag replaced about once a week for our 3 boys). Their treat we usually put into a sealed plastic treat container. We had no idea this was impacting Bandit. We have noticed a difference from leaving his food in the original bag, and the treats in their boxes/bags. I've read foods can come w/ the mites in them, but we haven't seen that in the last couple of weeks.

We already wash our bedding at least once a week, so the dust mites aren't building up there. We replaced our couch in November (it was about 12 years old and was fabric) and we got covers for the new one. We got the covers before we knew about this. We wanted them so we could put them in the washing machine. Our 3 boys have a doggie door and they are allowed on all the furniture....so they track in rain, dirt, etc... Now washing the covers is a bonus to help prevent dust mites too.

We have seen a difference in Bandit since we made these changes, before we changed any meds...we also went to the vet this last weekend to get his immunotherapy drops. We saw a different vet (same office). We chose the sublingual drops over the shots for many reasons...anyhow.....

We are now giving him two squirts under his tongue twice a day (we were already giving him the apoquel twice a day). This is cheaper than the apoquel.

This vet recommended the cytopoint (shot that can last a few weeks to months). She has seen dogs respond to this that did not respond to the apoquel, and it is more compatible with the drops while we let his immune system get used to drops. Eventually we won't need the shot, only the drops.

We are weaning him off the apoquel now (using up what we have) and hope he is good without it.

It has been a wonderful med for us while we've used it, I would recommend it if your vet said it was a good option, we just don't want to keep Bandit on this or the Cytopoint long term.

Hopefully this helps others....at least to let you know some other options or things to ask about. Ideally your boxers don't have any allergies.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Interesting.

Zuke licked his paws for awhile when he was younger, and I was trying to figure out what it was. I noticed some brown staining around the nail bed. Talked to the vet she said it was yeast not allergies. Made sense since he goes to the beach everyday until it gets too cold. She said boxers are very susceptible to yeast issues and you should always make sure their paws and folds on their faces are dry. I have made it a habit to always wipe his paws down and his face a couple times a day. Also use apple cider vinegar diluted with water on his paws in the spring/summer to balance out the PH so yeast wont grow. Haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.

Zuke licked his paws for awhile when he was younger, and I was trying to figure out what it was. I noticed some brown staining around the nail bed. Talked to the vet she said it was yeast not allergies. Made sense since he goes to the beach everyday until it gets too cold. She said boxers are very susceptible to yeast issues and you should always make sure their paws and folds on their faces are dry. I have made it a habit to always wipe his paws down and his face a couple times a day. Also use apple cider vinegar diluted with water on his paws in the spring/summer to balance out the PH so yeast wont grow. Haven't had any issues since.
Thanks for the data. I think this may help Tundra's pits. He's been getting some raw sores in them over the last couple of months. We were putting triple antibiotic on them and the vet recommended neosporin as it does better with areas that tend to get and/or stay moist. It cleared up and then reoccurred. This may be a good way to prevent this. I think you mentioned the ratio in another post, but would you mind noting in this thread what your vinegar to water ratio is?

Does it sting if they are already raw in those areas? It seems like it would, but diluted it may not be that bad....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for the data. I think this may help Tundra's pits. He's been getting some raw sores in them over the last couple of months. We were putting triple antibiotic on them and the vet recommended neosporin as it does better with areas that tend to get and/or stay moist. It cleared up and then reoccurred. This may be a good way to prevent this. I think you mentioned the ratio in another post, but would you mind noting in this thread what your vinegar to water ratio is?

Does it sting if they are already raw in those areas? It seems like it would, but diluted it may not be that bad....
Yes Cyn, you shouldn't use it on any raw, or open sores.

Most things I saw were 50/50. I go a little higher probably closer to 70/30. I use Bragg raw unfiltered.

I have used neosporin in the past when I didn't catch it in time and he had a raw spot on the toe. Problem is, he likes the taste of neosporin. lol

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s the challenge with more than one too. We use some peroxide wipes to clean it. Dry it. Then put on the Neosporin.
We can only do it when they are resting. We cover him with a blanket after.

If not, Bandit tries to help him and lick all the meds off. 😱

·
Registered
518 Posts
My female boxer has seasonal type allergies I noticed she was itching her sides and ears were red and itching she had has also some bacterial overgrowth in her intestines so we had a long fight with that finally got that solved but when I tired Appaquel she got diarrhea really bad. So that was a no go I got a cytopoint injection the first one lasted a month the second one took about 3 months to wear off she is taking nothing now all of these are very expensive. I have a friend with a boxer that has the itchy feet issue and she uses its a blue veterinary soap I can't remember the name of it on her dogs feet and she says it works well.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
that’s the challenge with more than one too. We use some peroxide wipes to clean it. Dry it. Then put on the neosporin.
We can only do it when they are resting. We cover him with a blanket after.

If not, bandit tries to help him and lick all the meds off. 😱
lol!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My female boxer has seasonal type allergies I noticed she was itching her sides and ears were red and itching she had has also some bacterial overgrowth in her intestines so we had a long fight with that finally got that solved but when I tired Appaquel she got diarrhea really bad. So that was a no go I got a cytopoint injection the first one lasted a month the second one took about 3 months to wear off she is taking nothing now all of these are very expensive. I have a friend with a boxer that has the itchy feet issue and she uses its a blue veterinary soap I can't remember the name of it on her dogs feet and she says it works well.
None of them are cheap for sure.

Thanks for the input. The vet said we need to go back in about 4 weeks for another cytopoint shot, and that we should have a few months or so until he would need another. We are hoping we only have to get the two, and the drops will be working alone at that point.
We'll ask the soap too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am thinking that the cytopoint seems to be the cheaper of the options as you can get it to last like 3 months when I did the price comparison. I also think the cytopoint is safer as well there have been some negative things written about Apoquel which is not safe for puppies so I think I will be sticking with the cytopoint as needed. That stuff will break the bank!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts