Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a few years since I have visited or posted on here. I was taking care of ill parents, both have passed on at this time. My first grandson was born, and my oldest sons wedding. we have had some ups and downs with our dogs. We still have all three. Nina our mixed terrier is 10 now, hunter the min pin is 8 and has Arthritis in both hide legs, at this time trying to give him supplements to keep him healthy. I don't want to use pain meds, as I no this will shorten his life, hes on glucosamine, salmon oil. any other sugestions would be helpful. Callie our boxer is now 4, she has been health up in till December when she had pancreatitis. She has lost 10% of her body wt. , also during this time she split a toenail front paw middle nail. Shes been on pain meds, antibiotics, antiacid, digestive enzyme, probiotic. which we will continue the last two things. She was a pretty sick dog. She is starting to feel better, and we see that she is gaining some of her wt, back. But her toenail still bleeds slightly when shes active on it. we boot her everytime she goes out side. to keep it clean, I use vetericyn spray to keep it clean. any other suggestion would be helpful, and how long will it take to heal or grow out? or other supplements to keep her healthy.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome back. Sorry about all that you have been through. Glad you still have your dogs. For Hunter i would suggest a comfortable bed. I know there are some bed which can be therapeutic and especially with such a condition. Maybe you could try that? I am glad Callie is better. Continue booting him to ensure that it heals completely. The antibiotics should also help. Wish you the best in the New year.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Ouch that probably hurt. I had a shih tzu long time ago that did this. the vet actually had to remove the entire nail. Told us it probably wouldn't grow again. For a long time it didn't then suddenly she had the nail again. These dogs! I guess you have to keep the nail short so it doesn't continue to split. Chip usually has some good ideas, but no idea if a hoof remedy is good for a dog. Hope your pup is better soon and that life gets back on track. Been there.

Oh I just noticed there is a picture of a dog on it too

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Chip, do you know if its safe for a dog to lick paw when using this, its hard for me to stop her licking? sound like a good product to try.
Hey ... "feedback" in the form of an actual question??? I was going to say ... well not really sure ... so I put plan "B" into effect and since I have the product ... I looked at the label! And it says ... all natural and non-toxic! :clap2:

The advantage to the "Well Horse" as opposed to "whatever" other choice of antibiotic cream would be used and a boot and or bandage (exclusively) is that the "Well Horse" is ... as well as being an antibiotic is also a liquid bandage.

So the wound can be exposed to the air while still being "protected from infection." If you go with a boot and "ointment" exclusively ... your going to trap moisture and the wound is gonna take longer to heal. :)

It is "vet" recommended for use on pets ... the guy at the local feed and grain "told me about it." Vet suggested for a dogie with "Road Rash" large surface area wound ... hmm, guy must have needed a gallon of the stuff and a paint brush???

I'd lean towards the "Well Horse" for indoor use and combination of "Well Horse" and the boots for outdoors use. And even though it's known toxic it's not of much use if she licks it off?? :confused:

At any rate ... those are the reasoning's behind my recommendation for the "Well Horse" since you asked. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your help with this, going to give this a try. I do also think letting air and keeping it clean with the horse product will be the best for healing. Thanks so much!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts