Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Lilly into the vet yesterday for a NEW ailment and found out that Lilly's test results came back in yesterday...SHE IS CANCER FREE!!!   :partyman:   :dance:   Come to find out, the bump was a burst cyst.  The vet said that it was good that we removed it and did the test though, so now we know that she has them and what to look for!!!  

Unfortunetely, we found out she has bladder incontinence due to the spay.  The vet tech (insert foul expletives here) tried to tell me on the phone that it HAD to be a UTI because Lilly is "TOO YOUNG" to have bladder incontinence!!!  I told her that we can end up with it after having a baby or hysterectomy (or even a tubal ligation [speaking from experience...sorry for the TMI])  and that if we can have it then they can too!!!  The vet, after a urine test and Lilly leaking on the floor, backed me up and told me that I made a good diagnosis.  She then proceeded to reem the vet tech for being an (insert foul expletive here) on the phone with me and explained taht owners are more aware of their dogs normal behavior and will go out of their way to monitor (or sniff pee in my case) to make sure their dog is okay.   :aua:    :eek:nfire:   I don't think she'll be doing that anymore...at least not with me!!!

Anyways, Lilly is now on meds (until I find a natural remedy for it that is) to strenthen her bladder sphincter , so we'll see how it goes!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Great news! Yea Lilly, so glad you are cancer free :clap: !  Stupid vet tech :upset: ; hope it was a learning experience for them.  They at least need to listen and take into consideration what the owner is saying.

Liz, is that something she will always have to have medication for or will it go away due to medication?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may go away on it's own.  We just have to try the meds and see.  They want to give it a couple weeks to see what kind of results they get from the meds.  I, very clearly , told my vet that I would be putting her on an herbal remedy for this issue and she told me that was a great idea and that when I found one to call her and let her know (to make sure that it wouldn't interact with the meds she's on now and if it will, so we can take her off of it and clear her system out before we start her on it; also so that she can recommend it to her other clients...I LOVE MY VET...She not only is interested and prefers natural remedies, but she will recommend them too!!!)  So we will see how it goes...I already have three herbal remedies tha I can use...I'm just trying to figure out which one may be best!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
:cheers: Fantastic news!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Great news!  So happy to hear she's cancer free!!!   :D
Hope her bladder incontinence goes away very fast!
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Great news that she doesn't have cancer!  Good luck on the bladder issue, hopefully she will get better with age?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well i am glad everything went well. And that causes for celebration.  :dance:  :partyman: . And for the bladder problem I hope it gets better

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That's great news that she's cancer-free. :)

I know several people who have had success with spay incontinence by giving a teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley daily (though parsley also acts as a diuretic, so may increase leaking for some dogs).  Corn silk is also said to be good for incontinence.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What great news Liz, I am so glad the results came back negative..Yahoo for that...Then I'd go knock that tech in the head I think..how insensitive is that? I don't know if this will help or not, but have a friend who is really into usually herbal treatments also and she was using something called "Tinkle Tonic" after her male was neutered to help strengthen his bladder, said it worked very well...I'll get some more info for you so you can see if that's an option....

ok, here you go...
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_d ... OAodUwzWEA

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's great to her she is cancer free!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My girlfriend in S.D. (and two others in various other locations) has recommended a mix of parsley and corn silk (right on Newcastle).  I grow three different kinds of parsley, so I just need to figure out which will work best for this.  The corn silk is pretty easy to get here as well.  I'm gonna mix it into her food in the morning and continue supplementing, as normal, in her evening meal.

I hate putting any of my dogs on meds (pharmaceutical kind that is), no matter whether they're mixed or purebred.  I especially hate putting my Boxers on meds.  A lot of breeders, and everyday people like us, think that over-vaccinating and over-medicating may be resulting in lower immune systems and a rise in cancer in dogs.  That is a BIG reason why I choose natural over medication.  Another BIG reason is that G-- gave us the power to learn and use natural methods for our benefit and the benefit of others.  Natural is safer and healthier and using herbs to relieve health issues can also help with other issues.  

For example (LADIES---THIS COULD BE OF BENEFIT TO ALL OF YOU):

Black Cohosh:
Black Cohosh has been used traditionally to treat painful menstration nd relieve symptoms of menopause (used in conjunction with St. John's Wart, it has been known to relieve the effects of hot flashes and mood swings in menopausal women [my mom has been using this {she asked me for a safe herbal remedy and I told her to use this combination} for two years with my advice and hasn't had a hot flash in 23 months]).  However, a high can, and most times is, poisonous.  Us eof this herb should be done with care and advice of an experienced herbalist.

Sorry for the rant...Thought I'd share my thoughts, I guess...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with you about the fact that I'd rather use natural than a pharmaceutical med, however you have to watch what herbs you are using also.  A lot of the pharmaceutical meds are made from natural components. I don't think taking 10 natural herbs is better than taking one pharm med, and you also want to watch what herbs you mix. You can do some damage with all of these herbs.
Marijuana and cocaine are natural too, but are they good for you?  8O

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Praise God there's no cancer!!!

On a different note.  I love the two drinking buddy smilies!  Where did you find those?  When I saw the on fall over and drink laying down, I laughed till I couldn't see.  Henry looked at me like I was crazy! :oops:

Zhanna

·
Registered
46 Posts
What great news!! So glad that the results came back cancer free!! :cheers: Sending healing vibes to Lilly that with a little tlc her bladder problem will fix itself.  I am in total agreement with you on not wanting to give medications, for myself and my dogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts