Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you for your insight. I know I was a happier person having a dog. I鈥檓 quite sad and miserable. I am torn between a puppy and a dog that is 2-3 yrs old. I know when Lily was a pup, it was 12 yrs since I had a puppy and it was a lot 馃槀

Registered
We love our 10 month old pup, that we got at 9 weeks.

That said, my wife made me promise we will never get a puppy again.... and I agree...

It鈥檚 up to you and your energy level. We got our first dog, he鈥檚 our old boy Max, as a rescue, he was young, less than a year, but he was potty trained. Still, I had to wake up every morning, 4-5am, due to his tiny bladder... now, he can hold it for 8 hrs plus鈥攍ol that isn鈥檛 healthy, but he can.

Our puppy, he didn鈥檛 get potty trained til, probably about 10 months鈥攈e鈥檚 still having accidents. But he is trained to go outside. Cleaning his mess up, trying to potty train him, and on top of the early morning nature calls鈥攊t鈥檚 a lot.

Not to mention, he鈥檚 been expensive from the vet鈥攈ad some histiocytoma that didn鈥檛 go away after 3 months, then has allergies to every food (including 2 types of food designed for upset tummies). It鈥檚 been a journey.

Not every puppy will be like this, but in my own experience, a 1-2 year old dog will have the youthful health issues hopefully ironed out.

Then there鈥檚 the deal that older dogs may have more issues, but basically what I鈥檓 saying is鈥攜ou are ready when you are ready. Don鈥檛 feel obligated if you go see the rescue, and don鈥檛 feel a connection. Now, if you DO meet the rescue and feel connected, there you go :). And you don鈥檛 have to check the dog out at all either.

From my perspective on vets, our vet is great, has curbside service. I think most vets are doing that to keep their employees safe.

Best of luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you nuvomax.
We love our 10 month old pup, that we got at 9 weeks.

That said, my wife made me promise we will never get a puppy again.... and I agree...

It鈥檚 up to you and your energy level. We got our first dog, he鈥檚 our old boy Max, as a rescue, he was young, less than a year, but he was potty trained. Still, I had to wake up every morning, 4-5am, due to his tiny bladder... now, he can hold it for 8 hrs plus鈥攍ol that isn鈥檛 healthy, but he can.

Our puppy, he didn鈥檛 get potty trained til, probably about 10 months鈥攈e鈥檚 still having accidents. But he is trained to go outside. Cleaning his mess up, trying to potty train him, and on top of the early morning nature calls鈥攊t鈥檚 a lot.

Not to mention, he鈥檚 been expensive from the vet鈥攈ad some histiocytoma that didn鈥檛 go away after 3 months, then has allergies to every food (including 2 types of food designed for upset tummies). It鈥檚 been a journey.

Not every puppy will be like this, but in my own experience, a 1-2 year old dog will have the youthful health issues hopefully ironed out.

Then there鈥檚 the deal that older dogs may have more issues, but basically what I鈥檓 saying is鈥攜ou are ready when you are ready. Don鈥檛 feel obligated if you go see the rescue, and don鈥檛 feel a connection. Now, if you DO meet the rescue and feel connected, there you go :). And you don鈥檛 have to check the dog out at all either.

From my perspective on vets, our vet is great, has curbside service. I think most vets are doing that to keep their employees safe.

Best of luck!
Congratulations on your new pup. Yeah that鈥檚 what i was thinking. How much energy do I have? I will be doing it all. So I guess it will. Be my decision, more than hubby鈥檚. I have to also think, if I don鈥檛 get a certain dog, then it wasn鈥檛 meant to be. Will keep you posted when I do decide. Hopefully by end of year, I would like 2020 to end on a happy note.......

Registered
NJMom127, We understand and its very difficult. We lost Kai 3 months ago now and not a day goes by that just mentioning his name brings us to tears. My daughter suffers from depression and really needs her dog, (she is an adult). We have not been able to find the "right" boxer and every time we meet one we think of Kai and cry. We are getting a shih tzu in
September. Had them before. A boxer is such a special dog and I hope one day the right one will once again find his way home to our home. With my daughters work schedule a lot of the work will be on me though I won't have "night" duty. LOL My standard poodle is now 2 1/2 and getting better not as wild and rough, he is still a handful for my old body to walk. So tense the small dog for now but she will have a cuddle buddy. My poodle though is a good cuddle buddy but he is bonded to me first, her 2nd and she wants to be #1.

Registered
You will know when you know. Sounds like a cliche buts its true.

How I knew. I was ready to get a pup and everything that went along with it. There was no maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't, I wanted another dog.

Only advice I would say and I tell everyone, always keep a special place in your heart for all your dogs, but never compare a new one to one you lost.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Linda, oh my friend has two Shih Tzu boys, they鈥檙e up there in years. In fact, I maybe walking a neighbor鈥檚 shih tzu. They need an occasional walker, he鈥檚 a pretty calm dog when I met him. I have not yet walked him, it鈥檚 been too hot here.

Matt, yes I know the saying. I鈥檝e been thinking about it more every day, so that maybe a sign. My husband is on board, I鈥檓 in contact with a reputable breeder who has my info for future litters. I鈥檝e tried reaching a few rescues, I had questions before I filled out application but nothing, seems like lots of people applying which makes it more difficult. I am home 24/7 so I have time to train a puppy, I fully know how much work it is, I鈥檓 active and walk daily. I think whether it鈥檚 a rescue or puppy, it will be meant to be. No way replacing my Lily, this will be a new dog in our life.

Registered
NJBoxerMom127..Yes shih tzu are nice little dogs, we have had two, one lived to 17 the other 14. One of the reasons she wants one is they live a long life, we lost Kai at 5.6 due to brain stem tumor. Didn't really want a small dog however...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts