Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a few places that people say to not let their pup drink water after a certain time of night and don't put their water in the cage with them at night so they won't wake up as often in the middle of the night and have to go pee. I feel bad and don't want to let the little guy get dehydrated but they say sometimes when you first get a pup home they drink just because it's there.....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
in my home we take water up around 8 so that when we take them out for the final time there wont be any issues in the kennel the next morning to deal with. imo water should never be left in the kennel b/c of the fact that when they have water they will drink, which in turn will make them need to pee. if you arent there then they will pee in the kennel (possibly) and then that defeats the purpose of trying to kennel train.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm not a parent but I've seen the same thing done with my cousins, nieces, nephews, friends kids...
As long as you supply an adequate supply during the day, 8 to 10 hours free of water shouldn't be a problem.
You are right about drinking because it's there.  Ringer is a compulsive drinker (as well as just about everything else) so I just wait for him to go to his water bowl and alert me when he is really thirsty.  I'll fill it up, he will drink it and leave now.  Before when I had filled all the time, he would always be in there, the floor would always be covered in water and he was peeing every 8 minutes.  Now he is actually only peeing once an hour-ish.  I also keep an eye on his jowles.  If they are dry, I actually make him drink more that day since he is dehydrated.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona has access to water anytime when she is out of the kennel and up until around 8:30 at night then I pick it up.  She does not get anymore until morning.  I also agree not to put water in the kennel....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Our water is left out all the time but when its time for bed Duke comes into the bedroom with me and he won't leave until one of us gets up in the morning so I've never really had a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
lucky8926\";p=\"64742 said:
I've read in a few places that people say to not let their pup drink water after a certain time of night and don't put their water in the cage with them at night so they won't wake up as often in the middle of the night and have to go pee. I feel bad and don't want to let the little guy get dehydrated but they say sometimes when you first get a pup home they drink just because it's there.....
we have a very strict limit on jessies water... i limit her water all day because she is alone sometimes for up to 12 hours.  and if she had water all day she'd pee all day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Louie gets water all the time, expect in the crate.  And thats only because he'll knock it over.  Once Louie got used to a schedule of going out he's pretty good about how much he drinks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My little guy Jake is now about 13 weeks and I cut him off around 6pm. He gets pretty much as much as he wants during the day (quite a lot). He goes out every 30 minutes as we're teaching house training which is going great - 3 days now with no accidents in the house and he is going to the door to go out. Even after about 6-7pm, he "evacuates" fairly often until bedtime. I let him out at 11pm for the last time and he makes it through the night with no issues. I don't leave water in his kennel when I go out either, but he's not left alone for more than 4 hours. I'd say have a cut off time that is reasonable and make sure they have access to lots when you're around.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we've been cutting him off of water around 11pm when I get home from work unless him and our other dog are playing hard then we will let him get some gulps to quench his thirst. He goes out the last time before I go to bed around 1 or 2 am and usually doesn't need to go out again for about 3 hours. I give him a little bit before I leave for work just because I know he is going to be barking and howling for the next hour and I don't want him to get parched......

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have read to take away the water 2 hours before bed time if you are house training a puppy. I take away at 8pm and she goes pee at 9pm and makes it until we get up again at 4:30am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts