Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sable is about 4.5 months old. Today she took a nap and was fine before but after she started limping. I thought it was just her leg fell asleep, but it went on for about an hour. She is eating fine and wants to play with our other dog just can’t. It seems like it’s in her front legs or shoulders. It’s only slight. All she wants to do is sleep when not around our other dog. Could this be growing pains or something more serious?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Yes it could be growing pains, I'd watch her for a day or so and see. Our boy use to sleep with his front paw curled and he would limp on it when he first got up but only after a night sleeping on it. If it continues your vet is always your best option.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The only thing I would recommend, "if," you think she may have a problem?? Is to get on the phone and schedule a check up, tomorrow for a date in later. If she get's better, you can cancel the appointment.

Bella decided that "now," would be a great time to get "Fox Tail's," in the ear!! Ok ... no big deal, I'll call the vet and we'll zip, on down, tomorrow if not today???

Yeah ... "NO!" If your dog is not dying?? They won't see you! And if they do ... see you the same day?? Emergency rate's apply??? And for some reason all our local vet's had unscheduled Emergencies??

Covid 19, has them back up?? Vet's aren't playing around ... you "need," an appointment and you need to call before they let you in. When you get there.

Bella had to wait an extra 3 day's, cuz of the change's, "(she seemed to doing better??)" And now well 300 buck's later she is fine. :)

They did not knock her out, but they did sedate her. And I don't understand but the Vet told me thanks for allowing him to sedate her to remove the fox tail's??? They were there and in deep!

The bit that "confuses me??" Is why saying "yes to sedating her??" Would be a big deal?? Your not gonna get deep in, fox tail's out of a dog's ear w/o sedating them, I would not think??

I put a muzzle on her "initially," cuz when we first became aware that something was off?? She was a bit "snap-ish when you went to touch her ear's. But after the weekend she was ... better?? No longer touchy around the ear's. But no longer that "touchy," about the ear's, and Zero Issue's with being touched and examined??

Being a sigh Pit Mix, I didn't want preconceptions, to color there handling of a muzzled dog?? I Talked to the Vet and said People Friendly. He of course, knows what to look for ... and said OK take the muzzle home and we'll take the dog w/o the muzzle. She did great ... no issues with her and the staff at all. :)

The only part that was bit of surprise?? Was she recognized that this was not her Vet Office?? And she hit the brakes hard!!??? I was not using a SLL but I do use two collar's on her.

And the second collar (I take off at home) is a "Martingale!" LOL ... yeah those work great!! When she hit the brake's most likely a regular collar and the flat leash ... would have popped right off?? But the Martingale did what it does and she could no go anywhere! SO I told her to stop being an A-Hole and we right on in. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Could be anything. Like Linda said, keep an eye on it, and if doesn't get better go to the vet.

Check her pads, you would be surprised how many dogs limp if they get a splinter or something stuck in there. My guy got gum stuck in his paw on a bike ride and he acted like his leg was broke. Its easy to do and you can rule it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dogs with sore legs can be caused by many things because dogs are very active, they always want to be running and playing around anytime, anywhere. And that is also one of the reasons why they experience unintended foot injuries. Many dogs with sore feet cannot walk, including the front and hind legs. A dog with sore feet will obstruct all activities of the puppies.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You may want to check her toenails maybe she split a nail. Its not normal for dogs to limp. Sometimes its growing pains my dog is going thru that now sometimes its a soft tissue injury. If she doesn't get better with rest she really needs to be checked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts