Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Cincinnati compiled this list of pet health emergencies. If the animal has any of the following symptoms, call your local emergency care facility and tell the receptionist that you are bringing in a dog or cat that has;

Difficulty breathing,
  noisy respiration,
  blue tongue,
  gasping for breath.
Bleeding that does not stop from any part of the body; apply pressure with a clean cloth and go!
Bloated or distended abdomen or swollen or painful abdomen with or without vomiting.
Inability to urinate or move bowels but continues to try or has bloody stool or urine or painful defecation or urination.

Heatstroke
  heavy panting
  extreme weakness
  body temperature about 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
Inability to deliver puppies or kittens, labor contractions for longer than one hour or more than 15 minutes of labor with the fetus or membrane showing.
Loss of balance or consciousness or seizure, including
  tremors,
  coma,
  staggering,
  convulsions,
  sudden blindness,
  tilting of the head,
  biting at imaginary objects,
  sudden changes in disposition such as unusual withdrawal or out-of-character aggressiveness.
Pain, severe or continuous.
Major trauma, injury, or shock from
  falls,
  vehicle accidents,
  wounds,
  cuts,
  broken bones
shows signs of:
  weakness,
  collapse,
  shallow breathing,
  rapid heartbeat,
  bewildered appearance,
  dilated pupils.
Ingested poison; bring the container or the commercial or chemical name of the product or a list of ingredients if you have it.
Penetrating wounds anyplace, but especially in the chest or abdomen.
Vomiting or diarrhea with blood or violent episodes.
Lameness and cannot bear any weight on the leg.
Any other signs that look serious, such as:
eye problems,
severe itching with self-mutilation,
severe hives

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Very good stuff Heather.

I want to put my two cents in on this.  I don't want to dissuade anyone from taking his/her pet to the e-vet but I do want you to put some of those symptoms into context.  When I am training EMT's and Paramedics in the field, I see them make the same mistake of not taking in the whole picture.  "Dan, his pulse is 200, we need to shock him!  Trainee, he just finished a marathon, lets wait a minute and see if it comes down on it's own."

Couple examples:
Noisy breathing -
 Snoring - please don't go. If you are concerned, wake the pup up and if it doesn't stop, then consider going.
 Breathing fine before going behind some bush, scuffle and now he is making noises (other thank sneezing) and looks to be in distress - Go immediately

Tremors/Convulsions -
 Is he sleeping and shaking and maybe running in his sleep like he is chasing the neighborhood cat? - please don't go. If you are concerned, wake the pup up and if it doesn't stop, then consider going.
 Was he walking to your or normally awake, collapse and start shaking all or just part of his body? (Probably peed himself too) - Go immediately

1 - 3 of 3 Posts