Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I have three dogs, a 1 1/2 year old Lab Retiever (Roxy, Lover her to death great dog), a 4 month old Great American Bulldog (She is shy, and i must give her away to a good home), and my always in trouble Boxer, Rocko. He seems to always find away to get in trouble. He seems to always jump on my counter and eat stuff (once our chicken dinner and twice he has ate butter we leave on a plate). I displain him; however i dont believe the spanking or scolding i give him is doing what i want it to do while he does fear me he loves me to death and listens only to me the most. Can someone assist me in this dilema.

·
Registered
14 Posts
spd_dvl\";p=\"1048 said:
I'm new to the forum. I have three dogs,
Welcome to the forum, and what an interesting mix of pups you have there, quite a handful. I am going to try to address your issues seperately and to the best of my ability. Just remember this is just advice, if you are looking for more, you should contact a qualified trainer/behavioral consultant. They do cost a bit, but it is worth it to have someone impartial who can watch what is going on and offer advice to solve specific issues.
spd_dvl\";p=\"1048 said:
a 4 month old Great American Bulldog (She is shy, and i must give her away to a good home),
Ok, I am assuming that there is more to this story than you put here. It is possible to teach a shy dog how to be a confident and self-assured without having to re-home. You just have to be willing to put in the time and effort. Also, please be aware that at 4months you dog may be starting (albeit it is a little early) her second fear imprint stage. This is a key time in a dogs life for teaching confidence and other skills that will help the dog cope with life in her future. I strongly urge you to re-think you decision here to re-home, or at least be sure you screen the home correctly. If you are determined to place her in a new home, I definitely urge you to contact your local Bulldog rescue, they have the experience and training to help place this girl in the right home. They also may have information about how to work specifically with their breed and how to solve the problems that you see.
spd_dvl\";p=\"1048 said:
my always in trouble Boxer, Rocko. He seems to always find away to get in trouble.
Since you didnt put an age down, I am guessing that Rocko is close to his teen years (~1yr to 2.5yrs old) Which is when we see the most "my dog is so naughty" questions. Some basic obedience classes and a strict NILF (Nothing in Life is Free) method will help you through and teach him how to act appropriately to  your home. Just do an internet search on "NILF", "NILIF", or "Nothing in LIfe is Free", there are loads of information on how to apply this method effectively.
spd_dvl\";p=\"1048 said:
He seems to always jump on my counter and eat stuff (once our chicken dinner and twice he has ate butter we leave on a plate)
This is called counter surfing and yes dogs are masters at this little trick. Let me ask you a question, if you walked down say main street and found a $5 bill laying on the ground, you pick it up right? Then the next day you walk down main street again and see another $5 bill in the same location. Are you going to walk down main street on the third day? How often will you walk down that street to pick up the $5 bill? You know that the money belonged to someone? Would you still pick it up and pocket it? This is what is happening with your dog. Every time he goes up on the counter he gets his $5 bill, he knows it is not his, but really who can blame him for wanting it. Now let's digress back to the Main street and the $5 bill, lets say after 4 months of getting a $5 bill every time you walk down that street it stops appearing. How long will you continue to walk down main street hoping for the $5? And wouldnt you try once and awhile ever after?  This is what you are facing with correcting the issue with Rocko. You will have to remove EVERYTHING from the counter and keep it off FOREVER! He must never get "rewarded" again for taking somehting off the counter, And he will still try on occasion just in case. So you have a couple of options, 1. gate off the area so he can not reach the counter again 2. Crate him so that he can not practice the behavior anymore and 3. place some double sided sticky tape on the edge of the counter to deter him if he does get up there.
spd_dvl\";p=\"1048 said:
I displain him; however i dont believe the spanking or scolding i give him is doing what i want it to do while he does fear me he loves me to death and listens only to me the most.
Ok, not to sound snide or mean, but how many times are you going to "spank" and "scold" before you realize it is not working? At this point you need to find another means to solve the problem since it is obvious that your dicipline is not working.  
Personally, I have no desire to have my dogs fear me. That to me would be a terrible life for the dog and not a very good reflection on my own intelligence. I would much rather have my dogs respect me and my role as the leader of the family. I strongly suggest you get the book "How to be the Leader of the Pack.....and have your dog love you for it" by Patricia McConnell. It will give you the tools you need to become a respected and loved leader rather than a tyrannt (if that is what you are looking for) And the rest of the humans in the household should apply the principles in McConnell's book in order for the whole home to be happy. As a side note, once you apply these methods across the board, you might see an improvement in your Bulldog as well. Perhaps her fear is getting in the way of her confidence? If you come across as a strong but kind leader she may come out of her shell more and be more confident.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts