Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone my boxer Triton has these little bumps on his skin under his coat. There fairly small and each one is a little different in shape and size it almost looks like hives that we would get. He has never had these in past years. If I pet him on these his leg starts going to scratch, they are very sensitive to make him itch. They are mostly on his two front shoulders but just recently started spreading around a bit.

Has anyone seen these on their dogs. I have been treating him for fleas and ticks just to be sure, but have never found fleas, ticks, or any other bugs around the house. I feed him oragin food and give him dream coat in his food as well. He has been on oragin for a long time with no problems until now. Been taking the dream coat for about two weeks but has made no difference. I thought it might be the wood stoves drying him out which I'm sure they do a bit but I figured the oil would counter act that.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Sugar had little bumps on her head once as an allergic rxn to catnip. He may have gotten in contact with something he is allergic to. Have you given him Benadryl? The dosage is 1 mg/ pound body weight. So Sugar being 50 lbs received two 25 mg pills. It took a couple of weeks to clear up. And we only gave her the Benadryl at the beginning when she was very itchy.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
If there's any way you could take a pic, that would be helpful. Which Orijen are you feeding?

This may just be food-related.

I also noticed the Dream Coat has wheatgerm oil in it. If you are feeding Orijen, I take it you want to stay away from grain.

· Registered
171 Posts
Our girl gets those too. They do not seem to bother her though since she does not scratch at them. We still do not know what causes them, but they take a couple weeks to go away. If we give her benadryl they go away for a day or so. Very strange.

· Registered
4 Posts
This sounds like a condition my Doberman had. The bumps were firm and about 1 cm in size. Rarely they would have a little crust on them. The vet said it was more common in red Dobes like she was. The only thing that worked well was coal tar shampoo (T-gel). Its worth a try but keep it away from the eyes.

· Registered
706 Posts
Hi my boxer bitch used to get them on her head for awhile,our vet gave us a dermatitis shampoo and they would go away. Also my boxer dog had little black bumps under his fur,eventually the fur would wear away and the bumps would remain exposed. They kind of look like small warts. This is common in boxers and nothing to worry about!!! Boxers are prone to heart disease and cancer...also these little black "warts" too. They are not harmful. I hope this has helped a little. If you are really concerned perhaps take your dog to your vet and ask for a special shampoo??? Good luck,let us know how you go!

· Banned
143 Posts
Vada gets these also on her head. She doesnt scratch them and they dont seem to bother her. I have noticed they seem to be more in the winter time. Vet says it is like cradle cap babbies get. Any Ideas?

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics of skin problem

This seem to start happening after he spent the day at the Vet for his ear and toe operation.

Here are some pics of the skin problem. Was just bumps under his coat, but now his coat is falling out and the skin looks very dark in color with bumps still there.

Thx for the input from everyone. Quite honestly, I trust the opinion of people on here better than the Vet.

Where you see the darker areas on his fur is the bumps making the fur stick up a little.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
The thing that has stuck out that you mentioned is the skin is turning dark. There is something called black skin disease that occurs in dogs. I am unaware of a known cause but have read somewhere it could be related to a fungus. There are some really great natural anti-fungal products for dogs. One is called Neem oil which has been used in dog shampoos for years. Two very good products are Ark Naturals shampoo
Ark Naturals Neem "Protect" Shampoo (8 fl oz)
or Organix South, TheraNeem: Organixsouth.com – High Quality Neem Products

My female has yeast issues which is a fungus, and I shampoo her with a neem shampoo. Then I get pure Neem Oil and using the dropper I spread it down her back or any affected areas. Leave it on 5-10 minutes and rinse. Neem is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic.

Also, instead of the Dream Coat, I would try pure coconut oil. It has natural anti-fungal properties as well. I add 1 tsp, twice a day, to food.
Niulife Coconut Oil

Good luck with this. I would honestly have a blood panel done also, just to make sure everything is in order, as other conditions can cause hair-loss.

I sure hope you can get relief for him.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing that has stuck out that you mentioned is the skin is turning dark. There is something called black skin disease that occurs in dogs. I am unaware of a known cause but have read somewhere it could be related to a fungus. There are some really great natural anti-fungal products for dogs. One is called Neem oil which has been used in dog shampoos for years. Two very good products are Ark Naturals shampoo
Ark Naturals Neem "Protect" Shampoo (8 fl oz)
or Organix South, TheraNeem: Organixsouth.com – High Quality Neem Products

My female has yeast issues which is a fungus, and I shampoo her with a neem shampoo. Then I get pure Neem Oil and using the dropper I spread it down her back or any affected areas. Leave it on 5-10 minutes and rinse. Neem is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic.

Also, instead of the Dream Coat, I would try pure coconut oil. It has natural anti-fungal properties as well. I add 1 tsp, twice a day, to food.
Niulife Coconut Oil

Good luck with this. I would honestly have a blood panel done also, just to make sure everything is in order, as other conditions can cause hair-loss.

I sure hope you can get relief for him.

Thank you so much for your input. I will do some research on that fungus.

Doug

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi I think my boxer may have the same problem as yours. He developed a bald patch on his shoulder blades and had bumps running from his shoulder blades all the way down his back. They were slowly spreading. I took him to the vet to get some answers $78 later, including a skin scraping, I had no answers except a referral to a dermatologist. Well before I was going to put any more money out I was going to try switching his food. Three days later his bumps are much smaller and continue to keep going down. I'm shocked because I didn't think it could be a food allergy because he was on Taste of the Wild. The vet thought he was to young for a food allergy to. When I got him the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow Ick! Then I switched him to TOTW for almost 3 months. I guess it built up it his system and gave him a reaction. I switched him without mixing food for 7 days so he still has diarrhea but he'll be over that in a week or so I hope... I switched him to Great Life Buffalo formula to try to give him an unfamiliar meat source. He was on Pacific Stream formula with TOTW. Also the lady at the store told me that when dogs stay on a specific food formula for a long time that's when they develop allergies. So she said to rotate food bag within the brand or something else your dog does well on. I've also added fish oil to my dogs diet and a spoonful of greek yogurt a day to his diet. You can find great life on Leader in Natural and Organic Dog food, Canned Dog Food, Premium Biscuits, Full Range of Supplements, Great Life brand Dog Food, Grain Free Dog Food, Organic Pet Treats, Raw Food Diets, Freeze Dried Dog Food and Dog Treats, Cat Products, Manufacturer . Hope this helps let me know.

· Registered
4 Posts
Brody has bumps like those on him. I researched hystiocytomas, but the third visit to the vet has brought, "You can byopsy them, we don't know what they are, and it will cost 350$" Hope your poor baby gets better, I am waiting these out on Brody to see what happens... also, to save some money.

· Registered
6 Posts
Lola gets bumps on her skin similar to what you are describing. Hers would start off as kind of soft and them get hard and scabby. Her bumps were also very itchy. The vet said it is skin allergies and when they got hard and scabby it indicated that they were infected due to itching. Lola is now on allergy injections, occasional steroids and also takes benadryl to help control the itching. Lola also had similar dark skin patches that caused her to form bald spots that looked very similar to what is pictured on your boxer. Those were diagnosed as mange and she was treated with a cream. The spots cleared up and her coat grew back pretty quickly with treatment.

Yeah, I know, we are on a first name basis with everyone at the vet because we are there so often. I hope this helps!

· Registered
3,046 Posts
Jaxon has something similar. It looks like mosquiito or ant bites but when you pick at them they have little scabs then a spot of hair where it is located falls out. His are on his sides and back. They don't bother him at all. No scratching or wiggling while I look at them and rub them and such.

· Registered
3,046 Posts
Just a thought but looking at your picture it looks like Demodex mange to me. Did the vet do a scraping??

· Registered
Pluto
1 Posts
Hi Everyone my boxer Triton has these little bumps on his skin under his coat. There fairly small and each one is a little different in shape and size it almost looks like hives that we would get. He has never had these in past years. If I pet him on these his leg starts going to scratch, they are very sensitive to make him itch. They are mostly on his two front shoulders but just recently started spreading around a bit.

Has anyone seen these on their dogs. I have been treating him for fleas and ticks just to be sure, but have never found fleas, ticks, or any other bugs around the house. I feed him oragin food and give him dream coat in his food as well. He has been on oragin for a long time with no problems until now. Been taking the dream coat for about two weeks but has made no difference. I thought it might be the wood stoves drying him out which I'm sure they do a bit but I figured the oil would counter act that.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
My Boxer has what you describe but they do not appear to be itchy to him. I will attach a photo. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thank you

· Registered
113 Posts

Any thoughts?
Yes, I have had this happen to one of my Boxers. Mine was an allergy to chicken in the dog or to contact with Febreeze. Both made this happen. I changed him over to a Lamb based food and never used Febreeze anymore and he was fine. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts