Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Foot went to the vet today. She had to get some shots and I wanted her heart worm tested (came back fine) and I wanted a worm check (also came back fine)
So then came the big question since she has no worms why is she not gaining weight? I talked to the vetabout my concerns. he asked a lot of questions....what her poo looked liked, how much she was eating, how much play time she gets.
I told her that most of her poo looks ok but she gets some that is very soft and a funny yellow tan color. She is eating atleast 2 meals a day (more when the kids sneak her food) She is eating dry food with wet food mixed in it. She plays a lot outside we have a large yard that is fenced in.
So we are back to trying to figure out why she is still not gaining. She is 48.8 lbs and 8 months old. We are going to go back to puppy food and now have pills to give her two times a day. So she will get two pills in the morning and two in the evening. They are called Pancreazyme. I was looking on the net about the pills and trying to read up a little about what it is for and I found this site.......  http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articleid=331   It has a lot of info. Some of it does sound like Little Foot also.
The vet did not say Little Foot has a pancreatic disease, but I think that is what he is leaning to right now. We go back to the vet at the end of this month.

Has anyone else had a boxer with this? Or does anyone have any ideas of what else I can do to try to get her to gain some weight?

She does not seem sick at all she is very playful, loves to eat and drink, and is super sweet. I hate not knowing what is wrong with my puppy :(

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I am sorry i have no idea what that is...Have not experienced it myself. I hope everything goes well and it isnt anything serious!!! My prayers will be with you!! BTW  where in ohio are you?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Does littlefoot look very thin? can you see her spine?  the reason i ask is because my savannah  is 50 lbs at 2 years and she finally looks good. you can barely see the last two ribs (normal) and she eats twice a day. we do add cottage cheese to our food for the extra protien. Reese our baby is 7 months and i think she is right at 38-40 lbs. she is growing though right now so she is a little thin and gangly looking. I dont have expiernce with the meds or the condition, but it honestly may not be anything at all. do you have any current pics we could see and give our opinions on?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah weighed 52lbs at 8.5 months so the weight sounds fine to me.  Are you feeding a good quality dog food.  If not you are getting a lot of waste; I also understand the soft dog food isn't the best.  It is my understanding that boxers don't bulk up until they are 18 months or older so being on the thin side is not unusuall for them.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Hanna is 16 months and weights 53lbs.

What are you concerned and want her to gain weight?   Do you have a photo so we can tell if she is too thin?

Boxers come in all different shapes and sized and to me given her age she sounds just about right -

I just looked at Hanna's vet bills and at 11 months she was 40.8lbs.   Was the vet concerned about her being to thin???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look at the photos I have I dont think I have any that are current (maybe a month or so old) I will try to get updated ones and post them.
As for what she looks like she does look thin. Her sides dip in a lot and her tailbone shows her chest also sinks in.
The reason I brought it up with my vet was because my mother in law has a boxer almost 2 months younger then Little Foot and he is filled out a lot better then Little Foot. I thought it was just from her growing. She was not gaining as fast as she was growing and she plays and runs so much she was burning a lot of it off. But the vet said she is thin. (his world pretty thin) atleast he did not say she was sick looking (thin wise)
The food she is on right now is kibbles and bits. We have gone through a few different foods because she is rather picky.
I never thought of cottage cheese, does it cause any problems...as in soft poos or anything. I have always been told not to give dogs milk because it will give them the runs.

Any suggestions on a good food to get her on?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Here is a link for a discussion on foods, if you scroll down to the botton of the first post from Samsonsmom you will see the foods they have graded.  This should give you a good selection to choose from (any A's or A+'s).

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... ight=foods

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here are a few pictures I took while I took Little Foot out tonight and one picture from a few weeks ago.

I dont think she looks as thin in these pictures as she looks in person.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If any part of her spine is visible, including her tail bone, then I would be concerned..You want them to be lean, yea, but not anorexic...The standard calls for a curve inwards towards their back end and if you look at show dogs, you can see what I'm referring to....She is still a puppy, keep that in mind, they burn a ton of energy and are growing fast as well. She may need to just catch up....Also, I would much rather have a boxer that is on the thin side, than have to deal with an overweight one, it's not healthy and as they get older there could be additional complications...

Try giving her a "protein treat" in the middle of the day, mine love Kongs stuffed with low fat plain yogurt & peanut butter. Freeze it for a few hours and let her have at it...Keeps them occupied for awhile and it's good for them too..You can also cut up a banana and add it to the mix as well..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Any suggestions on a good food to get her on?
Oh no anything but kibbles and bits.  Trust me, use that thread find a good food and you will see AWESOME results.

Reason why she is not filling out maybe because kibble and bits has nothing of any nutritional value being asorbed into her system, so she poops basically what she is eating out.

Get her on a good kibble, and not only will she be pooping less, she is going to thrive off it nutritionally.   She has a beautiful coat.   Not that bad skinny, but a good kibble and some healthy lean proteins will cure in not time!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Is this the Little Foot that is in the longest tongue contest along with Kiah??? I thought I recognized the name when I was looking for Kiah!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we have not had any problems with Savannah or Reese's  stool being soft. We give one spoonful with the meal twice daily.  we also would give a pb sandwich to the girls in the afternoon as a protien snack. they love 'em. Reese is the only one who will mess with the kong, but she gets bored with it very quickly. Savannah will want it when Reese has it, and if she gets it then she doesnt want it anymore!! boxers.. :roll: gotta love 'em

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes Little Foot is in the contest she is also in for the biggest paw. lol

I am having hubby look at the list of dog foods so we can go get a good food for her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts