Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...we are proud new boxer owners of a 4 month old boxer. The problem that we are having is with his skin all of a sudden. He has developed little red bumps all over his belly. They seem to be more so on the side that he lays on us to sleep. I have developed these little bumps on my arm and side that he lays on as well. I thought maybe a heat rash but I think that would be too easy. I cant see these bumps being allergy related because I have got what ever it is from him. Does anybody have a clue what this could be?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we love to see lots of pictures.

Have you noticed any fleas?  They would cause red bumps like that since you don't believe it is allergies.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It does sound like fleas, any itching or scratching? That's a sure sign..Welcome to the forum by the way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took Rocco to the vet yesterday and he had a check up and a skin scrape. I was told that he had a case of dermodex mites. I have researched this and have found out that this can not be passed on to humans. I have been to my doctor today and was told that I have a form of scabies on me. The vet gave my pup a shot of pen-aqueous 100ml and a couple tubes of advantage multi..he is also on an antibiotic. I am hoping this will kill the scabies that I think he has as well. I have heard that it is very difficult to see scabies under a microscope so I am hoping this medication will kill both.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is possible to see sarcoptic mange under a microscope, but yes sometimes it is difficult to find the actual mite to see it.

It is however very odd for a dog to have both kinds of mange at the same time (Demodectic and Sarcoptic), but this can happen.  It would have always had the demodex and then been exposed to the sarcoptic somewhere along the way.  

It is true that people can not get demodectic mange and it is also true that people can get Sarcoptic mange, which presents itself in people as scabies. You will just need to wash your hands very well after touching your pup and also wash all your pups bedding area really well....

The thing I find odd and not to get into questioning your vet is this:

( The vet gave my pup a shot of pen-aqueous 100ml and a couple tubes of advantage multi..he is also on an antibiotic )

The pen-aqueous 100 ml is basically a Penicillin injection, any antibiotic by mouth in a pill form or a liquid is just that an antibiotic and probably all used to treat a secondary skin infection from the mites either sores or from scratching.  The Advantage Multi treat for heartworms, hookworms, roundworms and whipworms.

There is nothing in any of these items that kills demodectic or sarcoptic mange......So if this is all you got or all they did I would make sure to call them and ask what they are going to give you to kill the mange...If they are not familiar with treating it then it may be wise to seek out another vet who is........Otherwise, your pup will be getting worse and not better.......

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are some sites that say it will.  I have not had sucess/expierence in it on sarcoptic...it is not indicated for demodectic and here is what Bayer itself (the company who makes it says it is used for)  I could be wrong and it may do fine.....

Key Benefits1:
100 percent effective at preventing heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis, as shown in clinical trials.
100 percent effective treatment and control of hookworm infections caused by Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala (adults, immature adults and fourth stage larvae).
Up to 98.2 percent effective treatment and control of roundworm infections caused by Toxocara canis (adults and fourth stage larvae).
Up to 100 percent effective for the treatment and control roundworm infection caused by Toxascaris leonina (adults).
Up to 98.6 percent effective treatment and control of whipworm infections caused by Trichuris vulpis (adults).
Safe and effective, when used topically as directed, for dogs and puppies that are at least seven weeks of age and that weigh at least three pounds.

G

·
0 Posts
Bruce gets some redness on his belly sometimes, but its from crawling under coffee tables and our bed.  Looking forward to him being larger so he can't hide!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was talking with my vet about the advantage multi not curing demodex mange or scabies. If you go onto Bayers US website it does not claim to kill these mites...but if you select the Canadian website it claims to be very good at treating and preventing these nasty mites. My major concern is if this is going to be a life long battle with mange or once it clears up and he gets older he will be able to fight it off. The vet told us that he looked  a little thin and we should up food..she said that could maybe be the problem..we are very concerned with this as his mange is now covering most of his body. I had talked to the vet that checked him when he was born and she had said that the mom and dad have never been treated at her clinic for mange. I am hoping its a onetime thing, but everything I have read on the internet states that it is usually a lifelong problem when it becomes generalized as a puppy. I am at whits end on what to do with our puppy, we have a cocker spaniel that has been an infected mess for the past five years and I dont know if we are prepared to have two dogs that are going to be a problem for the next ten years. Please give me some good stories on this mange problems.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
In my experience and my pups that had the demodex which is 3 out of 4 pups, it went away and never had problems again. When Sam had mange, we did the dips and that was awful for us and him. When we got Lucy, she had it too and we did the liquid Ivermectin. She got rid of it in less time without all the trauma of those darn dips...I would highly recommend if your vet thinks it is an option. You can buy it at a local feed store. It is not FDA approved to treat demodex but it works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you know how much liquid Ivermectin to give them...is it by the weight of the puppy? How did you get your pup to take it...I have heard that it is terrible tasting.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I personally think that you would have better luck with the Ivermectin as well.  That is what I have used on my own pet with Demo and also that is what we treat at work with along with Tacktic and Amatraz dips.....I just cant see the Advantage working but again I could be wrong.  I would think it would be a longer process to clear with it in the least.

A word of caution on the Ivermectin....Please dont just go to the feed store get some and use it....because if over dosed it can cause liver damage and in some cases death of your dog....It is GREAT to treat demo but you have to be cautious....I would just tell your vet that you want to use it and have them give you the dosage you have an option of doing it as an injection or orally. I prefer the injections and have cleard a hairless dog demo case in about 7 weeks with it......

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Both my dogs had scabies and I used the ivermectrin ORALLY and neither seemed to be bothered by the taste of it.  It isn't a huge amount and you just squirt the clear liquid into their mouths and I had no problems giving it.  Of, course, I made sure to give them a treat afterward.  I was told by my vet that scabies is host specific and that the scabies mites might jump on me and bite but wouldn't live on me as they would the dogs.  As soon as the dogs were cleared of it I was too without taking any medicine myselfl.  I was really a pain going through it though.

Nano

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the latest update with poor Rocco....he is getting worse and worse as the days go on so I took him to the vet today with no appointment. I told the girl at the front desk that I would like the vet to have a quick look at him to see if I should wait till his next appointment or try treating him with something else. I was told that if I wanted her to look at him for a few minutes that I would have to pay the $ 50.00 for an examination fee. I told the girl that we have spent over a thousand dollars at her clinic and I didn't feel we should have to pay for her to look at him to make sure he was okay. We have got terrible service from this vet and I dont think we have had proper advice on what we should be doing for Rocco. Long story short we have went to a different vet and will be seeing the new vet next week. They had asked us what we was on and I had said advantage multi and they told us that they would try him on invomec or interceptor to treat the mites.We are hoping the change in vets will help our puppy get beter as the mites are taking over his entire body.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That sounds like good news and I am sorry that you had to go through it with your pup and the other vet.  I can not say that I disagree that the route of the Advantage was not a good one with Demo.... :(   When talking with your new vet I would just let them know you prefer the Ivermectin treatments and the reason is that they will work faster then Interceptor....Hope you get it straight soon!!!!!  Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts