Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi! First of all I apologize if there is an "introduction" section in which you are supposed to introduce yourself first!

My fiance and I currently have a 2 year old female Boxer named Bella. We have been pondering for a while on getting another Boxer (male) as we absolutely LOVE her. Now here is my question! Among all of these Boxer Forums on the net, there are plenty of members from overseas (England, UK, Germany, etc).... and I can't help but notice that their boxers look a little different (for the MOST part)! They have much shorter muzzles and appear a little larger than Boxers here--- then again in the US there are LOTS of poorly bred boxers, as I'm sure there are overseas as well.

We've decided that since we can't quite afford to just collect Boxers, and this next one we get will probably be our last for a while (we'll be up to 3 dogs then!), that we would like to do EVERYTHING perfect, and what not--- meaning health tests, etc... and meaning we'd like to have that "foreign look" (I know this isn't exactly the right way to put it, but I can't think of a better way). We are not showers nor breeders, and therefor our puppy would obviously be fixed so registration in the US is honestly unimportant to us. Also, I do believe in Germany, they do not dock tails, and a personal preference of mine IS docked tails.
My dilemna which I need help with is HOW to do this! Obviously this is going to take a while, and we are prepared to wait, and spend a considerable amount of money to get just what we are hunting for- and we would prefer to even fly overseas to "pick up" the puppy ourselves, and meet the breeder, etc. I know in the US there are Boxer Clubs for specific regions, however I'm not sure how this all works in Europe.
Just to clarify on what it is that I really enjoy about a majority of the European boxers here are two pictures, one of what is in my opinion an "American Boxer", and one of a "European Boxer" (Obviously, I know there is not a breed difference, but to me, there is a considerable difference in appearance).
http://www.dogsindepth.com/working_dog_ ... og_h02.jpg (American)
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/imgarticles/henri.jpg (European)

Now clearly, I have talked a lot lol I probably have not made much sense, but HOPEFULLY someone understands what I am trying to say!!

Incase not, my question is how would I go about locating a REPUTABLE Boxer breeder from Europe? *US Registration is not required, and travelling would be welcome!

G

·
0 Posts
There are breeders in America who breed from Euro lines.  Hannabanana might know of a few in America, I know her two are Euro line boxers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Locating a reputable breeder in the UK, the best bet is to contact the Kennel Club who will supply a list of approved breeders and you can then research from there on the web. I got Clay from Glenauld Boxers in Scotland, sorry I haven't yet posted a pic, still trying to find time to download them but Glenauld have tons of shows with their puppies so far in 2008 and have a great website showing pics etc.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
(To be fair, that's not the most flattering photo of the US dog ;) - it would be more representative if his mouth were closed, his collar was placed correctly (so the dewlap wasn't all bunched up under his chin) and he dropped about seven pounds. :) )

If you do it on your own, it will take a lot of groundwork and probably a few trips overseas - not only so that you can meet the breeders, but so that they can meet you.  When selling a dog to another country, there's very little chance for hands-on follow-up, and so breeders are much more hesitant to do so.  There are, of course, "good" and "bad" breeders in any country, but be aware that in Europe (the Continent) a higher number of commercial or substandard breeders seem to be in Poland and Hungary.   Your other option is to work through someone who has developed a relationship with a breeder(s) overseas, and who is trusted to screen buyers on the breeder's behalf.  (This sounds a bit like a "broker" or "importer" - and there are such people - but that's not what I'm talking about.)  There are a number of people who have imported dogs into the US, and a small handful who have imported more than one.  Kti at www.globalboxers.com has facilitated a number of imports; George and Cathy at www.boxersvonbachbett.com have imported a number of dogs, as well, but I'm not sure if they do so for others or only for their own program.

If you like Henri, you want to look at the UK Boxers (generally speaking "European" Boxers mean Boxers on the Continent - some, including me, prefer to call them Continental to make this distinction; there is a difference in general style between Continental and UK Boxers, so to speak of one is not to speak of the other).  That is Kti's main area; she has imported a few Continental dogs but she lived in the UK for a while and has developed relationships with many of the breeders there.  There is also, as was mentioned, a small contingent of breeders who have these imported dogs and are breeding those lines in this country - both blending them with the NA lines and breeding the imports together.  That's certainly the easier - and less expensive - way to go!  (I believe the last I heard it was about $3750 to import a Boxer from the UK, including shipping and with the exchange rate - that was a year or more ago, so no doubt that will be closer to $5000 by this time.)  You aren't likely to get a long tail from this country, though (the UK has now lost the right to dock, as well, so you will get one from there).

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
There are a handful of great breeder with European Lines dogs here in the US.   If you have your heart set on importing, best bet is to get to know a kennel online, go visit them and then see if you can get a pup.   The problem with getting a pup imported from a breeder you dont know is that you may not be getting a good one.  Also many of the top european kennels will not sell to anyone they dont know personally - to protect their lines and reputation of their kennel name.

I have two European Lines dogs which I purchased here in the US.  Like Newcastle said, if you like the "UK" style lets call it, best to work with Kti Jensen of Global Boxers.  She has imported many UK lined dogs that are not breeding to other UK lines here in the US.   Lot easier to get one in the US then have to go thru all the red tape, customs what not from importing.

If you like the "Euro" syle which IMO is the extreme to the NA style, with the UK style being somewhat in the middle there are a couple of awesome litters coming up - Larsen Boxers in Washington State.   My dogs Sire has a 100% German Line on the ground, as well as Boxen Boxers and Von Bachbett as Jennifer said.

Also you have to look at the lines of the dog.  Some are bred for strictly working and they may posses a higher energy in their Temperments, where  as some are not bred for working just true to the roots of the line.   However in the US you have to be VERY careful because some people use the term "EURO" or "GERMAN" as a selling ploy.  This normally means they will up the price due to the lines.   Also make sure they are health tested.  European Dogs are know for bad backs, so best to make sure the dog is coming from great parents who have been evaluates and health tested.   Also many brokers in the US go overseas and purchase dogs that may have a heart condition, bad back or something else that others would deem unbredable.   These brokers will sell the pup to someone here in the US who will use it as a stud or a whelping bitch to 1. produce bad puppies, and 2 to make money off their bloodlines regardless of how health the dog is.

So it all comes down to what you are looking for, and to what extreme you want to get it.   IMO I would stick to buying a dog with a foreign pedigree here in the US.  The Euro is sooo strong against the dollar you could get probablly the top of the line bred dog from a sub-par one from importing.   If you need any help, please feel free to PM (Private message) me and I will gladly help you out with some kennels here in the US that have foreign pedigree dogs:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Specially you Hanna! :) We definitely are willing to spend whatever it takes to get that "look" we like from a reputable breeder. I do know everything pertaining to searching for and locating a well-bred American boxer, it's just the overseas stuff that gets me! And Like Hanna said, so many people will throw a "german" or "european" in front of their boxers to sell for more money in the US!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also wanted to point out that *correctly bred* Euros are NOT bigger. In fact, many *Am bred* dogs are bigger than they should be, as this is a problem that we're currently encountering in the breed here.

A correct boxer is a medium sized dog. If a breeder is breeding to get big, they're not breeding to get a good boxer, IMO.

And I agree with Jennifer. The American bred dog that you linked above is not the most flattering photo (okay, well, the photo is horrible). Nor do I feel that he's a particularly great example of a nice headpiece, which may be bothering you as well.

As for muzzle length, you'll have differences no matter where you go. My Am bred girl, Mia's muzzle is very short (too short). One of my friend's dogs is half Italian, half Hungarian and he's much more correct in that area, as his muzzle is longer and more to the standard than my girl's is.

Generally speaking, we should all be breeding to the same standard (with minor differences across countries). The best boxers from any country will conform to one standard and look very similar in the end. It's just a matter of finding a well bred boxer all around that becomes the hard part. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts