Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, Logan has been back to the vet twice now since the surgery last Thurs. The first few days were great. Let me just say I luv the vet so I don't think any of this is him but I'm not understanding why Logan seems to have such a low immune system and nothing seems to be the norm when he has it. First visit was Tues, my hubby came home at lunch to check on him he was fine, got home 4hrs later and it looked like the balls were back! Very swollen so we went to the vet. Dr. said normal swelling he probably got at it with the edge of the cone not to worry. Come Thurs the swelling was worse now bruising and he wouldn't sit down, went back to the Dr. and now he had a slight temp. So antibiots it is and more pain meds with the anitiflamatory. Now Sat and there are bumps in the area that look like poison ivy? We do have it in our yard and we have been outside I'm so confused should I be worried its the infection or does he have poison ivy?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
I don't know abt poison ivy, as I live on the west coast. I know years ago, my cats were into playing in the poison oak, without any dire consequences, before I eradicated it from my yard. My thought would be it has more to do with Logan's surgery, but maybe Sharon will check in with an opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so, the more I'm thinking of this the more it is making me sick. He is on antibiotics so I'm trying not to be worried. I'm thinking another vet visit wouldn't hurt but what else can they really do for him.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,576 Posts
Poor baby. Hope you get some definitive answers for your sake as well as Logan's. Sucks when your babies don't feel good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Alicia just posted something about this recently and I believe what you can do is give Logan a bath and any of the Poison Ivy would be removed..It hangs around in the hair if I remember right....If you are pretty certain that Logan could have gotten in it, then that's probably what it is, but I guess my concern is with him just having surgery, if it's allright to bathe him or not..Sorry, I wish I could be more help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,349 Posts
I would go see a vet.  You could give benadryl (the original formula with Diphenydramine HCI)1 caps or tabs every 6 -8 hours for every 25 pounds of weight.  If it is and allergic reaction that would help.  It could be an allergic reaction to the sutures too but only a vet would know for sure.  Have you tried putting a very warm poultice on it?  That would help with the swelling.  Also keeping them quiet after the surgery (i'm assuming he was neutered) is a big help in keeping swelling down.

Nano
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top