Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday when I got home from work I noticed that both of Lola's ears were bright red, and she had scratched the front of them really bad.  She also had a bump on her leg.  So I took her to the vet last night and she ended up having a yeast infection and bacteria in both her ears, and the bump was a bug bite.  The vet gave me Otomax Cream to put in her ears and on the scratches.  She also said to give her Benadryl every 8 hours.  
This is the 2nd time she's had yeast infections, and she's had conjuntivitis 3 times.  She has really bad allergies and she's constantly scratching herself to the point where she's making her neck and ears bleed.  I hate to see her like this, and I hate even more the vet bills that stacking up...but of course I'm going to keep bringing her to the vet!  So, my question is.....is there anything that can be done to help with the allergies and the scratching.  My bf said to put mittens on her...he was laughing, but if she'd keep them on I'd probably do it!  I've tried the oatmeal bath....the vet said I should start doing that once a week now.  And I've switched her food from Eukanuba to Canidea, but it's only been 2 weeks so I'm sure that needs time to kick in.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks everyone!  Lola appreciates your help, she's very itchy and miserable!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Re: Lola had to go to the vet last night.....need some advic

I've heard the cultures in yogurt really help prevent yeast infections in humans, and perhaps it would help Lola.  Sorry to hear she's having problems and hope you get it under control really quick.  I feed Canidae as well, but have notice Kane scratching like crazy.  My vet said we don't have flea problems here (and he doesn't), but there are lots of fall pollens in the air here and she thinks that could be causing it.  I'm trying the yogurt and looking into the Salmon Oil that Timberwolf sells to enhance the natural oils in his system.  Let us know what you find out.  We'll keep you in our prayers too.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Oh boy, when I first got Maddie she would scratch her ears until they were almost raw. No mites or anything else detected, I just switched her food and started her on an ear cleansing regimen. After going through about three different brands of ear wash I finally found something that works. Tea tree oil. I was cleaning her ears daily and now I only clean them once a week. No more scratching. I would try ear wash, doesn't matter which brand just make sure it has tea tree oil in it. Good stuff! Some dogs just have more sensitive ears then others, so they may need more frequent cleanings. Also, I think the weather plays a big role, especially if it is real humid outside. Good luck to you and Lola. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

So sorry to hear that Lola is so uncomfortable. I hope she makes a quick recovery. Like Kate said, the yogurt should help. Hang in there and give Lola a kiss from Sadie and me. Please keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Sure hope she gets better and stops that scratching, poor baby. Kiah sends a big boxer kiss from us and give her a hug from us too.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Sorry to hear about Lola!  I hope she is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

I am with ya sister on alergies.

Hanna has had three yeast infections in the ears.  Finally stopped with diet, adding fish oils to diet and the liquid echinacea.   We use a perscription ear cleaner - opti-cleanse.   Soad a gauze pad and stick it in the ear once a week.   The dogs ear is in the shape of an "L" so by putting the gauze in there, flipping over the ears and them massage them they will not hurt them.  Pull out the gauze - and then huck it.

I have an extra bottle.  

For seasonal alergies, they are bad this year.   Have you tried to put her on a Temeral ?  (it a low does mile steriod) or use a topical spray called Genesis.   Those have helped me TONS!!!

You can go to any store  - trader joes has salmon oil too  - and its cheaper!!   Its an ongoing battle, however watch for the feet too.  They scratch their ears with their feet, some of the yeast can get to the toes.   Then it just goes back and forth!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Ok  I am hearing a lot about this Genesis spray stuff. Where do you buy it?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

tootsie\";p=\"29773 said:
Ok I am hearing a lot about this Genesis spray stuff. Where do you buy it?
I looked it up and you need a perscription for it.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

WE USE THE GENESIS ALSO..WE HAVE THE SPRAY AND THE CREAM...ISIS HAS THE ITCHIES AND DOES THE SAME THING

THE STUFF IS GREAT...IF YOU ASK YOUR VET IM SURE THEY WILL GIVE IT TO YOU..THATS WHAT WE DID... :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

kiahsmom\";p=\"29780 said:
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"29773":3jhiy5gj]
Ok I am hearing a lot about this Genesis spray stuff. Where do you buy it?
I looked it up and you need a perscription for it.[/quote:3jhiy5gj]

It is made by a company called Allerderm-Virbac.  Most vet's have this or a product like it.  It is perscription, but can be sold OTC at the vet....Just call and ask them, if you have been see there for skin problems. It is GREAT for allergy skin, hot spots and chewing between toes and all that type of stuff.  It has a bitter to it to help stop/control licking. It is also suppose to be as effective as prednisone.  I have some that use it and swear by it and others that have said it has not helped.  So, again with everything else it goes back to treating the individual pet.  :D

·
Registered
70 Posts

That is just aweful! I am sorry your baby is having such a bad time right now!
I can tell it must be very frustrating for you as well!
I really hope something helps to sooth her itchyness and I may have to look into something myself as I am suspecting Zuri might be having ear troubles as well!
Let me know if you find something that works best for you!
Many puppy hugs & licks to you and Lola!

·
Registered
165 Posts

Alicia, sorry to hear of Lola's problems. Allergies & yeast are normally treated differently.   We have dealt extensively w/ yeast issues with my  toy poodle.  One month our vet bill was  over Two thousand dollars.  The problem continued to worsen despite vet meds, including steriods, which is dangerous to dogs longterm.  Chopin, the poodle, lost all the hair on all 4 legs, suffered w/ chronic ear problems, the skin turned to an elephant hide condition.  I decided to try a more natural remedy.  I know some on this forum dont agree w/ supplements but the results I personally witnessed were extraordinary.  Check out the website www.enzymes.com  There is abundant info on yeast problems w/ solutions that worked.  Today Chopin doesnt suffer like he did & the hair has grown back except for a vey small patch on one leg.
Sorry for the long post.  Feel free to pm if you have any questions or post a reply here.
Oh, baking soda in the bath helps w/ the smell & will reduce itchness for a little while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts