Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello BF Folks,

I've been putting off this post for over a year now, but our two beloved boxer boys, Spike and Rocco are chillin' together at the bridge. Not counting the last few days, I don't think I've posted here much since the com vs. org schism, lol... It's nice to see a few familiar screen names still active.

Spike was my first boxer, a rescue from BRLA. He was about 2 when he came home with me and he was the absolute OPPOSITE of how we think of the breed. Spike was a very serious fellow. Loving and cuddly with his family but aloof with strangers and seemingly always on alert. Boxer burns for him were few and far between. He wasn't bouncy with the happy-go-lucky attitude that boxers are known for. Luckily, I really didn't know any better. It was like he was a german shepherd, disguised as a boxer, lol... I was lucky to have him as my "unfunny buddy" for just over 10 years. He eventually succumbed, as near as I could tell, to the effects of old age and what appeared to be "canine dementia", if there is such a thing. When he started wandering in circles and getting stuck in the corner of a room, we knew iit was time. He passed at home, with the assistance of a very compassionate vet, at nearly 13 years old.

We got Rocco (Telstar's Rock 'em Sock' em Robot) from a very reputable local breeder. As 1 of 2 white boxers in his litter, Rocco was the largest and last one out. His adult life, he was always between 75-80 lbs. Rocco was the perfect foil to his big brother, Spike. Where Spike was serious and reserved, Rocco was happy and ready to go home with you. He kept his puppy personality for his whole life- white boxers are ageless, aren't they? Spike and Rocco were an instant pair- kind of like Abbott & Costello, but dogs (I'm dating myself, aren't I?). We always got the sense that Spike put up with Rocco's shenanigans because he didn't have the heart to put him in his place, haha! On the day that Spike passed, Rocco was acting strangely- he couldn't settle and wouldn't eat or drink. My wife convinced me to bring him to the vet. I described what I had been seen and xrays were taken. Once the image was pulled up on the monitor, I knew. His stomach had flipped and as I glanced over at him, he was beginning to show signs of bloat. I made the decision, but quickly went home to retrieve my wife. We were both able to take Rocco on one last walk that night together. Rocco was 10 years old the night he met his best friend on the bridge.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well I guess I should have read this post first and then the other one. So your new White Boxer, is your second, White Boxer Male. I get that but your leaving a lot of pig headed and stubborn on the table with a Boy instead of a non Brindle girl. :)

And I am gonna say (and it makes no sense??) But Brindle Female's don't count in the pig headed and stubborn and I don't wanna do it, thing?? They (the Brindle's) seem to be real quick learner's for some reason??

Moving on yeah a year is a long time to do a update on your losses. But it can be very,very hard to do post to the "Rainbow Bridge." I broke down into tear's several time's, as I was posting my loss of my Struddell many years' ago. But what she had to say, can help other's with there loss so I'll post it here for you.

And Spike ... LOL ... you said "It was like he was a German Shepherd, disguised as a boxer, lol... I was lucky to have him as my "unfunny buddy" for just over 10 years."

Now that's odd because "that," is the reason I am highly suspect of the "Euro Boxer's!" My Stru was a 100 % all American Girl. And for her, "people were the best thing since Baked Bread!!"

And I tend to say about the Euro's ... "I don't want a WL GSD, in a Boxer Suit." So yeah ... but my Stru ...

I had to front yard, proof her, to keep her from Walking or Driving off with a stranger! It worked, she was "Proofed and Bullet Proof," on the front yard! IE ... "well I'd like to go with you but Dad say's I can't leave the front yard, so yeah." :)

I kinda "foolish thought," all dog's were that (People Friendly??) Year's later when I got my first "WL GSD," Rocky. I quickly discovered that uh NO! Rocky was most definitely not a dog at risk of "Dog Napping!"

It took me month's to get him to the point where he was "safe," with guest in the home. "IE," nice to see you ... when you leaving??

Good enough ... he stayed by feet and I made it "Crystal Clear," to guest ... "to not even think about asking to pet him!"

And Bloat ... yeah that suck's! It's something I alway's worry about and I always tend to favor
"Bloat Prone Dog's??"

Anyway, round one?? Seems to have gone pretty well. So here' hope this time it goes just as well and hopefully just a bit better! And though it is late in coming ... "Sorry for your loss." Take Care.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chip,

I can really "read" the genuine love and admiration that you have for your dogs, from how you talk about them in your posts. Yeah, I really can't believe how hard it was to post here about it- really surprised me.

I had some downtime at work today and finally decided to do it. I must admit, I got a little teary-eyed as I proofed my work.

Gunnar the gsd, unfortunately, didn't come to us with much history other than his birthday and the knowledge that his former home burned down. I agree that he has more of a euro look to him and he certainly moves better than many shepherds that I see daily, in my neighborhood. His size kind of hints to me that he's got some "working line" blood in him. He's 25" and 74lbs- right smack in the middle of the standard and much smaller than the typical byb American style shepherd that so many of us have grown accustomed to seeing. People always think he's still growing or a female (he's actually the same size as a female gsd down the street).

Anyway, wifey and I are looking forward to our little family's future adventures.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Rainbow Bridge ... is not easy. And a lot of member's find there way here thru, the "Heart Break Trail," it would seem??

I did not of "Dog Park's," many, many years ago when I suffered the lost of my first Boxer/Pit and sigh my first PB Boxer shorter there after!! And it was really, really bad! As in clinically diagnosed PTSD, Drug Therapy for years kinda bad. But ... hey I got better. :)

I have seen one or two cases over the year's, just as bad?? And I try and help if I can?? There was one a several month's month's and they disappeared?? I hope they are OK??

And your current GSD at 74 lbs'?? LOL ... well that was the "AKC," norm! Most likely he came from an Old School Breeder??

75 pound's "used to be the standard spec," for Wl GSD's! The American Line GSD's, were alway's bigger and flasher! 75 lbs' "used," to be standard spec for the Wl GSD by the AKC?? As they were a "medium sized dog??" But ... they GSD's have gotten larger and heavier??

last I looked the AKC "now," list spec as 90 to 95 lbs's?? For the GSD, and while in Boxer World the diffrence between a Euro Boxer and an American Line Boxer ... is no big deal for the most part?? In GSD land ... the diffrence between an AL GSD and a Euro is a Huge Freaking Deal!!

A GSD is "suppose," to be "75 lbs!" But they no longer are for the most part?? And the Working Dog people ... blame "American's and the BYB,," industry for the change.

American's tend to luv big dog's! On Geramnshepardfroum, It goes on and on! It is a raging debate! And the Working Dog folk's blame JQP, for the demise of the breed as a working dog. And the military finally chimed in and said in essence ... "screw it!"GSD's are out! 75 lbs dog's only ... so they created there own breeding program program and it's Mal's only! and 75 lbs' max weight!

LE does not care as long as the dog has the right "Drive's," it does not matter how large they are and really ... the bigger the better! Uh until they lose control of them ... another story.

But GSD's and what today's GSD's are like?? Well they are not a dog for a fool's! Germanshepardforum.com and the "aggression forum." Should be any newbie Wl GSD's first stop. Serious freaking issue's roll in "every day!"

And LOL ... AKC specs' them out to 95 lbs' now and increase but my Rocky was 113 lbs! And you could feel the hate!
But rest assure he was not alone! And he was solid Black and honestly by looking I could not tell a Wl GSD from another cept for AL Show Line (and yeah ... people at least try and be somewhat polite as regard's those guy's ...)
but my guy was a seven month old with "Wobbler's." And where he came from was "cloaked in mystery??" I was friend's with the rescue I got him from and she would not tell me where he came from??

I deemed him a Wl GSD by temperament and behavior! High Rank Drive (which no one has any need for) but a WL GSD, thing and his attitude with people! He did not like uh ... like anyone! Other than me my wife and Struddell (White Boxer.) Soo my American Band Dawg, Gunther was not acceptable ....

Sigh ... lot's to learn but we got over over it and ... after a lot of work with him ... on one occasion he came to my aid without command and unexpectedly ... when I slipped on the ice and went down while shielding him from two attacking dog's! It was freaking awesome!! And under full observation of LE as it happened!!!

He had caused me a lot of grief, and sent me to the ER for stitches (breaking up a pack fight) and had my blood run cold with how he greeted company in the home?? But we got thru that part. But yeah when he saved me unbid from that last dog (i had stopped one) ... he broke command, when Daddy went down?? Well this is different and perhp's I should my presence known??? Cuz I had told him to stay (behind me)but after that ... he became "my dog!" And he was freaking awesome!! But nonetheless, "I" would still not recommend a WL GSD to anyone I know! And my stand ... is better for the breed, as they are not a dog for tool's! :)

But that does not include you of course. I de-crate trained him out the gate ( a mistake) and yeah he was great with obedience (it meant nothing!) and that would prove to be a "Hugh Mistake??" And beyond that ... I did all the Boxer ... sigh my dog like's people so whatever stuff?? I had no idea, what I had ... live and learn. :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Gee Chip your description of WL GSD really makes me think. When I had mine albeit over 30 years ago they were much more stable than your average American line. Both my American lines leaned more toward having an aggressive streak in them while my wl German GSD was stable. He was a big boy back then, if I remember he was in the 90 lbs range. Boy I still miss that dog today. I could have anyone come into my home his only quirk was he would go sit at the door when they wanted to leave and I had to tell him it was ok. LOL That particular dog gave me a keen love into dogs and into obedience training. I got involved with a local GSD club and I must say they taught me tons about training my dogs. Today though, your right everything is different so I can only imagine how dogs too have changed.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
LOL well they have not really changed much in the Working Work, weight wise?? They were a lot of the Sport Dog Crowd with 90 to 95 pound-ers. But you had to smoke them out. Weight was just one of the factor's for the military.

Helping dog's up over and threw obstacle's can put a big burden on the troop's?? To say nothing of repelling down a cliff or a building with 95 lbs of dog strapped to your rear?? So they settled on Mal's and 75 lbs as the max weight. LE does not care, 90 to 95 lb's is good by them. :)

AL GSD's have changed also?? And not for the good, weak nerves, nervous and skittish is some of what those that know usually say?? If you want a more ... flashy GSD and not a GSD as "Sharp," as a WL GSD. The consensuses seems to be get a West German Show-line.

And the WL dog's LOL and why (regular folk's) can have uh ... "issue's." is because they are bred to bite! That is what they do??? It's up to the owner to put a "clam," on that tendency. Some can do but lot's of folk's ... who not have them in the first place ... not so much?? And that is not my assessment.

It was told to me by a friend on Germanshepardforum. MAWL (Mine Are Working Lines) and she had Five WL GSD's of her own?? Well Ok four WL GSD's and one West German Show-line. :)

She helped me out with a question ,I had been searching year's to answer. I had solved my GSD's uh people issue's?? But at the time I had no idea how I had done it?? And where the Human Aggression came from??? I had raised him the same as I had my Band Dawg/ Boxer/Pitt's and Boxer's. But none of it worked (people wise) non of my other dog's had a ... "Dislike for People???" So what had I done wrong??? Where did this very pronounced uh "Dislike for Stranger's," come from??

Well in one PM we surprised each other?? Cuz she was surprised that I was not a "Pro??" Although I had said that numerous times over the years. And I was surprised that she was not just JQP, WL GSD fan?? But in fact she was a "Pro??" A LE K9 trainer??

And by then she knew Rocky and I's story. And understood my search for an answer as to what I had done wrong to "create," Human Aggression in him??? And she said I had done "Nothing Wrong." Biting people was "baked into his "DNA," and uninhibited ... that is what he's gonna do! It was my "job," to put a clamp on it and it sounded like I did just fine. :)

I got lucky when I "accidentally," discoverer-ed he had a people issue?? X-Mas time and we had people over for the first time in month's?? Rocky happened to be (what would be become "Place,") I would discovered year's later and Struddell was well being Struddell! Everybody was coming over to see her! And she was having a great time with the meeting and greeting! Sigh ... but Rocky ... not so much??

He never moved?? Well this seem's odd?? But OK ... I'll go sit next to him. He never moved with all the new arrival's?? But he gave everyone "A cold hard stare and glared at them like they were "Raw Meat??" WTH is this?? And he never moved! And next came a low growl from deep in his chest that, I felt more than heard?? And my blood ran cold! Needless to say ... I let no one "engage with him!!"

And at that point our journey began. Worked out great! I got him to be "People Safe," but not really people friendly! They are "different," but he was most defiantly ... not a "meet and greet kinda dog??" LOL our journey unbeknownst to me ... our journey had just begone?? And Oh yeah under carefully controlled condition's! He proved to have a distinct dislike for "toddler's???"

And yet in a unexpected ..."Crap Happen's??" Situation when confronted by an unexpected "Toddler on site situation?? And no daddy in site to tell him what to do?? He broke command and ... "stepped away!! " And that was a totally independent "choice," on his part?? IE I don't like "toddler's," but I am so suppose to stay in "place??" I am not suppose to bite the crap out of people but ... no daddy in site??

What to do?? Well a toddler is not really a threat?? And no daddy onsite for direction?? Perhaps I'll break command and step away??? Another story but yet again, another my blood ran cold as I ran out the backdoor expecting to scene of utter horror??? 40 lbs' of toddler vs 113 lb's of "proven," toddler unfriendly WL GSD?? Not good! But as I opened the door I first observed the toddler unharmed!! Ok ... then I next look for Rocky, cuz he was not where I told him to be??

Well he did was he was suppose to do! A toddler is not a threat?? But hey I don't like them?? But I am suppose to stay in "Place??" But I don't like "Toddler's?? And I am not suppose to bite the crap out of people and no "Daddy," in site for instruction?? So my call here and not really a threat here... so perhaps?? I'll break command and walk away??

LOL, it was of course the right call on his part! As I opened the door with my heart pounding! I first saw the "Toddler," unharmed! And then I looked for Rocky, he was not where I had him to be?? Well ... he had make to the call and he "chose to break command." and step away!

I saw him about 15 feet away ... standing and smiling at my arrival! It was the right call on his part! And apparently unbeknownst to me at the time?? I had also taught him to make "Good Choices." :)

He was "proved to be a great dog" ... in the long run. And nope if folk's came in the our home, he would tolerate them. But I would let *with few acceptation's," anyone touch him! But when company wanted to leave ... he was not gonna be blocking there way out! IE unlike my Struddlle, Rocky was Happy to see "Folk's leave!" :)

But hey folks's with way more experience then me. Say Wl GSD's are great "Family Pet's??" And I say LOL ... "show me!" I can by what I see. And the Germansheprforum.com, the primer site on Germanshepard's on the internet. Serious, "Aggression issue," roll in daily, still since I got "Banned!" :)

I luv, the breed myself "now," ... But I would not recommend them for most people! And yep in comparison ... "Boxer's," for JQP can be serious "PIA's???" But for the most part ... "Boxer's," will not send an owner to the ER for stitch's or land an in owner in court being sued!

Been a few year's since then ... and nothing has changed?? Cept now the only advise is mostly "Find a Trainer??" And advise on how to find a "complainant one," is kinda lacking??

Boxer's are just a much safer entry into the Working Dog, world for most people. But ... not everything "JQP," learn's from Boxer's carries over to a GSD, uh apparently?? Live and learn as it were. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello BF Folks,

I've been putting off this post for over a year now, but our two beloved boxer boys, Spike and Rocco are chillin' together at the bridge. Not counting the last few days, I don't think I've posted here much since the com vs. org schism, lol... It's nice to see a few familiar screen names still active.

Spike was my first boxer, a rescue from BRLA. He was about 2 when he came home with me and he was the absolute OPPOSITE of how we think of the breed. Spike was a very serious fellow. Loving and cuddly with his family but aloof with strangers and seemingly always on alert. Boxer burns for him were few and far between. He wasn't bouncy with the happy-go-lucky attitude that boxers are known for. Luckily, I really didn't know any better. It was like he was a german shepherd, disguised as a boxer, lol... I was lucky to have him as my "unfunny buddy" for just over 10 years. He eventually succumbed, as near as I could tell, to the effects of old age and what appeared to be "canine dementia", if there is such a thing. When he started wandering in circles and getting stuck in the corner of a room, we knew iit was time. He passed at home, with the assistance of a very compassionate vet, at nearly 13 years old.

We got Rocco (Telstar's Rock 'em Sock' em Robot) from a very reputable local breeder. As 1 of 2 white boxers in his litter, Rocco was the largest and last one out. His adult life, he was always between 75-80 lbs. Rocco was the perfect foil to his big brother, Spike. Where Spike was serious and reserved, Rocco was happy and ready to go home with you. He kept his puppy personality for his whole life- white boxers are ageless, aren't they? Spike and Rocco were an instant pair- kind of like Abbott & Costello, but dogs (I'm dating myself, aren't I?). We always got the sense that Spike put up with Rocco's shenanigans because he didn't have the heart to put him in his place, haha! On the day that Spike passed, Rocco was acting strangely- he couldn't settle and wouldn't eat or drink. My wife convinced me to bring him to the vet. I described what I had been seen and xrays were taken. Once the image was pulled up on the monitor, I knew. His stomach had flipped and as I glanced over at him, he was beginning to show signs of bloat. I made the decision, but quickly went home to retrieve my wife. We were both able to take Rocco on one last walk that night together. Rocco was 10 years old the night he met his best friend on the bridge.

View attachment 136069 View attachment 136070
View attachment 136071
View attachment 136072
View attachment 136073
View attachment 136074
Such beauties, you and your wife must miss them very much. We lost our "ageless white boxer" about 4 months ago. That comment really got to me, miss him so much, he was 14.5, maybe he's hanging with your dogs at the bridge. We decided to get a puppy recently, we ended up with 2 baby boxer brindles, brother and sister. Wondering if we are too old for this. Thanks for sharing your beautiful babies!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Such beauties, you and your wife must miss them very much. We lost our "ageless white boxer" about 4 months ago. That comment really got to me, miss him so much, he was 14.5, maybe he's hanging with your dogs at the bridge. We decided to get a puppy recently, we ended up with 2 baby boxer brindles, brother and sister. Wondering if we are too old for this. Thanks for sharing your beautiful babies!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Bob,
I'm so sorry for your losses, it's so hard. As you have probably seen, I have been on the same journey. It does feel better to let it out there, either that or misery loves company. Love those pics, since you mentioned it, I can see the seriousness in Spikes eyes. I'm sure they are together again.
Take care,
Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts