Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im new to this but here goes.
I have a 2 year old female  boxer.
her tounge looks too big for her mouth its almost like she cant put it all in her mouth .
my question is that normal?
or is this hereditary?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome! Is it all the time or mostly when she is hot or has been exercising. I know that my Lenny has the most outrageous tongue when he's hot. It could easliy cover the whole face of a child (personal experience talking). If it when she is hot, try to cool her down with fluids and rest. A large, flayed tongue is a sign your boxer is over-doing it. If it is all the time maybe someone else can chime in, don't know about that one. Again, welcome.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have to say, Ashley's tongue is lovingly refered to a a "dinner plate" when she get hot.
Just so you know, due to the short nose on a boxer, they compensate with a larger tongue to help the body stay cool. I would only be concerned IF it was not a heat issue, ALL 5 of my past boxers have looked as thought they were serving dinner with the tongue the had haning out from exertion!!  :lol:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Totally normal...as AshleysMom said. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Like everyone else when Kiah is hot her tongue looks huge, people always comment about her long tongue.  You don't notice it when she isn't hot.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
LMAO  -  Yip, def a Boxer thing :D  :D  :D

The longer the walk, the longer and wider Zulus tongue gets :lol:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Some of the boxers in our local rescue have tongues that are just too long for their mouths and the end of it sticks out all the time, tired or not. Don't know if it's hereditary or just a fluke but they're pretty cute :lol: Our two only do it when they're super tired!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: tounge sticks out

I have a 2 year old female. her tounge sticks out of her mouth about 1-2 inches all the time. when she is not excersizing or hot. i was told that it was because of an overbite and cannot get her bread because of it. is this normal ir what?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
No it really isn't a normal trait, but I have seen some boxers with really long tongues that can not fit in their mouth, so it does always stick out. It may be because of the bite, or it could just be that her tongue is too long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts