Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 14 month young boxer Bailey, and i notice the hair on her coat is longer than that of any other boxer iv seen? is there somthing i should be doing, would it be from not grooming her enough?

"Alan" from Ireland.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Max" one of my two male boxers also recently started getting longer fur??  They both had typical short hair, and they both get a bath every Saturday but about two months agao we noticed Max's fur was getting longer.  Zeus' fur is still short and drys in half the time it takes for Max's fur to dry.  Very Strange?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Genetics & breeding plays a big role in that...Angel has a very short, tight coat, very glossy. Samson has longer fur and it's coarse..Angel came from a breeder that does all the right things, Samson(I suspect) is the result of either a mixed breeding or a BYB...So, look to the parents, grandparents etc..The standard states that a Boxer should have a very short tight coat, hence the need to keep them as inside dogs as well....Keep in mind, if you live in a cold climate, your Boxer will grow a winter coat, come spring, they shed like crazy too :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree, it's all in the genes and how they are bred. My male had the longer coarser fur, and Maddie has sleek and silky.   :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also agree on the genes playing a role. Prada's a BYB pup & has a short, tight coat that's glossy & coarse... and Nico has a somewhat "plush" coat that's glossy & soft as silk.

G

·
0 Posts
jetta has slightly longer fur that is soft and silkey...bo's is short and course and makes me itch....i like the longer fur because I have fewer allergies to it

·
Registered
880 Posts
Puppies still have their soft puppy fur, and males tend to have fuller softer coats year round than females.  That's why they used a male Rough collie to play the part of Lassie.

G

·
0 Posts
I asked this same question a while back.  binga's fur is short and coarse and bear's fur is longer and softer.  but he IS still a puppy.  has to do with breeding i guess.  

bear is softer, but binga's is really shiney.   :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts