Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reputable breeder in the south jersey "Cherry Hill " area for a family pet this summer .I wil not be showing my boxer but would like to buy from a breeder that does. Any suggestions?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for a reputable breeder in the south jersey "Cherry Hill " area for a family pet this summer .I wil not be showing my boxer but would like to buy from a breeder that does. Any suggestions?????
We got our Boxer from Erin Boxer's which is located on Sooy Rd off of Rt 70. I personally couldn't say enough about how pleased we are with Chase (our male)!! We are actually planning on purchasing another within the next few months.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The link the last poster posted should be removed....its a puppy broker site FILLED with nothing but BYBs which we do not support here!

Sorry Im of no help...

Mylo I'm suprised you got your pup from a site like this....there are quite a few breeders around here that actually show their dogs :) We are about 45 minutes from you...its nice to see a "local" :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
BYB = back yard breeder....which means they just breed, no health testing is performed, they do not prove the parents either with working or show, ect, ect....

A reputable breeder either shows or works their dogs and also performs the health testing required ie heart scores, hip/elbows scores, thyroid ect....

Although the puppies on that site are cute, you can tell by looking at them that they arent from reputable breeders <<< that is NOT meant to step on anybodys toes! I was just stating my opinion!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You know why you're surprised? because I got him from a great breeder. Maybe some of these breeders are "BYB"s but not mine. I'm not trying to advertise and I researched my breeder for a long time before I made my final decision. My dog is in "perfect health", and is "very well bred" according to my vet.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
As far as this forum is concerned, your breeder would meet the definition of "BYB" simply by the fact that they utilize a broker to sell their puppies. To further support the categorization, they surely do not show or compete with their dogs to obtain objective evaluations of adherence to the breed standard, which is important if you want to continue to have dogs that look and act the way a Boxer should. It's also 99.99% likely that they have not tested the parents for any genetic health conditions such as hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, DM, AS, or ARVC, the last two of which can end up with the dog dropping dead at 2-3 years of age.

We all hope that your dog escapes these and the myriad other conditions that are so much more prevalent in carelessly bred Boxers, but we also hope that you will take some time to read the forums, ask questions, and learn what entails a responsible breeder and why it matters, both for you as an owner and the breed as a whole.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As far as this forum is concerned, your breeder would meet the definition of "BYB" simply by the fact that they utilize a broker to sell their puppies. To further support the categorization, they surely do not show or compete with their dogs to obtain objective evaluations of adherence to the breed standard, which is important if you want to continue to have dogs that look and act the way a Boxer should. It's also 99.99% likely that they have not tested the parents for any genetic health conditions such as hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, DM, AS, or ARVC, the last two of which can end up with the dog dropping dead at 2-3 years of age.

We all hope that your dog escapes these and the myriad other conditions that are so much more prevalent in carelessly bred Boxers, but we also hope that you will take some time to read the forums, ask questions, and learn what entails a responsible breeder and why it matters, both for you as an owner and the breed as a whole.

well said Jennifer. :]

Mylo....your pup is VERY adorable, and he looks like a very healthy pup from what I can see. If he has been evaluated by your vet for health, I have no doubt he is a healthy kid, however I highly doubt the vet is the right person to be making the determination on whether he is a "well-bred" boxer or not. The only person who would know would be the breeder IF they had in fact done the health testing Jennifer at Newcastle is referring to, on the parents and the breeders have either shown their dogs to conform to the show or working standard set forth by the committees and breeders doing this for many many years before us to keep the Boxer standard the way it is. And regardless of your pup being from a BYB or not, they all deserve loving happy homes, and I'm sure he will make you happy and love you for the rest of his life. All we are saying is that we on this forum do not condone BYB and their practices. We more than happily support the breeders of well bred boxers that maintain HEALTH among all else, as well as great temperments and standards in conformation or working. Congrats on your kiddo, he is adorable!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been reading a few threads about ow ppl think there breeders are on the up and up, b/c they have a healthy 2-3 year old dog from them. I thought the same thing. I purchased our little Cali from a reputable NJ breeder..not going to mention the name though. Cali was a healty, awesome boxer girl. At around 5 years old, she slowed down a little, but we chalked it up to her age...or so whe though. when we brought her to the vet, everything checked out fine!

She died unexpectedly 4 weeks ago from ARVC...this is a genetic desease, and i'm 100% sure the breeder knew it! It was my fault for not knowing better when i bought her to ask for all the documentation of all the tests that were done! so just b/c you have a healthy 3 year old boxer..doesnt mean they really are..... educate yourself...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts