Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Looking for a German Boxer puppy in North Carolina

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Newcastle 
#1 ·
Hello, my family and I want to get a German boxer puppy, we live in pinehurst, NC and would like to know if anyone knows a good breeder around NC. We are looking for the traditional stocky boxer with tail and ears complete, any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hello and welcome from Texas.

As for your question I obviously don't know the answer. LOL But maybe someone else might. Good luck..You can try Rescue. You might find one like you are looking for.

#4 ·
Check out Big Mac Boxers; they're not in/near N.C., but a breeder doesn't really need to be in your area or region. As I'm sure you know, you can have a pup shipped safely after carefully checking a breeder's reputation, referrals, do lots of research. But Big Mac has AWESOME German pups: stocky, great heads, naturally "obedient", protective, longevity, health-clearances, the works. They're on the web.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Not sure what that is based upon? Have you visited or had personal or direct experience with them?

Yes, they do advertise in one of the major dog trade mags, not something I would personally do - but thousands of others do as well INCLUDING Westminster show people. And pretty prolific breeders? Yes, they are. But they also do ALL the health testing (hips, cardiac, eyes) & provide documentation readily, and I've had two dogs from them -- both incredibly awesome. The pups were beautiful, well-tempered, intelligent, healthy, 100% worm/parasite free.

So although I do also "disagree" with their means of solicitation, they do produce sound & healthy & super-well tempered dogs that are awesome workers & family pets; their area of concentration -- NOT conformation.

As far as them producing a profit from breeding? No doubt they do(!) as they are prolific. However, I've heard the old song & dance for decades that decent breeders never make a profit & all the time, effort, money, is all done purely for the love of dogs. Well, the love of their breed may be a priority & may have been the motivation in their establishing their kennel, but the majority I've visited, known, met, & owned dogs from over four decades - all make a profit - certainly not initially but eventually.

And honestly? I mentioned them solely on the basis of having owned/owning two dogs from them that I couldn't have been happier with in every respect. Do you have personal experience to share of the contrary? I ask with genuine curiosity.

It's like Caeser Milan and his philosophy re: dog training: it's highly controversial - some love his methods, some detest them. But in the end? If the product is a happy, healthy, well-balanced dog that was not abused? It's a good thing in the end.

#7 ·
Big Mac Boxers

I talked to the owner by phone in Dec and she had a puppy I wanted. I thought I had purchased a puppy on the phone. I emailed and called repeatedly for 5 days about the dog. She was busy and would call back, emails saying she would call tonight, and other excuses to evade me. Finally I got her and to my surprise she said she had sold that puppy to someone else right after talking to me. In my opinion she evaded me for 5 days waiting for a $2000 check and for it to clear. When it did, she finally called. The honest thing to do was tell me right up it was sold but I would be first on the list if it did not go through. Another hurdle was that I had ask her to hold it 4 weeks because I was going on a trip and could not board a puppy that did not have all of it's shots. She said yes. Then changed her mind I guess.

#14 ·
I agree with the two posters claiming that BigMac Boxers breed way too much & it is done for profit, but as you said I did receive two awesome dogs from her as well.

However again I ask: how many breeders TRULY breed & loose money or break even? Now I realize virtually every breeder on the planet earth will have their respective hand raised, but since there is absolutely no way of ever documenting such: who really knows other than from personal claims. But, her kennels are absolutely NOT dirty by any means (personal knowlege) & the pups I received were clean, bright & healthy & free of any parasites (which many pups aren't - it's just the nature of being a pup in certain respects: dam's milk, immature immune systems, puddle encouters (that would not infect an adult healthy dog) etc.

Perhaps I did just get lucky but was sent in both cases full documentation of hip certification (in sire & dam) eyes cleared & cardiac cleared by board certified veterinary cardiologist (both sire/dam). And as far as importing from Europe? -- that's no crime last I heard; it's how ALL breeds (save the few U.S. originated breeds) got here to begin with. What she does with them is that presumably those are the dogs she uses for breeding that she states are European imports.

Perhaps they have chosen to do all the proper medical clearances & have clean kennels where the pups are bred & checked/vaccinated by her veterinarian but ALSO she's learned that this can be a money-making venture & breeds likely TOO much than most are comfortable with - although again - I know several Westminster show people who show regularly, have received tons of conformation titles on dogs & also produce several litters per year. It is done with more frequency than most people might wish to admit as the concensus is that more than two or so cannot be provided for properly. Again, it's a matter of opinion there; as a poor analogy, but one that might work just the same: is one child in a household provided for in a better manner than a household that chooses to have 7 or more? No, of course not - if that's the single criteria you base your judgement upon.

Anyway, yes, people must take the initiative to do their own investigation: ask for references, speak personally to the breeder's veterinarian, meet people & their dogs who have dogs from their breeding, visit the kennel, etc. If any of those issues then make you uncomfortable - by all means - go with someone else & begin the process all over again. It's a decade - plus committment & you need to devote a lot of effort in making the right choice that is suitable for you.

#15 ·
To the OP; You could try doing a google search and see what comes up. Once you have some breeders names then I would suggest looking into this site and seeing what the recommended questions are to ask the breeder (there should be a sticky somewhere on this site; just do a quick search :) ). You may have to go out of the area if you cannot find a reputable breeder so that is something you'll have to consider. Please only look at the reputable breeders that breed for health primarily; and make sure you are not promoting puppy mills or any back yard breeders. They cannot guarantee the health of your pup and most often than not the pup will end up having problems :(

On the other hand you can also look into rescue :) They may be able to provide you with a great dog that deserves a loving home. They are also a great source of information on the breed. Anyways, good luck and keep us posted! :D

#16 ·
However again I ask: how many breeders TRULY breed & loose money or break even? Now I realize virtually every breeder on the planet earth will have their respective hand raised, but since there is absolutely no way of ever documenting such: who really knows other than from personal claims.
I would love to break even on a litter. :)

I don't know why you say there's no way of documenting things, though. I have receipts, stud contracts, health test forms, bank statements, etc. to show how much I spend on a litter. True, there are the unquantifiables like increased electric, gas, and water bills or the breeders' time spent starting with research for stud dogs to support of every puppy for its entire life, and of course you can't know for several years about rebates the owners may earn for various accomplishments. Still, it's easy to document most litter expenses and see just how much a conscientious breeder gains or loses each time. (Most breeders don't do it, of course -- if you lost thousands of dollars every time you participated in your hobby you probably wouldn't keep close track, either! ;) )

#20 ·
The problem, again, with many "Euro" breeders (well, other than the fad breeding and outrageous pricing) is that they're breeding so-called "working" and "show" lines, yet they don't work or show their own dogs. Not only does this leave them clueless as to their dogs' true abilities in those areas, but they're also useless as mentors to their puppy buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.