Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

...looking to adopt a boxer puppy...

6K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Jenny80 
#1 ·
Hello forum! I just lost my boxer of 10 years 9 month old due to cardiomyopathy. I am thinking about getting another puppy and I'd probably better adopt...Any suggestions where can I look for him/her?

#2 ·
Sorry to hear of your loss. And while it's not that much help, if you finally lost him to cardiomyopathy at 10 years ... that is pretty good. Boxers with that affliction have been lost way, way beyond the 10 mark ... it still hurts I know but you did good. I lost my Struddell to DM ... at the age of 10 in 2013. :(

As for adopt ... see if there is a Boxer rescue near you, I doubt they have puppies ... but you never know a very young dog would be more probable.

#14 ·
Ops, I messed up here?? I "meant" way way before 10 years! Like 6 months! That happened on here a few years ago ... a new member with a new puppy. Just got here and a couple weeks later his puppy had passed???

He/she had just collapsed??? It, was genetic , he got another puppy and posted again ... it was awhile ago ( I have a long a memory, for dog stuff. :)

But I don't know if he (that member) is still here??? Just wanted to sit the record straight.

#4 ·
LOL ... your husband sounds a lot like me. I could go down the AKC list of Breeds and happily expound on why "Breed X" ... sucks. :).

Even still at my heart I'm a show me kinda guy and sure "that" guy's Breed X sucks ... but mine is pretty cool! Been there done that got the stitches with my first "Big Furry Dog, with a pointy face." AKA "Rocky" AKA my first Over Size Working line GSD.

I learned things from him, with him ... that I simply never would have learned had I remained firm in my Boxer, APBT, Band Dawg and Boxer world. Lesson one uh ...he does not appear to think that "people are the next best thing to baked bread???" And because of that part in bold ... I'm always gonna be a Boxer guy. :)

My other dogs were a joy ... Rocky was a challenge! But it worked out well in the long run and we got'er done ... he was a good dog. And he was my first "Foster Fail" I was suppose to be a foster home and pass him on ... but I kept him and the rest is history.

But back on point ... No there is no "need" to adopt?? If you want a Boxer pup, then buy a Boxer pup, that's not a crime??? Adopt,Rescue Foster or Buy a Pup. It's your call ...no harm no foul.

But if you want to give back to the Boxer World as it were you could also consider opening your home up to a Foster Boxer?? In the rescue world ... "Fosters Homes" are always needed. You could contact a "Boxer Rescue" and offer to foster a Boxer. Most likely the dog would be with you for two to six months?? You could train them and pass them on to there forever home (if you chose) and you've done your good dog in your dogs honor and then move on and buy your Boxer puppy.

Or who knows ... maybe the dog you want/need will be delivered to you and stays .. ie "Foster Fail" happens all the time. :)

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave Amy a great life and fought hard for her.

Thank you for all the information you shared in your posts about Amy's symptoms and treatments. Our oldest boys are almost 4 and have been mostly healthy so I don't have a lot to share on here, however I find the experiences of other boxer parents very helpful.

We watched a couple of local rescues on facebook for a couple of years and most of the dogs range from about 1.5 years to a senior. They do get puppies sometimes, but the list for them is generally long. You can get lucky and adopt a young boxer that is already house trained sometimes too... If you are in the SC/NC area of the US I'd recommend Carolina Boxer Rescue, Blue Ridge Boxer Rescue, or Boxer Butts and Other Mutts.
In the North West US is NW Boxer Rescue. These are the one's I'm familiar with, however if you google the internet or FB you can find others in your area.
It's amazing (to me) how many people get a boxer puppy and then when it gets a little older they realize how hyper, drooly, & gassy they are and how big they get- then they give them up- either to a shelter, a classified ad, or to a rescue.

My husband and I are also biased towards boxers. Our son got to pick his dog- as long as it was a boxer. I guess it was more like- 'you can pick from a litter of boxers'.
I'll spare the long story, but the short for us is we purchased all of our boys as puppies and helped a female rescue find a great furever home.

Whichever route you take I wish you the best of luck.

#13 ·
Mine is a rescue he was so neglected when he was found, his owners got him as a puppy and put him in a puppy kennel and dropped him off on the back of his property and left him there, when he was found he was 2 years old and only weighed 18 pounds and his spine was curve from not having room to grow, his before and after

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I don't think I could go thru right heart break again he is my second boxer, I volunteer with 3 dog rescue groups and I foster dogs as long as there at least medium sized( due to smaller ones being able to fit thru my fence) I think i'mma have to stick to being a foster mom

#19 ·
But I guess I always knew that because of his mistreatment in his early years before he was rescued that it could possibly shorten his life just refused to accept it, sorry to be so depressing I just love my puppy so much and hate the thought that our time is getting closer to the end, but he is a fighter and maybe it was just something that happened and can be controlled, he is on medicine now but only to ease the seizures in case it happens again before the vet finds out what's going on, blood work came back perfect so that's always good

#24 ·
I understand. Jax is in my lap as soon as I sit down. Our boys sleep with us, and Jax has to be next to me.
When I get home they all meet me at the door and lick and wiggle. Jax will get a toy to try to play. Now that we have our puppy, Bandit (he's about 1.5 years old now), usually Jax runs off after bringing the toy because Bandit is trying to get it.

Unless someone has food in the kitchen, Jax follows me from room to room. I'll be devastated when it's his time to go, none of them will be easy. I hope to get to hold them and that there's no pain. I love all my furkids and they will all take a piece of my heart with them. Jax and I have had a special bond since the first time I held him that's just different.

He'll be 5 in a couple of weeks, and he's had a benign tumor removed from one ear. I know there are a lot of things that can take a boxer between cancer, heart issues, etc... This site helps to remind me to be thankful for every day I get with our furbabies and to enjoy their individual quirks and habits.

I like your pictures here, don't you love it when they lay their head on your neck and cuddle? People are their favorite pillows.
I'm glad most of the tests are coming back OK. Hopefully they can find out what's causing this and are able to control it.

#25 ·
He is now no seizure meds and something for anxiety, no more seizures but now he is so tired he can't walk, I have to carry him everywhere, I hold him up to go potty and feed him by hand, I think it's too strong for him, we go back next week to do more blood work to check if his levels are right... it's so heartbreaking to watch my baby go thru this

#26 ·
Ok clearly this is not good and I am so sorry. :(

But it seems like this is not the end just yet. So he is having "mobility issues??" I got your back ... my Struddell had DM and for the last two years of her life ... she could not walk at all! Rocky my Over Size Working Line GSD was a "Wobble Dog" so it was pretty much a decade of caring for a dog with mobility issues! But "we" got it done and you can too ...you just need "tools!" :)

A mobility Harness will be helpful and will take the load of your back! See here ...

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Lifting-Aid-Mobility-Harness/dp/B008EXJIG2

I went with that one ... I had some "issues with the fitment of it" but I used it for a decade so yeah???

Here is more info on them ... https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-dog-lift-harnesses/

It sounds like your time together is not done but you might more help to give your back a break?? And unlike me ... you don't have to struggle alone with this ... we got your back ...hmm no pun intended. :)

#29 ·
They are whining him off the seizure meds the vet doesn't think it's actual seizures but seizureish, she wants to check his hips for dysplasia or spinal problems due to his previous owners locking him in a puppy kennel and not allowing him out ever, he was in there from a pup until he was rescued at 2 yrs old it caused his spine to grow curved up from where he was hunched in the kennel this is his before and after, the first pic is within 2 days of having him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.