Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a six month old boxer "LOOMIS" who is wonderful.  My dream is to have him be my running partner on trail runs and be great in obedience.  I am committed to being a great owner, but I'll need lots of advice and help!  

So far Loomis can:
  • shake
    sit
    lay down
    high five
    crawl
He waits for his food until I tell him it's "ok", and is super fun to play with

He will "come" but only when he wants...so I need to do a lot better!

I'm just now getting him to walk without pulling - but that is a HUGE work in progress!

So, hopefully I can get some tips from everyone here!  He's my first big dog!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome from NC!  Loomis is adorable.  Love those sad eyes.  I have been clicker training my 2 pups with great results.  I'll never train another dog any other way.  It's really amazing, IMO you should check it out.  Recall is VERY important.  Look under training, I think we have a sticky devoted to recall.  Good look!  BTW we LOVE pics on here.  :lol:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to you both :D Love the name Loomis. Sounds like he's doing great for 6 months and you'll find lots of good advice around here with any training tips. Had to LOL at his recall only working when HE wants to, temporary hearing loss is pretty common at our house too :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Loomis is so cute.  If you plan to have him as a running pal remember to wait until he is at least 18 months, there is a post about running with your boxer.  Lots of other great information on this forum.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Loomis is a handsome guy..Check out the training section for some great info on teaching recall, which is an ongoing project, but well worth it.... :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome aboard! This a great place to learn everything & anything there is to know about the Boxer breed! He's so handsome, by the way... how did you decide on the name, Loomis?! Rather unique! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, thanks for all the replies.

So...about the name Loomis!

When my wife and I decided to get a Boxer, we thought through a bunch of names, but all were pretty common - and we were determined to pick a name that no one else had!  So we thought and thought, and tried to think of a name that would remind us of something that brought good thoughts/memories...and that's when it clicked - every summer we vacation at this little tiny lake in Northern Washington - it's our favorite week of the year - and the closest town to the lake is the town of LOOMIS!  So there you have it - our boxer's name is LOOMIS!  The funny thing is that the name fits him!  He's a clown, and pretty loopy - so Loomis is a great name!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Awww.... very cool! I like it. It's nice to hear a less common name every now & then... especially when the name has such a great meaning behind it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree Loomis is a great name!  And as Barb already said make sure you wait till your pup is 18months old before he starts running so that his growth plates have a chance to close!

I'm a runner as well, Oscar is only five months so he doesn't run yet but my five year old female loves runs!  And as long as the weather isn't too warm and I pack water for her she can pull off a 16miler!  Of course I give her glucosamine every day for her joints.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

For the recall, we use a fave treat.  In our case, Zukes peanutbutter flavored.  Every time you say "Loomis come" and he comes, give a treat and lots of praise.  "Good come Loomis, good boy!"  For a while, when Henry was younger and we were still learning, he did the selective come thing.  So if we said Henry come and he even looked in our direction, we would give a treat.  Even if he just takes one step toward you, treat.  But you gotta hurry and treat before he turns away, otherwise he thinks you're rewarding the going away instead of the coming! :lol:   Now at 18 months, Henry comes almost every time, even if he's chasing birds!  (big deal here :lol: )  And if he acts a little hesitant, we say "you want treats?" and he will come running. :D

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Loomis is a handsome boy and a great story behind his name!
Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about him!

·
Registered
977 Posts
He's a really cute little guy - the name is great - i can't wait to tell my brother. He worked under a professor Richard Loomis at Washington University in Saint Louis for a year :lol:  Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone!  LOOMIS loses his manhood on Thursday - HIS SIX MONTH BIRTHDAY!  Not a very good present!  Any tips on what to do the day and days following the operation?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Welcome. Try to keep him calm & quite :roll:  Yeah I know good luck with that. My boys got fixed and Friday & Saturday were playing like nothing had happened

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
welcome to the forum...i grew up on osterville...
Lomis is a great name !! love the reasoning behind it !!!!

more pics? :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts