Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My boxer turns 6 months on Thursday - and he does not like going outside the house for a walk...once he's outside for 30 seconds or so he is fine, but getting him to go from inside the front door to the outside is tough - even when coaxing with treats!

Also, to get him inside my Jeep is a pain too!  Once we get him outside I'll open up the back of the Jeep and he won't jump in - nor will he even put his paws up - he simply puts on the breaks!  I've offered snacks and tried a variety of tones (excited, nonchalant, stern, etc.)

Any thoughts or help would be great!

G

·
0 Posts
Bruce wouldn't would only walk on grass, would cry in the car, wouldn't go near the dumpsters, etc,.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think alot of that just takes some time and understanding.....he is still young!  On the jumping in the car....Fiona is over a year and sometimes she will jump in and sometimes she wants to be picked up....IMO that is part of the stubborn streak :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
My Henry will be six monts tommorow and he can't wait to get in our Jeep Liberty.He wants to jump in by himself and some times he makes it and some times he just crashes.Boxers that age can sudenly develop fear of somethings,it will go away.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Use a leash, gather up some favorite toys and some yummy treats...Coax him out on lead, keep talking to him as you walk to your Jeep. If you have to lift him in, fine..Sit in there with him, play with toys etc..Let him get comfy...Then back down the driveway, come back and get out and then do it all over again..Is it possible that something may have spooked him to cause this sudden reluctence to get in? I know some one that had something like happen with her Boxer and she just had to work with her to over come it...Hope this is some help

·
Registered
913 Posts
Has Loomis taken a "tumble" in the jeep?? You know..something like you put on the brakes a bit suddenly..and he went head over heels to the floor..or worse struck something?
I know when Ashley feels secure..as when she rides in my lower car..and I harness her, she is a happy camper, and lays down and goes to sleep. But we have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, than DH insists that she is happier with the seats down so she can move about ( I disagree..I think it provides too much room, and she feels all tippy in there. She also whines and crys in his jeep, but never does in my car.
Willow has a great thought processes of trying the play, treats, just back down the drive, and back up...and let Loomis out..he may come to realize this is not all that bad.
I wonder ..do you crate/harness him..or let him move about? Just wondering if he feels disorented if he's free to move about.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When mine hears the car keys he runs to the door and starts jumping up and down. If you have the car door open he will run to it and sit in the seat. But I also take him to the park @ 3 time a week.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We had luck just leaving both doors to the van open without starting the car.  We threw in a cookie, it was a hesitant entrance, and then the escape was ready access out the other door.  Lots of praise while briefly in the car.  After this routine over 10 minutes for a couple days he just took the comfy spot on the back bench seat.  I don't know the psychology, but he learned to love the car.  There were further problems if cookies were not provided, but I usually hid one in the seat.  He was a real con artist.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great advice everyone!

The seats are down in my Jeep, with a blanket layed out and one or two of his toys...He has never tumbled too bad that I know of - he's fine in the Jeep - it's just getting him INSIDE it that takes some effort!  Even today when I was walking him, we walked right beside a truck parked on the street - and he put on the brakes!  HA!  I sure don't get it!  I'll keep trying, but hopefully he just grows out of it!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Keep at it, it may take some time..I would try putting the seats back up tho and try it that way and see if it helps....I have never had that problem with any of mine, heck Samson will jump into a total stranger's car if the door is left open :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We ran into another problem when our Boxer was confused about the "stay" command.  I'd been using it at the back door, and when we first got outside, so he didn't pull if a dog was walking across the street.  He generalized the command and wouldn't go out the door, much less come to the car.

I called an animal behaviorist we'd seen and they said to say "Okay" in a loud, cheerful tone and throw a bunch of treats on the floor.  Then I used the "Okay" command as we left the house.  Out he went with no resistance.  Something had clicked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts