Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the switch to Merrick two weeks ago and harley loves it and has been doing fine until about 5 days ago. Since then she has had really loose stool once a day. She goes about 4 times a day and usually her last one of the night is loose but the others are fine. I feed her 3 times  day and give her about half a tablespoon of pumpkin and yogurt at breakfast and lunch. is this something I should be concerned about? Any sugestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Did she eat anything out of the ordinary?  Any greasy foods other than kibble etc?

Did you do a gradual switch or cold turkey?  If cold turkey it could be her tummy is adjusting to having the new food and took some time to get off the old food.   If grad. and nothing out of the ordinary it really could be just the food.

Just because its a top grade food does not always mean its going to be ok for their bellies.  Some ingredients are too rich.  My Hanna did horrible on Cali Natural.   So we had to switch.   Hence one of the reasons I highly recommend switching kibble flavors and brands every 6 months of so, not only are you rotating the nutrition but also finding out what your dog likes.  By switcihng IMO you build their immune system to a variety of different things and hopefully limiting things like the runs etc.

Also you dont want to have to band-aid with yogurt and pumpkin all the time either.    See how it goes, Id give it maybe one more week, but just use the pumpkin.   Maybe the dairy of the yogurt is making it too rich, or maybe its the kibble.   Play with it see what it is, and then maybe you'll have to make a kibble switch.

Good Luck - we've all been there!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd go back to just feeding the food first and see how she does, no extras. A lot of times it's a process of elimination to figure out what is upsetting them...Also, Like Hanna said, Merrick is an awesome food, but what works for one doesn't always work for another..I've gone thru a few foods trying to find something that first off I could get locally and something that agreed with both of mine...Blue Buffalo gave both of mine terrible runs, Nutro they did great on, but I didn't like it, so we finally found Chicken Soup..The pumpkin and yogurt really don't need to be given every day anyways, unless you have an issue and it's possible those in combination with the the Merrick may be too much...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts