Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Logan and I have not been on in quite some time, needless to say things have been great and my husband and I have been very busy with our growing loving puppy. Logan is now 8mos and 68lbs and growing! He has been a joy in our lives to say the least. About two months ago however he started scratching his ears A LOT, and this caused his ears to inflammed and cuts from nails appeared. We brought him to the vet and he received a steriod shot and was put on anitbiotics for a week. This cured the problem, the vet said it seemed to be an allergic reaction and he said we will treat it as this but we couldn't think of anything new at all. We watched closely still nothing we could think of was new, called the vet to follow up and his thoughts are something that has to be touching the ear since it only in one area. A week off the antibiotics and the scratching and inflammation began, on the tips of the outside of ear he now lost hair. We went back to the vet and his perscribed a low dose steriod/antibiotic dermotologic drops. Needless to say we are two months out went to our third visit to the vet over the weekend and he did a skin graph and nothing is wrong at all! He said to continue using the drops periodically and that it is not food related or anything else or we would be seeing a larget affected area.

This doesn't make sense to us and I feel like my puppy is uncomfortable and I want to help.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Food Alergy to me esp if Mites and Mange were ruled out.

Have you switched his food?   if so it may be best to rotate out the protein and switch to a kibble that is not what he is eating now.  I battle food alergies every day!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is on Canidae now and I switched to that back in October, that was my first thought too. I only feed kibble not wet food my next choice was going to be Innova. I think I may go to the pet store today and see my options. Thank you and by the way your babies are some of our favorites on here, they look just perfect!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would IMO go with a kibble that has no chicken in it.  Try that, use beef, turkey, lamb, vension or a fish based kibble.   Try that for about 3 months.  If no change then get rid of the grains, and go grainless with something like Taste of the Wild Salmon, or Timberwolf Ocean Blue - these are grainless kibbles with a low protein content which is ok for puppies.

Aslo supplement the kibble with a couple of squirts of salmon oil or add in sardines to it.   The Omega fish oils will help build up the immune system and maybe help kick the itchies too.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah had hair loss on Canidae at about the same age as Logan.  For us the fish based foods worked better than any of the meat or foul based foods.  Hope the new food works out for him.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I'm feeling better already, if this is a food allergy although I'm not happy it is correctable. You know he hasn't been real interested in it lately anyways.

G

·
0 Posts
I noticed the same thing with Bruce.  He had very thin hair behind his ears on Canidae (along with eye boogers and 6-7 poops a day).  Changed it over to Solid Gold and he's been doing great!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I just went my favorite pet store up the street, he suggested Orijen or Timberwolf Organics Blue.

Hannah I got a 16lb bag of the Timberwolf he said this is normally about $60.00, is that what you pay?

Anyone else ever heard of Orijen? I have the label here and it contain 6 fresh fish formula's sound great, I tried grading it on based on the sticky and it's too confusing to me.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Orijen is a good food.  I used to use Timberwolf but they icreased their prices by 14% and even though Hanna is on their website, I switched to Taste of thhe Wild.  A 36lb of TOTW is $44.00   - Much more economical IMO.

Try the timberwolf and if it goes well then you can always switch cold turkey to the TOTW salmon because the ingredients are pretty much the same.  Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts