Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue is losing chunks of hair on his side and legs....  It doesn't look like he has mange, and nothing in his routine has changed so I don't think it could be from stress.  Is it normal for boxers to lose chunks of hair??

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
No definitely not normal. I would take him in for a skin scrape to figure out what is going on. Let us know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definitely go to vet & get a scrape.
When Bellas demodex returned, It was just a small patch of hairloss, no other skin conditions.  Vet was surprised I even noticed.  If I'm not mistaken, demodetic mange usually begins of facial area & feet first.

How big are the chunks of missing hair?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They aren't very big, someone who isn't around Blue everyday wouldn't notice them!  I noticed them about a week ago and have kept and eye on them.  The patches that were there haven't grown in size, but he is getting new patches.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That does sound like demodex. I would definitely go to the vet and get a scrape done before it gets any worse.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do they get demodex?  What would cause him to get it?  I feel like Blue has been to the vet more than any other dog.  He's in about once a month, I feel so bad for him!  He doesn't act like anything is bothering him, he never scratches the spots.  It's just strange, I would think if he had bugs on him, it would itch!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, we will be getting him to the doctor on Wednesday!  Unfortunately I have Open house at school the next two nights so I can't take him right away!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad he's going to the vet.  The quicker you notice & treat demodex the better.  You may also want to google, red mange & puppyhood mange, both are other common names.
If it is demodex, the mitiban dips suck!!! I'll never go thru that again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts