Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this site; we have a 3 year old girl named Mocha. Over the last week and a half we've noticed that the fur on both of her sides and now starting on the top of her back is thinning and the skin underneath has darkened. She's not itching at all, seems to have no pain at all and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of illness otherwise. She's eating and playing normally. I've looked online and seen several different sites that talk about seasonal alpoecia. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I don't think it's mange. We have her yearly check-up scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Should we try to get her in to see the vet sooner? Any input, suggestions, advice, etc. would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'm just bumping this hoping Mel will see it. If I remember right it's Zulu that has seasonal alopecia.

Welcome from Oklahoma!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Yep. . .Zu is suffering with it again this year, its the second yr in a row now. :whistle:

Unfortunaltly for me living in Uk there is nothing i can give him as it is not deemed a medical issue, only a cosmetic issue. It doesnt affect them or their healthy in anyway at all. :|
But in USA you can give them Melatonin, one of the others should be able to advise you on dosage, that will stop the hairloss in its tracks.
But i would advise seeing a vet, just incase it isnt SFA, we went through blood tests and a biopsy first to rule out any nasties, Boxers skins are extremly sensitive and skin conditions often spiral out of control if not correctly treated, luckily if it is SFA, it will onky be a hairloss issue. :)

I have learnt to be able to see where Zu is going to lose hair as the roots of his hairs have little black bits on, and i think this is where the folicals die off and it turns them black, all i did is brush him with a flea comb and took all the black bits off. ~X(

But funnily enough this year as it started i brushed him and got all the black bits off, bathed him in Hibiscrub and his hair loss was a lot less, but i think they say that the first bout is the worst and each year afterwards is less. . . Zulu didnt lose a lot at all this year, just in patches and for a while it looked like a line down his back with lines branching off, but those have disappeard so it def growing back quicker too. :D

The first yr took 7 month for the hair to grow back fully. 8O

The best advise i got was from Bulldog sites, they seem to be the most prone babies to this SFA. :yes:

Good luck with your baby, if you have any other q's or things you need to know about SFA, just let me know :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've also know of people that have given canned pumpkin or kelp for alopecia; it could just be that the condition would have cleared up on its own in that timeframe anyway, but they seem to feel that the additions helped.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
SuzyQ has this condition also. The first year she had stripes going down her sides from the nape of her neck about halfway down her back. They looked like Zebra stripes. It usually starts in Dec/Jan and her fur usually will be back by July. This year she only has a couple of polka dots where the skin is dark. Some years she didn't have any spots at all. We did have her tested the frist year for mange, and that was negative. Our vet didn't recommend anything as it didn't itch or seem to bother her in any way. I don't pay any attention to it anymore, other than to make sure it's not bothering her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your replies! We have a vet appointment in a couple of weeks anyway, so I'll just bring up the issue at that time, unless it seems to be bothering her in the mean time. I might try the canned pumpkin and/or the melatonin over the next couple of weeks until we get it checked out.

I was worried because I wasn't sure what was going on with her, but you've all eased my fears :)

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
LOL. .. dont worry, when Zulu first got it i completely freaked, thinking mange and all sorts, was so relived when all came back negative and was told it was SFA :up: :up:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hair loss

My dogs looked as if they had been in the mud... Looks like an outline of black. We gave both puppies a bath and scrubbed. That's when we realized that it seemed more like missing fur. Duke appears to be better but Bella doesn't. Going to make an appointment to check it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nico turned 3 in May and in Feb he started losing his hair. I also read online that it was seasonal alopecia so started the melatonin. We bought a store brand and was giving it twice a day so 6mg.. And nothing was working. I asked the vet and she said to try Natures Bounty brand as most brands weren't all melatonin and this one was. We switched brands and within a week his hair was growing back. We still give him 1 a day just to stay on top of it so it doesn't happen again next winter..

Julia
Nico 3yrd
Star 10 months

·
Registered
51 Posts
My boxer has seasonal alopecia for many years now. I know many give melatonin and it works. Tried it many times does not work on my dog.
This is due to not enough sunlight during the winter. We have lived for two years in a house with a lot of Windows and skylights and he had no hair loss at all.
There is a lamp you can buy for winter to provide sunlight for your dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts