Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been transitioning Hoosier out of his crate this weekend. He's just getting to big for the one we have (36" tall) and we don't have room in our apartment for the mega-crate that he'd need. So we are transitioning him to a small room that will be gated off. Its not a huge space, bigger than his shrinking crate and enough room to play with a toy and look out of a window. Plenty of sun comes in too. So far so good with his cove; we left for a few hours a couple times this weekend and so far he hasn't tried to jump the gate or no pee/poop accidents. We put a couple of his pillows in there and his favorite toys (the LOADED kong helps too) and he was fine. No crying or trying to get out (there were times where I would hear him bang his crate door before I made it out of my front door on the way to work!). I also spent some time in there with him giving some tasty treats. He even took a nap in there while we were home! A good sign to say the least.

He used to sleep in the crate at night and the crate's in our bedroom. We just got him a huge comfy mat and his favorite blanky and put it where the crate was. He slept through the night! When we would leave the crate door open he would wander in and out all night. Surprisingly, the little guy stayed put most of the night and only changed position a few times. We kept our bedroom door closed to create sort of a den for all three of us. I got greeted with a wet nose this morning when it used to be a whine to go potty (every morning around 6 am), but I could get used to that!

Wish me luck as I hope that this pattern continues. This may also be the "final exam" for potty training!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sounds like you have a winner plan there.  Hope all continues on schedule and that he enjoys his new room!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
WTG Hoosier!!!  I'm so happy for you all....Keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now that is great news!!! Woo Hoo, way to go Hoosier..... :clap: That is a big improvement, and it sounds like Hoosier is showing that he is worthy of your trust......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts