Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went home to play with Fredo at lunch I found a lost dog in front of my house. He was very nervous but finally came over to me..when I went to get treats in the house and came back out he was gone. I'm going to try and find him again when I go home..my question is ...how do I apporach him without putting myself in danger. He did come over finally and was going to sniff my hand but then jerked back..before he came over he was kind of making a nervous growl which stoped when he got closer to me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I probably should have done that.  I have a bad habbit of approaching strange animals..haha

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
he most likely jerked back because he smelled your dog on you. I would call animal control, even though you dont have him-they could most likely be on the look out for the dog.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you have any doubt about your safety around the dog call animal control.  

We have rescued a few dogs and have had to wait some of them out for several days.  You can usually get a sense of how they are by how you feel around them.  Most of them are just scared from being dumped or lost.  If you feel like they are a danger then they probably are you can usually get a feel for the dog, if you are just scared because you don't know the dog that is a little different.

I have waited in the cold rain for a stray that was dumped in a field to trust me.  Hours later, treats and food the dog finally would come up to me and let me pet it.  It ran away from me several times and would growl a little run away then come back.  If it had been showing teeth crouching, fur up, etc. I wouldn't have been messing with it.  We did call animal control the morning we found the dog in the field and they spent a total of 5 minutes trying to get the dog.  Left some food and went away.  We were worried coyotes would get it if we left it there longer so that was why I spent so much time trying to get the dog.  She was an amazing dog and ended up going through Aussie rescue to a wonderful home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts