Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep I have heard of that ... that would not work for me.
Had I described what I was looking for in a pup. I would have never gotten Struddell. I wanted a boy and in particular the boy standing on top of the pile of puppies barking his head off! But all the boys were chose only girls were left. Well that sucked ...

But then there was one ... he not stand on ... to become my Struddell! And she picked me! When I came in she came out of the pen crawled into my lap and promptly fell asleep??? I was there for 45 minuets and she never moved. Well this is certainly a ball of dynamite ...not! But screw I wanted a white Boxer and I "needed" one now.

I picked her up a bit later and it turned out ... she was not really boring at all! For all I know she had spent the whole day being an PIA and was just tried when I got there!

So I prefer to pick my own but yes quality breeders can do a pretty good job of matching pups with buyers.
This is why I think its important that a breeder talks with a potential buyer. Sure you can put a list of things you want and most likely you wont get them all. Health and disposition, drive, etc. I think are far more important. A good breeder will be looking to put their pups in a home thats a good match. Money is always 2nd.

If its a good breeder they will know their pups way more than a potential buyer who stops by for a short amount of time.

Personally I love brindle, but my next pup(if a boxer) will have to have very high drive. If brindle isn't in the cards so be it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Those are valid points. I'm not so much thinking I'm trying to replace Frey. I just don't want to be reminded of Frey when I look at another dog (most fawn boxers look very similar) and or possibly have some dislike of a new dog because they aren't Frey or in the back of my mind wish the new dog was Frey. Maybe after some time has passed it won't be an issue because you're just ready for another dog again.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Those are valid points. I'm not so much thinking I'm trying to replace Frey. I just don't want to be reminded of Frey when I look at another dog (most fawn boxers look very similar) and or possibly have some dislike of a new dog because they aren't Frey or in the back of my mind wish the new dog was Frey. Maybe after some time has passed it won't be an issue because you're just ready for another dog again.
Yeah, I'm not saying you can't have a color in mind, but for me it would be near the end of things I want. I could be wrong, but I think if you got a pup, whenever you decided the time was right for you, you would be so busy with that new bundle of crazy you wouldn't have time to compare. lol. Not that you would forget about Frey but you kind of deal with what you have in front you and fall in love with that pup and the quirks that he/she has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fair enough. We will just have to see how things go. I'm not sure how long we'll end up needing. Frey was such a big part of our lives. I'm sure Tyr will be happy to have someone to play with again when the time comes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well Herby, it sounds like we have several things in common and my heart goes out to you on the loss of your Frey Frey. I had a Boxer and a Belgian Malinois. My Boxer (Madison) had to be put down due to liver cancer when she was 7 years old. That was a sad day in my life. My Mal bit another dog while she was chasing her ball (after the breeder told me she did well with other dogs and kids, which is not the case with all Mals). I decided it would be best for me to get rid of her while she was just 5 months old since I didn't feel I could trust her overly aggressive nature. To make a long story short, I went 3 years without a dog and then finally decided to get another Boxer puppy even though in my heart I wanted another Belgian Mailnois. My Boxer puppy is now almost 3 years old and she reminds me so much of my first Boxer. It's impossible to wake up in a bad mood when she is there to greet me with that "whole body wag" every morning. She is a big chicken when it comes to protection (miss the Mal for that) but she is a great dog and I never have to worry about her being aggressive or biting. She might lick someone to death though, lol. So you'll know when it's time to get another dog. If I were you I would get one while your Mal is still in its' youth stage. And don't worry about another Boxer - you'll know what to do! God bless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We don't want our Mal getting too comfortable being the only dog in the house so we have been having other dogs over as much as we can. He is very good with small dogs and puppies and will lay down on his side to play with them. It is work to keep in played out however. We will try to take our time while considering what our remaining dog may need

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I felt like I was starting to be okay again and maybe I am. Freys ashes and memorial paw print were finished today. It was all I could do to get inside my home before crying. This may be the hardest thing Ive gone through which seems weird to say. And Ive certainly had my share of tragedies and trials in my life. I really appreciate the people on this forum listening to me blather away. I don't think I really have anyone to vent to here. Not the same way I can here anyways. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Sorry your still feeling down but we here do understand. Most of us have been in your shoes at some point in our life. Its hard to be able to talk and vent and just cry one on one. Non dog people don't understand and somehow on a internet forum where we are more or less anonymous you feel freer to express your feelings. It does get better with time and when a new one does come along they take up so so much of your time and energy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I felt like I was starting to be okay again and maybe I am. Freys ashes and memorial paw print were finished today. It was all I could do to get inside my home before crying. This may be the hardest thing Ive gone through which seems weird to say. And Ive certainly had my share of tragedies and trials in my life. I really appreciate the people on this forum listening to me blather away. I don't think I really have anyone to vent to here. Not the same way I can here anyways. Thank you.
I imagine it will be a roller coaster for a while. It's hard sometimes to allow yourself the right to feel what you need to feel when we've been taught to be strong all the time, but it is OK to feel what you feel. It's not fair that you lost your baby so young and unexpectedly. I expect that makes it harder too...
I think Boxers are a rare breed with how deeply they can connect with you. Frey Frey will always be a part of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you guys. It is probably true that the forum allows for a freeer expresion of self. Ive been trying not to bottle things up. Just finding myself still expecting him. Like I almost forget hes gone sometimes. I swear Tyr does things that Frey used to only do now. But reality is he probly always did them just a lot less than Frey and now I'm noticing because Freys gone. I was prepared for him to pass. But I figured he would at least be 8+ years old. Never thought itd be like this. I did so much research after we got him (as I wasn't planning on 2 dogs) and tried everything I could do to prevent cancer etc. Natural stuff even raw fed. I guess some things can't be stopped regardless of what you do.

You may be right about the boxer thing. And maybe it's because boxers mature slower than many breeds but I always thought of Tyr as my buddy or friend as he got older but Frey I don't think I ever stopped thinking about him as a puppy. My baby. When he made social fopas or misbehaved a bit I used to always say it's not his fault he's big now but he's still got puppy brain. Though he was pretty well behaved. He really was a character.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yeah it's kinda tough when they come home for the last time. t's great that they are finally home ... but the pain of loss comes rushing back. :(

Frey Frey, lot's of us recognize his "behavior." He sounds like what we Luv about our Boxer's. And sigh side note here ... but Boxer's such as he did ... not exist until after WWII. When they did whatever with to be "safe" for American Boxer owners. And in doing so they created "our" Boxer's. And they became know "also" as the "Clown Princess of the Dog World!" And with that ... it was job done and the rest is well ... history as it were.

Take Care and it will get better with time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah it's good he's home. Feels weird. I've never really been religious but I find myself hoping we'll meet again someday. I hope the guilt fades. That's the worst part. All the ifs.

Thanks for the history. Maybe I shall look into that.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yeah it's good he's home. Feels weird. I've never really been religious but I find myself hoping we'll meet again someday. I hope the guilt fades. That's the worst part. All the ifs.

Thanks for the history. Maybe I shall look into that.
Guilty??? Oh the "I did not really want him bit." It's easy to say but you got to "let that go!" It can eat you up big time! PTSD, been there done that with my second puppy and first ... "I did not want dog!" My first Boxer/APBT, Stewie ... he was "suppose to be a Foster" But he won me over! First by staying calm cool and collected as a 16 week old on a walk and on leash, when "we" got charged by a "Massive Freaking APBT" that burst thru a screen door to get him!!! Not on my freaking watch! I swung "Steiwe" behind me on leash and with a foot scoop and I stood that monster down!!!

The dog was not expecting me ... and he paused long enough fro the owner to scoop him back up! And after that ... "Stewie" proved to be ... "freaking" Brilliant!!! There was no training per say, I'd think it and he would do it!!

Oh yeah and he leash and collars ... was a joke, he wore his collar and used the leash to "humor me??" If something came up ..he do a shoulder shrug and slip his collar and then uh ... stand right beside me ... where he was, he kinda did not want that crap on his neck?? He a great "puppy!" :)

But I made a mistake that would cost him his life at only a year old. He was to smart and I thought he "understood" more than he did ... now that was guilt! Because it was my fault, another story ....

And then I have Dog number two, that was "suppose to a foster," (number five chronologically.)

My "infamous" Rocky my first Working Line Over Size GSD with wobblers! The only dog to ever send me to the ER for stitches ... breaking up "Pack Fights" between him and my American Band Dawg!!

First of many lessons to be learned ... two dogs are a pair, three dogs are a pack?? And if dog number three ... happens to be a high, "Rank Drive Dog??"
IE and that dog would be spelled "Working Line German Shepard Dog!" One had best have there "Crap Together!"

I thought I did ... but apparently not?? My ten years or so experience with Band Dawgs, Boxer/Apbt, and finally Boxers ... did not mean crap ie Molosser's all ... did not mean crap to him!! Turns out as I learned after the fact ... those are all "low rank drive breeds." There position in the "pack" is fine with them. I set the order ... they followed. But "Rocky" ... not so much???

A true "hell on earth" was to follow! And,as stated, he was my second dog I did not want! It's a long story but "we" got over it. And we formed a "Bond" that was forged thru hell and back!!

Aww well ... that is another story, suffice to say ... that although I had no real interest in the bred (and did not want him and actually resented what he kept doing to Gunther!!) I had to "let it go," if he was to stay, after Gunther passed due to unrelated issues. And now he had a bite record (granted it was me and not intentional but a bite on a human nonetheless, so I could not in good conscious, give him back. ) I never got the chance to "fix it," the pack fights. And now "Rocky" was by default "Top Dog" and I ... was pissed!!

LOL, so when he now turned his attention ie aggression towards uh ... "Everyone," save for me my wife and Struddell??" That was great news for me!! Cuz this crap shall not stand! It was time for "Pay Back!" :)

And "I" got it right!! And he showed his "appreciation" after a lot of work, on forming a "Bond of Trust"between us, as it were. Wnen day when, we came under attack by two charging dogs and "daddy went down" on the ice while defending him!!

And he was freaking awesome and I was stunned!! As he came from (Rocky) out of nowhere. But ... that is another story and this thread is suppose to be for condolences ... so my bad.

But my point was ... some dogs "you don't really want" can indeed "win you over!" And in the long run ... that is what really matters ... how you get there .. is not really important!

That's what I was trying to say. In a rather long winded, wordy fashion .. but that is kinda my thing, my bad?? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I get what you're saying. And I don't know as that I feel guilty about not wanting him at first. Not anymore anyways. Though maybe I do and don't realise it. It was me who got him from a backyard breeder and didnt really understand that. If I hadn't I suppose he jist would have been someone elses heart break. But I would do it again if given the chance. I just think a lot about the day he passed and if I could have done something differently. It was my choice to take him out to play when maybe we should have just stayed home. Thats what I'm feeling guilty about I guess.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
We understand what your saying/feeling. And there is always the "what if??" It's genetics, "issues" are just built into the DNA and at some point in time?? The clock clicks and the "count down" starts ...earlier than it should??

"Crap happens" and yes if it was not your heart that was broken ... then it would have been someone else. It could/would have happened anywhere at anytime?? Some owners have been playing with there dogs at home in there yard and there dog just drops over on the spot! That has happened and usually in the 6 month to 3 year range ... it seems.

I often say a lot of Boxer owners find there way to this board ... thru a trail of tears. Cardo issues is the most sudden unexpected loss ... usually un-diagnosed. Then there is also Cancer, in the Medical Community Boxers are know as "Cancer in a Box!"

My vet said that to me at a "Struddell" check up ... then turned pale and said "Sorry!" I told him "No problem I already know." The top two ... did not take her out (Cardio or Cancer.) It was number three on the list that ultimately took her down, Degenerative myelopathy ???

I had done better with PB Boxer (BYB) number two. Hedi my first PB Boxer was a Brindle and she had "Parvo!" When we got her ... we took her to the vet the next morning after we got her and found out.And yeah we could have returned her ... but you know 24 hours and she was already our dog. So we chose to fight and we lost ... at the vet during the day and home administered IV's after work. She was a game little trooper but just to small and to weak ... she died on a Thursday night in my arms. We got her Saturday back to the Vet on Sunday an she was gone by Thursday. :(

And that was after my traumatic loss of my first Boxerish, experience. With my Boxer/APBT Stewie! So the Boxer thing ... was not working out to well for us and now we had to wait a year before trying again because we "thought" our yard was contained with the virus?? But in retro spec .. it turned out it was not ... as Hedi always (week as she was) would go to the same spot to potty and indoors when she had to barf it was always on newspaper.

She would have been a great dog but it was not to be. We did better with Struddell and at age 7 ... I thought we were clear of issues?? And then one day on a walk on a hard surface ... I heard a clicking sound when she walked??? Right rear foot ... and nails dragging ... the first sign of DM! About 6 months later, my High Desert Bunny Chasing Boxer, could no longer walk! We cared for her 24/7 for two years and then finally in Nov of 2013 it was game over .... But at least we had 7 years of good memories to fall back on this time. She was a great dog.... She just barely managed to make it to the 10 year mark ... but she did ... so there is that.

On the other hand there are well were, at this point in time a few BYB Boxers that were in the 12 to 14 year range!

On the other hand "right now" we have an owner who did do everything right! She did get a quality pup from a good breeder and her dogs heart is failing. :(

Sometimes you can do everything right and it still goes wrong?? Boxers can be a hard breed to fall in love with. But the joy they bring when they are with you. I feel is worth the "heartbreak" they leave behind when they fall by the wayside, on our journey through life... It just seems to the way it is with this Breed. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you for sharing all that. Makes me feel better some how. I'm really sorry about your pups. They can be a difficult breed to love. Seems like a paradox that such a fun and playful breed can be so full of health problems. I'm glad I had Frey. I loved him a lot and was loved by him I'm sure. I really hope the feeling passes. Like I tried so hard to save him and yet I still feel guilty. But I guess you are right bad things can happen no matter what. Always ready to out live them just never figure it'll be so soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey all, Just wanted to give an update of sorts. Things did get easier with time. We made and were given a few mementos of Frey, pictures, a blanket in his memory. I still haven't bought an urn for Frey's ashes. I just want to get the perfect one for him. And it's a bit painful to shop for so I keep putting it off.

I still think about Frey every day, I feel less guilty as the days go by.

We knew we wanted another boxer in due time and so I began doing research on reputable breeders in Canada and my Province of Alberta. I must've applied at a dozen places. But I had my particulars and so it was quite the search.

Tyr, our mal got depressed and it got to the point where he would refuse to play, and would eat maybe 1 of every 4 meals, we were reduced to force feeding him with a spoon. He started getting massive separation anxiety. The only thing that seemed to bring him any joy was a car ride with the window down.

We were eventually contacted by a reputable breeder in Alberta who had puppies available from a co-breed with another reputable breeder in Alberta. We were concerned it may be too soon for us, but after talking we agreed to take the plunge somewhat for Tyr's sake. We knew we wanted another boxer so it wasn't just getting a new dog for our other dog. Just maybe sooner than we wanted.

We named him Loki, and he has been a handful, Tyr made an almost instant turnaround and is for the most part back to his old self. The Separation anxiety still persists however.

It was a little weird having Loki at first. He lacked a personality i guess. That Freyness that Frey had wasn't there. It's been a couple months and now Loki has his Lokiness. Sounds weird but Loki just seemed like this blank slate to me.

He does a lot of things that remind me of Frey but he is also his own dog. And when I'm feeling down about Frey, Loki seems to know and comes for a cuddle. But I digress I'll write up about Loki in another thread one of these days.

It was a hard time for us and some days are harder than others. But again I guess it gets easier with time. I miss him every day. But we are doing okay now. Things feel kind of normal again. just wanted to let you guys know as this forum was a big part of my healing process and I appreciate you all.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am so sorry you lost you Frey that was pretty terrible and made worse by the fact you didn't know he was sick. I had a similar thing happen I lost my 7 year old female to DCM she started fainting and the Vet thought it might be epilepsy but it wasn't I wasn't sure what was wrong with her till an echocardiogram showed she had DCM I lost her about 4 months later. I had a male that was only 2 at the same time I kept telling myself at least I had him when I lost my girl but a month after I lost her he started doing the same thing fainting and coughing went right to get an echo and he had DCM as well I lost him about 3 months later. I have never been so devastated. I have had 2 other boxers previous to these ones and there was no heart issue I lost those two and then thought long and hard whether I wanted to try this again but I love boxers so much they are the only breed for me so I researched breeders and finally found one that was cardio testing her breeding adults and they got clear tests and were tested for DM another tragic disease so I felt safe getting my current two dogs from her plus she still has the parents who are alive and doing well. DCM is often a genetic thing but there is some new evidence that grain free dog food plays a part in this. I later found out the father of my young male that died from DCM also has it and his litter mate has it they are both alive and doing well yet they are NOT on grain free dog food. That is a mistake I will never make again. I hope your heart heals mine did with some time but I still miss my dogs everyday they were great dogs even though I have two new babies I will always keep them in my heart. If you get another boxer please research the breeder well ask to see parents see test results ect. and expect to pay more for a health tested dog, all these things do pay off not to have to go thru that kind of pain. Nothing living has a guarantee and weird things may happen you did not expect but you can protect yourself a little.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few days ago I lost my boy Frey. He had just turned 1 and we hadn't had him a year just yet. He had some kind of heart issue that the vet I took him to missed.

Last summer my girlfriend and I were finally in a place where we could get a dog. I had chosen a belgian malinois we named Tyr. But my girlfriend had always wanted a boxer so I caved and we got a boxer as well. I didn't know enough about breeders and they both ended up comming from what I guess you would call a backyard breeder. Seemed like they were well set up and clean. Parents looked healthy and well treated. So I didnt really think much of it. I didn't even really want Frey I was happy with one dog.

What a pain the inseperable duo became. Two puppies at once what a chore. Tyr was a savage escape artist and has murdered 3 kennels to date. Even trying to rip the door off Freys Kennel. I had to get a custom set of solid aluminum kennels made.

I just recently left the Army. Used my pension payout to buy a trailer back home as pet friendly rentals here are upwards of $1500/month. Had been fixing it up before looking for work.

A few weeks back Frey started having fainting spells. Which after the second time I took him to the Vet they did some tests said his heart was good. Blood work was fine. Healthy other than the fainting which I thought had seemed a bit like a heart attack. But the vet assured me he was alright. He would get quite vascular when playing and so we thought maybe his collar was restricting blood flow when he was playing. We had him go without a collar and that seemed to have good results. No more more fainting or collapsing.

I took him to a field to run around with Tyr in the morning before it got hot. After about 15 minutes of playing he collapsed. I went to him to comfort him as he was going through whatever it was. I felt his heart beat which seemed good. I leaned down and told him he was gonna be okay and gave him a kiss. Thats when I suddenly felt his last heartbeat. I immediatly started cpr. But I had this feeling that i needed help. So I threw him in the car and drove him to the vet across town at 140km/hr with the hazards on honking the whole way doing compressions as I drove. It took maybe 2.5 minutes to get there tops. I brought him inside and screamed for help. A vet came and we did cpr together. Another vet came and she checked his heartbeat and called it. My boy was gone. I sat there in the lobby sobbing. They moved us to a room where I cried like I never had before. I called my girlfriend and mother who lives nearby to come seems like it took forever for them to arrive. I had always pictured myself as somewhat tough especially around death. Ive lost people to cancer, suicide, and murder. But this. It hit me like nothing else. Frey was gone. A dog I didn't even want but who had wormed his way into my heart with kisses, cuddles, the way he danced around, how he came to me when he needed help hiding from the vacuum or hair dryer the little chicken. How he always wanted to drink from the spray bottle we used to settle the other dogs down. He had a little heart of gold.

I suppose it goes without saying Ive had a very week. Doesnt seem to be getting any easier. Little reminders of him are ecerywhere I spent the last year building my life around these dogs. Tyr keeps running around everywhere whining as if hes looking for him. We let him say goodbye but I don't know as that he understands. My brother called around and asked a few vets and they seem to think he had dcm or something like that. Or cardiomyapathy and the concensus was that I did everything I could and even if they had figured it out it woulda taken more time than he had. And there wasnt really a cure. I still feel so incredibly guilty, replaying every scenario possible.

Morning are the hardest. I try my best not to cry. Feeding one dog instead of two, seems like Im always finding something of Freys. Looking at two massive kennels. Two, two, two of everything. Tyr has started doing things that only Frey ever did. Like having zoomies on the couch like its his first time up on one. Or giving way too mamy kisses like Frey used to. He even learned to play like a boxer with the rearing up and smacking. Dogs slept on the bed with us. Tyr is now sleeping in the corner of the room alone. Frey used to sleep by our feet and slowly creep is way up to share a bit of your pillow. God I miss him.

Tyr being a Mal I know we'll eventually need to get another dog to help with tiring him out and give companionship. I hated boxers and have now grown to love the breed but I don't know if I could ever get another boxer. I think I would just expect him to be Frey and resent him for being himself.

I know this whole thing is a bit allover the place as my thoughts are a jum led mess and I'm not the best writer, so if you got this far thanks for reading. If theres anything to take from this it's stay away from backyard breeders just cause you get an akc or ckc registration doesn't mean your getting a pup that won't have a deadly hereditary issue later on and rip your heart out. Frey made me love a breed I had always disliked. And for that and a million other reasons I'll never forget him. Love you Frey Frey.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He was so young. I have recently lost my Hank, 5 weeks ago at the age of 6. He is the third boxer I have had, and the hardest to lose. My heart breaks for you. You say the mornings are hard, and I can relate. I actually find coming home after work or a day out very hard. The hugs, and kissess and the true happiness a boxer has when his owners come home is so heart warming. Hold onto the wonderful memories, as I am trying to do myself. Keep talking about him and keep his memory alive.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts