Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My 11 week old Lucy seems to be showing signs of aggression. I'm not actually sure if it's even aggression but it's starting to get out of hand and my boyfriend and I are at our wits end. Lucy loves to bite (which is normal for a puppy) but she's not responding to anything. Stern no, walking away, puppy time outs, all of these things just excite her even more. If we try to tell her no she seems to get angry and growl/bark/bite even more. Lately at night when we're laying down to go to bed she gets in bed with us and begins barking and growling at us. She will then proceed to bite us and won't stop. Nothing works! Last night I left the room in tears because she seemed to be telling me to get out and it felt like she wanted to hurt me. Other times all she wants to do is snuggle with me and love me. I have also noticed she tends to do this towards my boyfriend more so than me. She's excellent when it comes to everything else. She walks great on the leash, goes to the bathroom outside (99% of the time) knows sit, stay, come, shake, down, crate and definitely knows her name (when she wants to). She's got a great personality and is a loving dog which is why I don't understand what is happening during these times. I don't want my tiny puppy to be able to bully me to the point of tears and where I have to leave my own bed or whatever room she's in. Any suggestions on what to do or what may be going on would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Zuke went through about a month long phase like that when he was about 12-15 weeks.

I never had a bed issue though. Maybe you can try playing with her and tiring her out right before you got to bed.

A couple things I did throughout the day was I trained a lot using a slip lead in the house. I found, at least with Zuke, that the leash represented "work time". Before I realized that, it was basically a game for him to see how much he could get away with. Challenging, barking, the "boxer growl", etc. After about a month of training with the leash in the house, he figured it out and I didn't have to use it again.

Also would recommend "sit on the dog" it worked great for indoor issues.
Wheres my sanity: Sit on the Dog, aka: The long down

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone! My 11 week old Lucy seems to be showing signs of aggression. I'm not actually sure if it's even aggression but it's starting to get out of hand and my boyfriend and I are at our wits end. Lucy loves to bite (which is normal for a puppy) but she's not responding to anything. Stern no, walking away, puppy time outs, all of these things just excite her even more. If we try to tell her no she seems to get angry and growl/bark/bite even more. Lately at night when we're laying down to go to bed she gets in bed with us and begins barking and growling at us. She will then proceed to bite us and won't stop. Nothing works! Last night I left the room in tears because she seemed to be telling me to get out and it felt like she wanted to hurt me. Other times all she wants to do is snuggle with me and love me. I have also noticed she tends to do this towards my boyfriend more so than me. She's excellent when it comes to everything else. She walks great on the leash, goes to the bathroom outside (99% of the time) knows sit, stay, come, shake, down, crate and definitely knows her name (when she wants to). She's got a great personality and is a loving dog which is why I don't understand what is happening during these times. I don't want my tiny puppy to be able to bully me to the point of tears and where I have to leave my own bed or whatever room she's in. Any suggestions on what to do or what may be going on would be awesome!

Haha im going through the exact same things with my 11 week old boy! Except for mine doesn't even have an attention span long enough to learn to sit! Let me know when you find a fix for the biting because mine is very stubborn too!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Zuke went through about a month long phase like that when he was about 12-15 weeks.

I never had a bed issue though. Maybe you can try playing with her and tiring her out right before you got to bed.

A couple things I did throughout the day was I trained a lot using a slip lead in the house. I found, at least with Zuke, that the leash represented "work time". Before I realized that, it was basically a game for him to see how much he could get away with. Challenging, barking, the "boxer growl", etc. After about a month of training with the leash in the house, he figured it out and I didn't have to use it again.

Got it covered, I saw that article a long time ago and I found it helpful but kinda complex??? But it is in here also and tried to fill in some of the gaps. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
We're pushing 7 months of age and still battling "no bite" Talos is worst with my son (15 yrs old). He can't walk into the room without the dog trying to jump all over him and bite his hands and feet. I tell my son to be assertive with his commands etc.. nope. If I raise my voice and tell him TALOS SIT! he'll stop. Until my son moves again.

I worked very hard with him this weekend and slowly seen some difference. This morning my son came into the room and the dog laid on the couch with his head in his lap. I'm hoping that this is a sign that we're making progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha im going through the exact same things with my 11 week old boy! Except for mine doesn't even have an attention span long enough to learn to sit! Let me know when you find a fix for the biting because mine is very stubborn too!

LOL I think Lucy has learned if her butt is on the ground she gets a treat. Sometimes I tell her to sit and she looks at me like I have two heads. She's very food oriented so as soon as some type of food is in the picture she's an angel!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're pushing 7 months of age and still battling "no bite" Talos is worst with my son (15 yrs old). He can't walk into the room without the dog trying to jump all over him and bite his hands and feet. I tell my son to be assertive with his commands etc.. nope. If I raise my voice and tell him TALOS SIT! he'll stop. Until my son moves again.

I worked very hard with him this weekend and slowly seen some difference. This morning my son came into the room and the dog laid on the couch with his head in his lap. I'm hoping that this is a sign that we're making progress.

Oh dear! I've heard it can go on and on... I know their teeth bother them until they finally get their adult teeth but it's very frustrating! I'm happy to hear you're making progress. My pup is worse with my boyfriend than with me. I think she sees him as a giant chew toy. He's always playing with her and when he isn't she doesn't understand why not. I'm more of the disciplinary in the house so she listens to me a little bit better. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it covered, I saw that article a long time ago and I found it helpful but kinda complex??? But it is in here also and tried to fill in some of the gaps. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

This is excellent! I'll be watching the videos in the link and taking lots of notes! Lucy is very intelligent I think she can learn very quickly. It took her about two days to learn down! She is very food oriented, so I get her attention by using treats. When food enters the picture she's the perfect angel haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait, what 11 weeks ...is this a different "puppy??" OK ...knows her name and ...it's a girl!!! LOL on it but gonna need some time. :)

Somehow my tiny puppy is big! I kept telling people she was 9 weeks and my boyfriend said "no she isn't, she's actually almost 12 weeks!" Time flies..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the advice! I'm worried I won't do sit on the dog properly so I may need to do some more homework with that. We use a harness currently and she walks excellently with it but I may have to get a slip lead to work with her indoors.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Cute girl! Boxer have a mass of energy.
I don't know where you live, but we are in the south east USA and our boys play more at night due to the heat during the day- this is indoors and out. When we are ready to go 'night night' it's common for Bandit (5 months old) to come alive and want to play.

Some Boxers are talkers/ barkers and others not so much. Both Jax (4 years) and Bandit are talkers/ barkers.

You have to assert yourself as the alpha and be stern and consistent. Don't let them make you leave the room If she's not behaving, get her out of the bed and out of the room when she's 'talking back'. She will know when you are serious and you may need to lead/ carry her out. She will learn quickly that this is not OK.

For no bite, this worked with Jax when he was younger- as well as turning my back on him when he'd bite. Walking away is good, but they could see that as a game and may work better when she's picking up on why you stopped playing.

You have a lot of good advice on here- be stern, boxers are stubborn, be consistent with you and your boyfriend on commands and training.

You could also have something she can bite on when sitting and you are not playing but she wants to bite. This helped us when they were younger- you have to remember to keep a toy close, but say no bite and give her the things she can chew/bite and praise her for chewing on them instead.

Some people, especially kids, think it's funny/ cute when the boxer chews on their fingers or toes or chases after these appendages. It's not so cute/funny when they are 60+ Lbs and have adult teeth.

You are asking good questions and with the advice from folks on here you'll be able to help her learn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cute girl! Boxer have a mass of energy.

I don't know where you live, but we are in the south east USA and our boys play more at night due to the heat during the day- this is indoors and out. When we are ready to go 'night night' it's common for Bandit (5 months old) to come alive and want to play.

Some Boxers are talkers/ barkers and others not so much. Both Jax (4 years) and Bandit are talkers/ barkers.

You have to assert yourself as the alpha and be stern and consistent. Don't let them make you leave the room If she's not behaving, get her out of the bed and out of the room when she's 'talking back'. She will know when you are serious and you may need to lead/ carry her out. She will learn quickly that this is not OK.

For no bite, this worked with Jax when he was younger- as well as turning my back on him when he'd bite. Walking away is good, but they could see that as a game and may work better when she's picking up on why you stopped playing.

You have a lot of good advice on here- be stern, boxers are stubborn, be consistent with you and your boyfriend on commands and training.

You could also have something she can bite on when sitting and you are not playing but she wants to bite. This helped us when they were younger- you have to remember to keep a toy close, but say no bite and give her the things she can chew/bite and praise her for chewing on them instead.

Some people, especially kids, think it's funny/ cute when the boxer chews on their fingers or toes or chases after these appendages. It's not so cute/funny when they are 60+ Lbs and have adult teeth.

You are asking good questions and with the advice from folks on here you'll be able to help her learn.

Thanks! She is a ball of energy. We live in the north east so it's been really nice here during the daytime. We both work full time so she does sleep most of the day in her crate. I come home for lunch breaks to walk her, feed her and play. Since she sleeps a lot during the day I think she wants to and expects to play at night.

She's only really a talker towards my boyfriend and I. She sees other dogs, people, cats, squirrels, etc and makes no peep! I don't mind the barking or the growling it's the biting that I want to put an end to. I'm definitely going to try making her leave the bed/room next time. I agree, we shouldn't be the ones leaving. I also need to practice more patience. I think our frustrated energy feeds her and excites her more. We usually do stick a toy in her face when she tries biting us and praise her when she takes the toy. She's doing very well when we're actively playing with her, it goes badly when we stop.

For example, I went home for lunch and because I wasn't playing with her she began the barking and biting. I did the stern no a few times which only excited her more. Then I turned my back on her, but she continued to bite my back/rear end! It's impossible not to react when her teeth are razor sharp. I left the room before I really began to yell and then she calmed down. I think we're going to work with the place command this week and see how that goes! Thank you for this great advice as well!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'm worried I won't do sit on the dog properly so I may need to do some more homework with that. We use a harness currently and she walks excellently with it but I may have to get a slip lead to work with her indoors.

Aww geez ... lose the "harness!"
No one that is "effective" in dealing with dogs with issues uses a harness! I can guarantee you that if you took your dog to a "Pro," most would have her walking well on a loose leash inside of "Five Minutes!"

And they would all use a "Real Tool!" And by and large it would be a Prong Collar?? But ... while I am not a "Prong" guy ... I am the odd Duck out. :)

I am the "Slip Leash Guy" ... that is the only tool they will let you use in rescue! Fact of the matter is ... they will give you one! They don't work for crap for them ... but hey ... they are not me!

Your "screwing yourself" with a harness! You can't "Correct" a dog with a harness and a proper correction ... is a slight tug sideways!

If your goal is to create a well behaved dog/puppy?? There is only one thing ... you need to do "effectively" .... "Walk your dog!" :

People can "quibble" over "Larry's" advice if they chose. But me ... I don't because unknown to me ... many years ago ... I "provided proof to his words" with my "uh issue prone (H/A) first Working Line GSD.:
What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Walking your dog "effectively" "Train Place" and do "Sit on the Dog!" If you do ... nothing else ... you will see a "change in your dog!"

But ... we have a "discussion" on gentle leader crap ... right now on GSD. :
Structured walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums

And "Sit on the Dog" I don't know ... I found more value in the "Place Command" myself but I do both. I'd say don't overthink it. Watch the Video ... and you just "Sit!" Not sure if I'd do the whole 30 minute deal the first time out ... although I did.

But it's not a Sit/Sit/Sit deal or a Down/Down/Down deal ... keep your mouth ... shut, let the dog/puppy ... figure it out.

And for training your dog to Walk well on a loose leash here you go. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

And so you know ... I did not start with a SLL I used a Flat Leash and Regular at first. At my first rescue ... "Boxers and Buddies" they handed me a SLL and a claimed Boxer "Puller??" I said OK ... saw the little tabby thing positioned the leash high and snug ... and ... waited???

In less than 5 minutes ... the claimed puller ... walked as well on leash as my well trained "Struddell!" :)

Course when I handed "Tic Tac Toe" over at the end of the day ... there he goes again "Dragging his handler behind him???" :crazyeye:

That was kinda disappointing??? But ... do a rethink on the "harness deal" is all I'm saying. :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
And "Sit on the Dog" I don't know ... I found more value in the "Place Command" myself but I do both. I'd say don't overthink it. Watch the Video ... and you just "Sit!" Not sure if I'd do the whole 30 minute deal the first time out ... although I did.

But it's not a Sit/Sit/Sit deal or a Down/Down/Down deal ... keep your mouth ... shut, let the dog/puppy ... figure it out.
Funny but Zuke did not like the place command, but the "sit on the dog" worked wonders. Guess each dog is different.

Agree about the harness. Maybe I'm wrong but I was always told if you want a working dog to move foward and pull, put a harness on them. Only time I use a harness is on bike rides when I want him to work by pulling me on the bike.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Funny but Zuke did not like the place command, but the "sit on the dog" worked wonders. Guess each dog is different.

Agree about the harness. Maybe I'm wrong but I was always told if you want a working dog to move foward and pull, put a harness on them. Only time I use a harness is on bike rides when I want him to work by pulling me on the bike.
I advocate and train both but yeah ... I have it odd that "Sit on the Dog" seems to get more interest than "Place" on here??? :crazyeye:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I advocate and train both but yeah ... I have it odd that "Sit on the Dog" seems to get more interest than "Place" on here??? :crazyeye:
I tried "place" 1st but wasn't getting anywhere. Did the "sit on the dog" for a week and then he figured out "place". Haha. He couldn't last more than a few minutes, which was odd, because he would go to his bed and stay when dinner was out which was anywhere from a 1/2 hour to an hour. He associated dinner with not moving off his bed, but wouldn't do "place".

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Honestly ...what you see is why ... sigh, I don't tend to recommend Boxers to most people.
But I don't play favorites I don't tend to recommend GSD to most people either. :)

GSD gone wrong can be a ER visit or Vet trip for someone or dog?? And Boxers gone bad typically are a pretty hair pulling experience. :)

But ... it is what it is ... the "Crate" ... is not a magic Bullet ... I did not use one and my Struddell did sleep in bed with me ... no problem. But the fact of the matter is that the only dogs/puppies that should be sleeping in the owner's bed ... are dog't that are not doing what your puppy is doing! If a dog has any "behavioural issues" then they need to be Crated Trained ... period! If you don't Crate your puppy ... then you need to be able deal with the lack of disciple that Crate Training enables. I don't really see a way around that ... for most people???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly ...what you see is why ... sigh, I don't tend to recommend Boxers to most people.
But I don't play favorites I don't tend to recommend GSD to most people either. :)

GSD gone wrong can be a ER visit or Vet trip for someone or dog?? And Boxers gone bad typically are a pretty hair pulling experience. :)

But ... it is what it is ... the "Crate" ... is not a magic Bullet ... I did not use one and my Struddell did sleep in bed with me ... no problem. But the fact of the matter is that the only dogs/puppies that should be sleeping in the owner's bed ... are dog't that are not doing what your puppy is doing! If a dog has any "behavioural issues" then they need to be Crated Trained ... period! If you don't Crate your puppy ... then you need to be able deal with the lack of disciple that Crate Training enables. I don't really see a way around that ... for most people???

You'll be happy to hear I have ordered a SLL and have been watching tons of videos. It'll be here tomorrow so we can begin working on that step by step.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I don't honestly believe she's being aggressive, I think she just has a lot of pent up energy she isn't sure how to let out. I think when she's biting/barking at us it's her way of saying "hello! Why aren't you playing with me?!" When we try to tell her no during this time it seems to make her more animated. I don't think she understands why we're mad at her for trying to play. I have been turning my back on her and that's been working. There's just sometimes when she's in her absolutely crazy mode there's no dealing with it lol just move out of her way!

She's in the crate during the day when we're both at work so she's decently crate trained. I come home for lunch to feed, walk and play with her. I want her to sleep in the bed with us, but she may need to have additional crate time at night until she learns some better manners. She has a pretty good routine so I don't think that's causing any issues.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It sounds like she is doing better and I do not believe she is being aggressive either she is being a "toddler". There were times we put our guy in his crate when he was a baby just because he was biting and being wild. I found he was doing this when over tired or just needing a break. He is 3 now and really very good. Are has slept most night in his crate until lately. Now he goes out about 9 then runs to my daughters room hops on his bed, complete with blanket and pillow and goes to sleep till 6 in the morning, goes out, eats and back to ed for an hour or two. Just keep working with her and yes the SLL is a good tool. We also have one though we walk on a prong collar with a slip collar for protection if the prong fails, sort of like a double collar but the slip isn't working, I'm always afraid that the prong ay come apart, it hasn't but they have been know too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts