Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt is usually pretty good about calming down in his crate, but today and yesterday he was having a rough time and kept insisting we play instead of take a nap in the crate even though he was just snoozing downstairs. I've found that no matter how hyped up he is, if I sing him a lullaby, about five minutes later he's out like a light. Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I worked in a dog rescue centre and they had the radio on for the dogs all day and night. We used to have the radio on for our dog for the first few weeks.

We have never sung to our dog as far as I know.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Aww well ... it's a "Boxer!" I get it and by and large "Boxer" by there very nature ... encourage people to do "stuff!'

I'm not really good at soft peddling info ... so for me yeah the singing thing is "crap!" Bu ... you know whatever ...if it works for you go for it.

But but so you know "if" you chose to use a "Crate" it is your job to "teach the dog" to be quite in the "Crate" or there will be consequences! Maybe ... your dog is different?

I don't know but I can pretty much guarantee you that number of "Pro's" that would do that is uh "Zero!"

Use a radio if you chose but the ...singing thing ... well if you "want to dig deeper into "Separation Anxiety??" Must likely you singing to the dog would be a good start???

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Place the puppy in the crate and let him cry it out until he learns to settle. Singing or talking is only coddling him and will make him needy and dependant on you in the future.

You are asking for some serious separation anxiety issues.

Please remember, these are not human babies. They are animals. You can show them love and affection but you need to set boundaries and rules and treat them like dogs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We put the radio on during the day when we're at work, but we don't at night. We had to just put Willow in the crate and let her settle herself. It took her a looong time to get used to it but she eventually did.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Do as Kaco said. They get use to it. I can get up in the morning, make coffee, take care of other animals and Kai will look and just go back to sleep until I open his crate and tell him lets go out. We did as Kaco said from day 1. We did place a blanket over the crate in the beginning but that was it and after he starting pulling it into his crate we got rid of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts