Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. I was hoping someone here might have had some experience with an issue my Boxer and I are going through. About a month ago I noticed my Boxer limping slightly, I took him to my vet and they did a full range of motion and exam. He was happy to comply and let the vet do her exam with no issues (he actually likes visiting the vet).

About a week later, he sat down in front of me and I noticed a sizeable lump in his armpit. Took him back to the vet immediately and they did another exam. This time if the vet put pressure on the lump, he would whine and pull away, but as soon as she let off he was all butt wiggle and kisses again.

We did an x-ray to rule out bone cancer and it came back clean, no cancer at all. They did blood work to rule out heartworms and Lyme disease, and both of those came back clean.

Sent home with a course of cephalexin, gabapentin, and carprofen. Later added Tramadol to help with pain.

We have had mixed results with meds. The "mass" shrinks and grows throughout the day and the limp comes and goes. Some days he can't put any pressure on that leg at all, and three legs it, some days are all the way on the opposite of the spectrum and he seems to be doing better. Even wanting to play around.

I'm not really concerned with it being cancer, as the rate of change in the size fluctuate a fair amount throughout the day. The vet said all we can do at the moment is continue with meds and see if it resolved itself, but at this point we're a month in and there is no consistent change for the better.

I'm hoping this looks familiar to someone here and they can point me in a direction to check. Bear will be 9 years old this coming April 2022. Never had any health problems before, and weight is staying steady somewhere around 94lbs, +/- 2 or 3lbs. He is my service dog, and is with me everyday. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. At this point just having some ideas as to what it could be would be helpful.

Wood Automotive tire Floor Fawn Flooring

Dog breed Felidae Wood Mammal Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
At this point I would be doing an exploratory surgery to see what you are dealing with. Is it an abscess that needs draining? Is it something more seriously? If it’s an abscess, I would send the fluid away for culture so you know the correct antibiotics to use as not all respond to the same bacteria.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have they taken a fluid sample of the mass to see if cancer cells are present? Have they discussed maybe this could be a lipoma? One other poster on here with an older boxer had a lipoma on their dog that was affecting their dog in a similar way

1 - 3 of 3 Posts