Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since Saturday I would put chicken broth with a pinch of chicken in Lunas orijen kibble and she would gobble it all up. The problem is that she would have loose to liquid diarreah. Even though she eats all her food now she has diarreah everytime. She is happy and still energetic. So today i mixed a lil water and again a pinch of chicken and yup she ate the whole bowl but less than a minute later she went liquidity. I need advise. At first she wouldnt eat much and her stool was loose (w/out broth or chicken) I thought maybe Orijen is to much for her as well, but i already bought the 25lb. Any thoughts. Should i just add water and let her eat what she can, or do i try to maybe add meat.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I would feed her strickly the kibble. If she doesn't eat after 20-30 min take it away and feed her at her next meal. She may skip a meal or two but she won't starve herself. Even a pup that normally eats well will skip a meal now and then.
I feed our guy Victor dog food. $40. for a 40 lb bag. I buy it at local feed store but Chewy and others carry it. Go to dogfoodadvisor.com to see its rating. You can also go to their site for protein%. I think Orijin is probablyone of thebest kibble out there though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lindar51. I actually stopped mixing the chicken with her kibble, but i did go to the pet store and get pumpkin to see if that helps the diarreah. So now i only add a bit of water. Hope that helps

·
Registered
163 Posts
How old is your pup and why are you adding water or chicken broth to the food? Boxers notoriously have sensitive tummies. So it may not be that he/she is allergic to chicken but your adding in a new food which could be making their tummy angry.

We've gone through some trial and error with our boy. We've learned that he's pretty sensitive. So when it comes to treats etc.. we just don't. That doesn't mean he doesn't get treats. But it's either pieces of his kibble or some cheese when we work on training or need to give him medicine.

Even the food that he/she is on, was it introduced slowly?

We switched from the purina puppy chow he was on when we first brought him home. Did all of our home work. Everything from, which brands are considered "safe" to how much protein is too much for his age etc. We chose to go with Taste of the Wild. It's Bison and Venison based. He loves it. But we did a very very slow transition. Like 25% new to 75% old for at least a week. then 50/50% for a week. Don't get me wrong but we still get occasional days of loose stool but nothing like before.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh and his food is $45 to $50 for a 30 lb bag which lasts about a month. That's been pretty standard pricing whether we order it, buy from the feed store of the pet store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello shaciam630. Luna is now 13wks. I was told to add a bit of water so soften up the kibble since the kibble is kinda big. The pet store i went to told me that since i have Luna and also a 1yr old chihuhua I could feed them Orijen Adult food, but its pretty pricey and I think that im going to finish this bag and try either Acana or TOTW. I have seen many people here in the forum talk good things about both brands. I was also adding the broth so Luna could finish up her food. Today i added a bit of water with some canned pumpkin to help her tummy out. $50 for a 30lb bag sounds good to me.. I payed like $75 for the 25lb of Orijen. Thats waaaay to much for me. Even if it is the best of the best. My budget doesnt allow for it..lol (the pic was taken today)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Carlos. If your going to switch foods do it now while you still have this food as the above post stated you do it gradually.
week one 25% new to 75% ld
week two. 50% new to 50% old
week three 75% new to 25% old
week four. 100% new

·
Registered
163 Posts
Adorable babies! I would just be careful that there isn't to much protein for a 13 week old puppy. If the protein level is to high it was speed the growth process and lead to joint and hip problems later. We had also looked at Orijen and that is way out of our budget too. Nice thing with the one we chose is there is a puppy formula and adult formula so when the time is right we can switch it without causing to much grief for our pup.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but could you just be over feeding her?

Maybe just slightly adjusting her food intake. I wouldn't be putting anything in with the kibble though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lindar51- yes i will be switching her food i just need something that i can feed both of them. Not sure if giving my 1yr old puppy food would be good or not. That is why i bought the Orijen adult food. I was told i could give to both.

shaciam630-yes Orijen is way expensive. I was thinking going to Acana or TOTW and maybe Blue Buffalo.

Matt74- I am feeding Luna about a cup per feeding which is what it says on the dog food bag. I was feeding her 3x per day but i see that she really doesnt touch the mid day food. So I think im going to just do morning and evening feeding.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Matt74- I am feeding Luna about a cup per feeding which is what it says on the dog food bag. I was feeding her 3x per day but i see that she really doesnt touch the mid day food. So I think im going to just do morning and evening feeding.
Sounds about right. Same amount I was feeding my pup. 1 cup 3 times a day but that was with BB puppy.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You might need to take a stool sample to your vet to see if she has a problem. With diarrhea you sometimes make plain rice, and mix it with just a little broth until things firm up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts