Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks back we were walking Debo and came across another boxer, a much BIGGER boxer (3 years old). We talked with the owner and she was very nice. Her dog, Winston, seemed ready to go though, growling and what not. They were both jumping up at each other. She told us where she lived and to come over anytime so they could play. She said they would probably "duke it out" for a few minutes and then be cool with each other. I was a bit nervous, b/c Debo isn't the most socialized around other dogs and Debo is half her dog's size! He looked like he was on steroids! LOL.

So today we decided to stop over to her house. I always thought that you should have new dogs meet on neutral territory, but she seemed to know what she was talking about, so I followed her lead. She told me to take him off his leash and let him run around. I was hesitant, but said okay. We went in the back yard and they started to go at it (like you see in those dog fight videos). Winston was lunging at Debo and Debo was barking and "boxing" back. She hurried and grabbed Winston as best she could and it was alot of tension between the two. So much that her dog LITERALLY drug her for a few feet on the ground! She kept assuring me that it was okay. That they would do this. Ummm, I wasn't too comfortable with that. She decided to put her dog in the house and wait for her husband, so he could introduce them. She thought he might be protective of her and her son. My fiancee and son and our other dog was there as well. She let her dog check us out from the windows. Her husband came over and took him out of the house. They went buck wild again and this time their dog put a HUGE gash in Debo's leg. Debo started whining. The dad broke them up and said "Yeah, this isn't going to work". He thought it was too many people. I thought it was a combination of two males, his territory, and too many people. I suggested maybe they meet on neutral territory and only one of us (male). Any thoughts? My poor guy :(

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
OMG! Poor Debo...I know this is a subject for Liz but I just wanted to say how sorry I was and hope his leg is okay  :(

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wow...I'm thinking I would hesitate to go back there again any time soon...if you HAVE to deal with two dogs behaving like that in the same home, that is one thing...but, seems to me that their dog hasn't been socialized very well with other dogs...darn dog aggressive...poor Debo...I'm sorry he got hurt! I am sure that Liz or Sharon will have some tips for you...I can't tell you anything but that I would have been just as scared as you were! :cry:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh wow, that didn't go well at all did it? Poor Debo, I really hope he's ok and this didn't totally terrify him...Definitely Winston was on HIS turf, hence he will be more protective, it sounds like even when you met him walking he was already having issues. Is Winston neutered? Myself, I don't think I would do a repeat of that, even on neutral territory, it sounds like Winston is a bit more aggressive than Debo. Plus the fact that you say Debo hasn't been socialized a lot, he needs to be around dogs that are not going to be as aggressive towards him....I may be way off on this, but just a thought...Give Debo a big hug for me and sorry you had such a bad experience...It very well could be these people really don't know their boxer as well as they should...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Liz, you and I must have been typing the same time!!! I'm learning, I said just about the same thing!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Let me bring Ares over.  He's only 60 lbs, but he can handle his own...we'll show the bully what's up :D

--

Nah really though, sometimes some dogs just don't get along.  Next time you're going to do this, bring one of those air horn things you get at WAL - MART along incase a fight breaks out.  Just blast it and run at them, that'll seperate them quick, no risk of getting bit either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChloeBellesMommy - thank you..it's pretty deep, alot of blood drawn. I didn't even notice until a few minutes after their scuffle when the man noticed and i was like wow! and the woman was like "yeah" like it was nothing!

MicnIndysMom - yeah, i didn't think something was right. but she made it seem like it was perfectly normal to fight before they are cool with one another. they said they owned 4 other boxers before, so i just kind of followed their lead although it didn't feel right.

lillyzmomma - trust me, i'm just trying to learn and any insight is GREATLY appreciated. you are right, we should have left that situation asap. i don't want him exposed to aggression with dogs, as that will be his first instinct with other dogs. maybe it's my fault for not socializing him with other dogs enough. we walk him and he sees other dogs and sniffs them behind fences, but thats about it. i really wanted him to start getting more socialized and so that is why i went to her house. but i guess it backfired. i also found it strange that she takes winston to another neighbor's house and she said that they did the same thing, went at it for a bit before they calmed down. i'm looking into classes as we speak, so we can work on that socialization.

samsonsmom - thanks for your concerns. there is a park right next to their house and i've let debo sniff winston from behind their fence. there is usually some grunting and a little barking. debo was all interested at first but after a couple minutes would walk away like, whatever. i wanted to do that a few times before they "met" face to face, thinking that would help their interaction. maybe it made it worse? i'm learning so much. and yes, winston was like that on the walk. he was ready to GO. she said that he was sweet and would never bite or anything like that, but he looked like the scariest dog i'd ever seen that day. maybe it's my ignorance and never owning a boxer before. she just made it seem like it was so normal. i always had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about them interacting again with each other after that day, but i decided not to listen to it, when i should have.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
poor debo!! i am glad he is ok, except for the leg booboo. I agree though i wouldnt take him back anytime soon. it is hard knowing you need to socialize your dog and this is the outcome. boxer hugs to debo-hope he gets feeling better soon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deapee - lol, gang up on him, huh? and yeah it sounds like that horn idea would definitely work. i think i'm going to work on either the classes or finding others with less aggressive dogs for debo's first encounters with other dogs

southerngirls - thank you. i thought i was doing the right thing, and everytime i do, it backfires :( you live and learn though. i won't be taking him back there. thank you again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cholebellesmommy - It looks alot better today, looks like it starting to close up a bit. Thanks for asking. I was wondering if there is something I can put on it?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I use Neosporin too, Kiah got a small cut at the last Boxer meetup (think it was the stick they were playing with) just didn't want it to get infected.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sorry your first play date went so bad and that debo wasn't hurt any worse than he was.  I believe it was in the Boxers for Dummies book that I read if two male boxers get into a fight, they are enemies for life.  I don't know if that is true, but I'd definitely stay away from that other dog.  Too  dangerous to take a change.  Feel better Debo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same type of events happened to me when I took Blue to play with my cousins 6 year old Boxer, Duke.  It definately didn't go well and the two had to be seperated.  Sometimes it just doesn't work!  Duke is a great dog, when he isn't with other dogs, and Blue is so friendly he walks up to complete strangers while in the dog park!  I personally would never take Blue to play with Duke ever again, and I would give the same advice to you with this situation.  Luckly, Blue wasn't hurt like Debo!  Hopefully Debo is recovering well....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry it didn't go well and hopefully you find a good playmate for Debo.  Glad he wasn't hurt badly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ChloeBellesMommy & kiahsmom - I will have to pick some of that up. My poor guy. At least he's not limping or anything. He did for a couple of minutes yesterday after their little fight.

Kate - Hmm, I will have to look that up. I could see that being true. After reading everyone's input and my own gut feeling, I won't be taking him back to that house.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts