Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor Debo! I hope his leg is better. I don't think those 2 are going to be the best of friends. Debo will have to make friends elsewhere! Hopefully, Debo isn't traumatized.
When we go to the dog park, Manny plays well with all dogs except for 1 of the boxers that also goes there. Almost, like a power trip for the other boxer, he must want to be the ONLY boxer there! The last time they were there together he went after Manny! My poor baby! Good thing Manny was still on his leash and my husband could take him away from the crazy one! Obviously, that incident didn't affect Manny because once the other boxer left, he went on his way to say hi to all the other humans and dogs in the park! Whew!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Blue32007 - It's good and not so good to hear this has happened to other people. I didn't know if it was Debo or the other dog or what. I guess some dog's just don't get along with each other. I'm glad your pup didn't get hurt.

kiahsmom - Thank you!

Bellasmomma - Aw! I wish! :) That would be nice! I feel like Debo is scorned and well "scarred" now :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MannysMommy - Thank you and I agree that they won't be the best friends we THOUGHT they COULD be. And wow! Yeah I do think that was a "Boxer" thing. I need to read up on that about boxers.

Also, I'm wondering for those that have gone to Boxer MeetUps, has there been problems?

·
Registered
21 Posts
We had met another Boxer owner at the vet and he said that a couple times when his boxer has met another boxer, they seemed to treat each other like royalty and will only play with each other!  Almost like they know they are the same breed. I guess Manny has been like that with other boxers we've met, it has just been that one particular boxer he's had problems with. Maybe the other one is just jealous of Manny's looks :p  Since he is so "pretty."
But, his best friend at the dog park is a Great Dane! Who is 3 months younger than Manny and 2x bigger than Manny! They totally ignore all the other dogs! It's hard to separate them to leave!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We generally average about 25 boxers at our meetups and yes fights do happen...the dogs involved are put back on leash and taken to separate parts of the yard to cool off, then let back off and watched very closely...With so many boxers, there are always plenty of people to step in, and we scatter ourselves around too, works very well....Samson does not go as he does have issues with multiple dogs and I can't see exposing him to that, so it's just Angel & I that go to meetups....I will say tho, the times we have had scuffles, were pretty minor, it's us humans that are generally in more danger from being run over by a stampede of boxers!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We have had a couple of tiffs at our meetups, one dog has had problems with two other ones but they were curtailed very quickly.  So far Kiah hasn't met a dog she hasn't liked at the dog park or day care but one older golden retriever didn't like her and snapped at her when she got close to him.  She was more surprised then scared.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
MannysMommy - haha, it probably is because he is so pretty :) Aw, that is so cute about him and the great dane. Great Danes seem to have pretty good temperament even though they look big and scary! lol I'm just hoping it's not an issue with Debo, that hopefully it was just that one dog.

samsonsmom - so what is normal "getting to know eachother" behavior? i think i witnessed it when we brought home jass. they tested each other and did the jumping thing (well debo mostly), debo barked and would pounce at her but not touch her, then just alot of sniffing. should it be the same for boxers? and yes i agree, a stampede of boxers for us humans would not be good!

kiahsmom - aw precious girl..so what did she do when the dog snapped at her, did she get in defense mode or was she just a little shocked and then shook it off and walked away? i'm just wondering if debo's reaction to the dog was normal? also, i must note...winston also snapped at jass, who was just walking around and watching. she only got within a few feet of her and he snapped at her! she didn't do anything!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sadiesmomma - thanks for checking up on him. he's definitely back to himself :) he's getting around just fine. he's a toughie!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Any time 2 dogs meet, I think it's best done with both on leash, when only one is, the dog on leash is automatically on the defensive..Watch the body language. I'm adding a sticky post that Liz did regarding that and it is very helpful....Both Samson & Angel are really good with other dogs one on one, Angel does much better in groups, I just keep a real close eye on her and especially when we have new arrivals, watch their body language, when you know your dog, you will easily see the difference between play and aggression...

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=1534

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
samsonsmom - Great, thank you so much. I will definitely check it out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am with Liz on this one. That wasnt the best way to introduce the dogs and that woman is crazy to say that it is okay for them to go at it for a few minutes then they will play. I would have headed home after the first incident.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.