Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anyone else out there that feels that the respective kennel clubs (AKC,CKC etc) should implement a mandatory DNA submittal and verification as part of the registration process. I personally feel this is one step that could reinforce a more pure and accountable environment for breeding. Not just of the Boxer, but of all pure breeds. I personally get frustrated seeing My favorite breed being slowly diluted by poor breeding. I have been told by highly respected international breeders and judges that this is primarily an American issue. I hope we can take the right steps to keep our Breed standardized and un-changed while at the same time eliminating un-wanted dogs bred by unethical, un-checked breeders.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I feel as though this is a very inappropriate post.. I know I am part of a Boxer forum but my dog is a mixed breed. That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to live or be part of "society". She is like any other dog... Just because her lineage isn't "pure" doesn't mean she is any less than any other dog. That's just my opinion though... Maybe I misinterpreted this post...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I feel as though this is a very inappropriate post.. I know I am part of a Boxer forum but my dog is a mixed breed. That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to live or be part of "society". She is like any other dog... Just because her lineage isn't "pure" doesn't mean she is any less than any other dog. That's just my opinion though... Maybe I misinterpreted this post...?
I am sorry you were offended but in no way was my post an anti-mixed breed post. In no part of my post did I insinuate Mixed breeds shouldn’t live or be social outcasts. I own two mixed breed dogs along with my boxer. They are no less the dog that pure breeds are. The problem is that a lot of people are being fraudulently sold dogs of supposed "Pure" blood yet are not. There is really no absolute verification process by the AKC. It still operates on the honor system with regards to Dam and Sire for litter registration and this is resulting in overbreeding and a progressive change to the breed. In general, it is widely accepted that dog overpopulation needs to be controlled, therefore awareness and a systematic approach to a nearly mandated neutering and spaying culture has been established. I feel that a multi-pronged approach to this issue should be taken including mandatory DNA tests when registering a litter of pups and stricter enforcement on "Puppy Mills" while continueously educating the public. With the amount of money that changes hands with the purchasing of dogs and the amount of dogs without a home, I would think there would be stricter regulation or safeguards in place to ensure the standard, remains, the standard . Additionally, ensuring that breeders are doing so ethically and with intentions other than monetary gain. I love mixed breeds. I also love pure boxers. That’s all I was saying

·
Registered
373 Posts
Okay I did misinterpret the previous post then, my bad!
I do know there are a few breeders on this forum that are very welly informed on the standards, maybe there is something more to this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I did misinterpret the previous post then, my bad!
I do know there are a few breeders on this forum that are very welly informed on the standards, maybe there is something more to this?
Up here in PA we are the Puppy Mill capitol of the US. So it is just an idea I had and was looking for some more educated insight. Oh BTW. Your Boxer is cute as hell. Cant beat that face!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'm sure he meant no insult. My second dog Stewie was a Boxer/Pit mix and I found Boxers through him.

I lost him early and I wanted that kind of "spirit" again in a dog! So it was 50/50 and I guessed right! He was most definitely part Boxer!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I think there are many ethical breeders out there. I think as a consumer one needs to be aware of what and who they are purchasing from, education is key. I honestly don't want to see more rules and regulations.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
My take on things......

1) DNA testing will not stop over breeding or poor breeding practices
2) as far as I am aware, the AKC is the only registry that requires DNA for Stud dogs that sire 7 or more litters or that are being collected from for Chilled or frozen semen.

What I would like to see from our registries is mandatory health testing prior to registering a litter. I also wouldn't be against DNA testing all breeding stock and puppies however who is going to enforce this? To make sure people are being honest they would have to have an AKC representative come out to their home to perform each cheek swab... There isn't enough resources or man power to do this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My take on things......

1) DNA testing will not stop over breeding or poor breeding practices
2) as far as I am aware, the AKC is the only registry that requires DNA for Stud dogs that sire 7 or more litters or that are being collected from for Chilled or frozen semen.

What I would like to see from our registries is mandatory health testing prior to registering a litter. I also wouldn't be against DNA testing all breeding stock and puppies however who is going to enforce this? To make sure people are being honest they would have to have an AKC representative come out to their home to perform each cheek swab... There isn't enough resources or man power to do this.
That would be amazing to implement health testing. I guess this is just all wishful thinking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This may sound stupid... But do you mean to guarantee that the dig us pure bred, or to test for defects like hip ailments? Because the Breed DNA tests are unreliable. If you meant to rule out faulty type DNA I totally agree.
As many of you have probably heard my talk about, I'm big into pits. I've always felt the Pitt breeds should have a mandatory spay/neuter unless in a reputable breeding program, and I feel that this SHOULD be the way with all breeds, and it should be regulated.
As the owner of a mix Breed who probably would've been euthanized if not for the miraculous Rescue that found her, I am sick and tired of BYBs, over population, and all the dogs that die from it. I don't give a crap about ignorant trash's 'right to breed' if they aren't going to do it right. Breeding should be done only to continue and perfect the Breed, but obviously some people don't get that, and something must be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts