Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(...we took Manny to puppy school today and he did very well. Played with a bigger puppy and had a blast. Hyper as usual.

After school, my GF and I decided to take Manny to the park and take a little walk. We noticed there were several dogs playing unleashed at the park...they were all very nice and one even kept following Manny and playing with him.

As we were walking away towards the lake, we were about 50 yards from the group of people/dogs, I looked back and saw this one dog charging towards us at full speed, at first I thought he was after a toy or something, then he just went straight for our puppy :( :evil:

The dog got on Manny's throat and wouldn't let go...I was holding on to Manny's leash and I tried pulling the pitbull away with his collar but wouldn't let go of Manny's throat. Another lady was helping out too. My heart just stopped hearing my GF scream and Manny cry. It probably lasted about 30 seconds until a homeless man grabbed the pitbull and put him on a headlock position. Then I got Manny and carried him away from the scene. The homeless man was yelling at the pitbull saying "you don't do that to a puppy!" and I think he also wouldn't let go of him, as I was walking away, I just saw one lady kicking the homeless man saying " let go of him! you should go after the owners! etc."

It's just so sad this had to happen to our little guy. He's so friendly with everyone and every dog and just wanted to play all the time. Now we're affraid, he's gonna be aggressive towards other dogs?

We already took him to the Vet and his puncture wounds aren't very deep. The owner said their dog is updated on all his shots. Rabies etc. Manny got some antibiotics and he was shaken up by this but he's now slowly getting back to his old ways...playing, jumping around etc. We reported this to the Animal Services in San Luis Obispo and as we walked in, the owner of the Pitbull was on the phone with the clerk. The clerk seem to be neutral and finds the pitbull owner nice because she seems concerned. I think the owner's just worried they might take him away from her. She kept telling me on the phone that her dog is a boxer. I told her she looks like a pit to me. Then she said she has a little bit of pitbull in him but the vet recognizes him as a boxer. Anyway, I could go on and on about this horrible experience but I just hope this doesn't change Manny :( Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OMG that is terrible! That is my biggest fear while walking Sarge even just around the block. Your pics made my heart sink :( I don't have any advice but I am glad he physically will be okay.

·
Banned
888 Posts
I'm SOOOO sorry this happened to you and Manny!!! Poor baby really got chomped on :( :( :(
So, this happened while Manny was on leash, and the other dogs were off leash in an area they shouldn't have been (i.e. not at a leash-free dog park)?

Honestly, I think the whole thing was probably more traumatic to you and your gf than it is to Manny. I hear Caesar say this all the time, but I really believe it to be true: "dogs live in the now". I think it's really important to continue to socialize him in safe environments, and to try not to dwell on what happened today as it was really a freak accident/occurrence! Don't continue to replay it in your mind while out with him. Try not to feel sorry for him or be OVERprotective when he's playing. That said, pay attention to cues of other dogs. He's gonna be just fine, and continue to be a great, social pup!

Also, as per dog parks: I'll tell you right now I'm not a fan, and I don't go. However, if you do go (and I know other parts of the country have different kinds of parks), if you ever feel uncomfortable when a dog enters that you think is not well adjusted or socialized, LEAVE. No big deal, just leave. Even if you just got there, you can try another day!

Also +1, I see Manny is just 3 mos old, so I assume he's still in tact. I find that my dog was a HUGE walking target when he was a puppy because he still had his huevos. It's sad, because they are just immature young pups, but I found as soon as I neutered him, he stopped being such a target. That said, if someone's dog has a lick of aggression towards in-tact dogs, I don't think they should be off leash, but that doesn't stop them. Sorry for Manny, but he's gonna grow to be a great, well socialized dog!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we entered the park, we kept seeing signs saying dogs should be on leash...when we got to one area, we saw all these dogs that were off leash...there were no fence etc...the animal services told us that that part of the park is an off leash dog park....Laguna Lake Park in San luis Obispo...there were no fence...it was just an open field....so we walked away from them and headed to the lake...one aussie type dog kept following us and playing with manny...but was called in by the owner...then 2-3 mins later, we were about 50 yds away, this pitbull attacked us.

we feel terrible...we shouldn't have taken him there...but it was our first time there too. so we didn't really know what to expect...we thought we would just have manny play with ducks by the lake.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ouch, sorry that this happened.

Hopefully the owner took full responsibility.

Good to know that homeless people have hearts too, and he was trying to help in this situation.

I agree with Gotlucky's post. Keep Manny social and don't get scared for him.

Also, why didn't Manny give the pitt a 1-2 punch? Or a quick uppercut? I thought Manny Pacquiao was the best and fastest fighter, pound for pound!? Sorry, I had to throw that in.

Take care Manny and family.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OMG I am so sorry!!! The pics brought tears in my eyes and as Mom2Sarge said it made my heart sink too :weep: That's what I was always scared of to happen to mine, because he was so little. Now he's getting bigger and I feel more comfy having him around big dogs. I have extreme reactions and I know if that would've happen to mine, I would have beatin' the dog to get him off. If that happens next time, I hope not, punch on the nose of the others dog or pull him by his tail. That's what I was always told. I know it doesn't sound nice, but otherwise your pup will get hurt, you know. I hope you all are going to be fine. I hope that this experience is not going to ruin your walks now... try to forget about it, so you don't have to get stressed out every time another dog approaches. Big hugs from Titus and me >:D< >:D< >:D<

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My gosh how awful..I feel so bad for Manny..I would have lost it..I mean really lost it. :evil:...that poor little guy..breaks my heart he had no damn idea why that was happening to him..hugs to him.. >:D<

·
Registered
699 Posts
Poor little guy! I'm so sorry that happened. Try not to feel responsible, you were just taking your dog for a walk, leashed, in a park. This really should not have happened.

I know it wasn't a dog park, but I've been nervous about taking my dogs to the dog park.....not everyone is responsible with their dogs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh my god, that is terrible, those pics made my heart sink too :( :weep:
The dog should obviously not be off of a leash if he attacks puppies :evil: Lets hope Manny doesn't distrust other dogs. I don't think he will though as I imagine the other dogs he's aroung are nice.
Poor guy hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I always carry Spray Shield when i walk my two. It's a citronella based spray that you can buy at PetsMart. I've only had to use it once (and believe it or not it was when Starr and Bailey for into a scuffle) and that stopped the fight immediately. It's not harmful to the dog or to people (unlike mace or pepper spray). Our trainer actually recommended i get it once i told her that we have roaming dogs in our neighborhood.

Trudy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Trudy, that sounds like something I need, after reading this.

Poor Manny :oops: :cry: , but like someone else said, likely he will not even remember. You should try to forget the trauma and fear as well so he doesn't react to YOU reacting the next time he meets a strange dog. Don't forget the incidence- I'm not saying that, but rather... remember it and use it to your advantage, to learn.. to read those signals. Big big hugs. >:D< >:D<

Manny looks wonderful at class, let us know how his next one goes! :razz:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This sort of thing is what makes me want to kick people in the throat. Freak accidents happen all the time, but it still makes me angry.

Poor Manny. But he's a baby and will hopefully not even remember this.

I love his puppy class pics - he looks like he has such a good time there.

Don't beat yourself up - you did nothing wrong.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts