Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Marcie when we picked her up 2 1/2 weeks ago. She was 10 weeks old and now, at 12 weeks old today, weighs a little over 25 lbs.
This is my family's first pup and though the other two remaining girls of the litter had more traditional boxer markings, which I love, she was the largest and doing her own thing.. more aware, inquisitive, and controlled than the other two. We learned she was the only one to figure out how to escape from the pen after we chose her.
Reading training books and watching mad videos currently.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks!
This is my family's first dog. My family growing up was less than responsible with pets, so I've waited until I felt as if I could do it responsibly.

Using the methods found here for house (potty/chew) training.

I read Zack George's Dog Training Revolution, am currently reading The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete, and have watched/am watching a ton of videos.
While Robert Cabral is hands-down my favorite for presenting what seems to be a style with a healthy balance of positive reinforcement and correction, I've also learned a lot from Ian Stone of
and Zak George on Youtube.

For nutrition, I've started her on Blue <Buffalo> Wilderness puppy formula for the really high protein count. The people who bred her were feeding her Pedigree Puppy, so I switched her to Orijen without realizing a 24-lb. bag would cost upwards of $87!!! Like I said, my wife stays at home. So I immediately switched her to the Blue Wilderness. She had pretty bad gas when we first got her, before we switched her food. Once the Pedigree was completely eliminated/replaced with the Orijen (I did it prematurely once I found out what was in the Pedigree) the gas went completely away. We ran completely out of the 4# bag of Orijen in a week, so I made another hard switch to the Blue Wilderness with neither unfortunate bowel events nor the return of gas. Wish me luck on that remaining the norm.
She's only had a soft stool once and I think it was because I was using packaged turkey deli meat as a treat that had been left at room temperature all day. That won't happen again... with packaged deli meat, period.

If there are any thoughts or advice, I'm new to all this, so I'm open.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sounds like you are pretty set right now. Only advice I can give you for now is, consistency, consistency, consistency. lol Also make it fun for the pup and try to limit any training for 10-15 minute periods throughout the day. And try not to get frustrated, because it will happen, lol, just know the more work you put in now, the much easier it is a little later on.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Yes consistency and praise. Also being on a schedule helps, feeding at same times each day, taking out on a regular basis to the rayon int her to potty. You will learn her potty schedule. Remember too if she drinks a lot more on occasion she may need to potty sooner. I like dehydrated liver or andy dehydrated raw food as treats . In the beginning I lured one into walking at my side, it became habit. I did not continue to lure as he got better so he is always guessing, is this the time I'm getting a treat? Good luck and you will get lots of support from members here.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome. She's a pretty girl! They can be smarter than you expect them to be- that's good and bad.
There is a lot of a good advice on here, and you'll get into your own groove of what's OK and what's not in your home.
The Boxer in her will be stubborn for sure, so making things fun can help you a good bit.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Welcome aboard and yep ... Stubborn and Pig Headed! Those traits seem to cross over pretty well in tact, especially with the girls it would seem? She's cute it will be interesting to see how big she gets??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Size and her Sire

Welcome aboard and yep ... Stubborn and Pig Headed! Those traits seem to cross over pretty well in tact, especially with the girls it would seem? She's cute it will be interesting to see how big she gets??
Thank you all for the warnings. When I left to work the other day and my wife (who stays home with the kids) put her in the pen we set up for her in our dining room, she let out a low little "woof". My wife said it was like she was back-talking her.
Getting her to go down has been a bear. Sitting came easy, but she just wouldn't lie down. At first, when I told her "down" she would paw at me and bark. So I wound up using her bed. Now she's doing it fairly well, but when she does she paws down... like she's pawing at the treat/my down-pointing finger. Not every time, but almost. She's doing farely well at staying for 5-10 seconds until I release her, however.

I, too, am very curious to see how big she'll get. They say German Pinschers are 30-40 lbs. and her dad was actually smaller than a normal boxer, but I think he was a bit over 40 lbs. But her paws are big, and she was the largest of the girls... as big as some of the boys, I believe (at least it looks that way from the pictures). I'm thinking she'll be as big as a boxer...? The wife forgot to ask the vet for his opinion.

While her siblings were romping around, she would play with them a bit, then go investigate a tree, then investigate us, then hang out by her Sire. Way more aware of what was going on than her siblings. And when I lured the puppies to me to test how well each one would lure into a sit, she was the first one at me and lured right into a sit.

I'd never heard of German Pinschers before... the owner thought he (the sire, his fiance's dog) was a doberman without the markings. Took me some research to find out... then I let them know they had a German Pinscher. Apparently they're basically a short-haired schnauzer, rare, and bred for protecting property from small critters. The sire was beautiful, though... here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's been a little more ornery toward my wife. Last night, instead of my training time with her, I let my wife have train time while I observed and coached to ensure my wife was giving the same commands, in the same way, with the same expectations, that I was. It seemed to help... we'll see if Marcie behaves better for her today. :pray:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
She's been a little more ornery toward my wife. Last night, instead of my training time with her, I let my wife have train time while I observed and coached to ensure my wife was giving the same commands, in the same way, with the same expectations, that I was. It seemed to help... we'll see if Marcie behaves better for her today. :pray:
Let us know but that's not unusual at all. Usually the one that does the Walking, Training and Feeding ... get's the most compliance.

Now once she is trained fully ... she will listen to anyone. That is part of why LE/IPO and other such training is done in a "foreign language." Long way of saying ... she sounds par for the course. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
You definitely want your wife to be involved in the training too, as you are doing. Marcie has to understand her place in your pack. The earlier she understands who's in charge and that it's not OK to talk back the better.

I say talk back, we have a couple of 'talkers' and they will bark and wiggle and play- that we are OK with; but when we are giving them a command it's not OK to talk back.

It will be interesting to see how her personality blooms since she's not a full boxer- but that part of her will be stubborn and challenge you- and it will be fun and goofy and loving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts