Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched thru the forums looking for help on my next problem but didn't see anything in regards to my next problem.  My friend has a boxer who spends a great deal with Templeton.  Today I dropped him off for the day while I was out of town and when I returned I was upset to find out that between my friends boxer and Templeton they seemed to be having  a "marking" competition three times each in the house.  My friend's boxer is a few months older than Temp and will be neutered in a couple of weeks - not sure if that will make a difference or not?  Templeton hasn't had any accidents for quite some time so I'm absolutely shocked and he was neutered at a young age.  My friend is also on having her carpets steam cleaned to destroy any odours remaining in the carpet.  

My question is how do I rectify this problem???

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Boys will be boys....always a peeing contest between males isnt there???  ha ha ha.

Good News Studies show that this behavior does diminish I think about 60% when the dog is neutered.
Aso heard that most dogs who mark are practicing somewhat of a dominance behavior or could be stressed.  So proper clean up, getting your dog neutered as well as stepping up in leadership role I think are the true ways to diminish the behavior.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boys will be boys...lol!  Thanks Hannabanna.

Glad to hear that this behaviour will diminish but it's just so frustrating and I feel horrible for my friend who had to clean up six times altogether after both boxers.  Is Templeton just following my friends boxer's behaviour (since Temp has been neutered since he was 5 1/2 months of age)?  I am positive there is some sort of dominance going on even though they are pretty much best friends and get along great.  I'm just speechless because Templeton has always been at the bottom of the ladder especially when it comes to dominating and unfortunately Templeton is always the one being humped at the leash free park.  He even still squats when he urinates!  I just want to stop this behaviour before it becomes a habit!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Well best to IMO catch him in the act and correct.   Kash does that with Hanna right now.   So when I am walking both, I have to tell him "NO" when he peed right when she is.  Sometimes he grazes her which is a mess, but until his nuts are gone, I gotta correct and correct.  

Good luck!!  And I have a squater too - such a girl man with big boy intentions!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts