Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Mass from X-ray, 8 yr old female

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  owenowlsnest 
#1 ·
My boxer has had a dry cough and we took her to the vet and they found this with an X-ray and blood work. Without A CT scan it is not positive that the vet diagnosed it as a twisted lung torsion. Her symptoms don’t really go beyond a dry cough. Her white blood cells are normal. In the last couple of days she hasn’t been coughing as much. Has anyone come across this?
Doctor suggested antibiotics and steroids to start. Thanks in advance for anyone’s help!

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh, I hope its not cancer I am so sorry I know you must be so worried. The Vets usually jump to cancer because its a boxer. Sometimes its right sometimes its not. I have had 6 boxers now and 2 of them had a lot of health problems so I have been in Vets offices a lot! Is a CT scan the only way they can diagnose this? My heart breaks for you I know you are probably scared. She is a little up there in age so if it is cancer I would suggest just loving her and enjoy your time you have left and its encouraging that the meds are helping her some

#5 ·
She isn’t on meds yet. I am worried about the prednisone with side effects!
Picking them up on Sunday! Thanks for you kind words. We have thought and thought and we have decided to do the medication and only that! We want her to feel comfortable and happy! Looking at the picture to me it doesn’t look like a twisted lung torsion. It looks like a mass of something! I wish someone whom had experience on boxer forum would know by looking at the x-ray. 😌

#6 ·
One of my boxers was on prednisone for quite a while she got auto immune hemolytic anemia they think it was from a tick bite or I understand just getting their yearly shots can cause their auto immune system to go nuts and attack their own blood cells so I nearly lost her then had to have blood transfusions and meds. Prednisone was given and a lot of it too the main side effects were urination and excessive hunger. And she seemed a little on the jumpy side too when she was on that.I had to put bed pads under her bed because she would leak urine at night she could not hold it she would drink a lot of water too. I think she was on that a good six months stepping down the dosage I have a friend who's boxer had a nasty kind of invasive tumor it was cancer it was a hemangioma she was on prednisone as well they gave her 6 months after the diagnosis and she lived pretty comfortably for 8 months with it. At 8 years old I would not be surprised if it is cancer and the CT scan I am sure is very expensive what would the treatment be if they did confirm cancer? Can they remove it? You will have to ask yourself how much you are willing to spend and how much pain you are willing to put her thru chemo usually only gives about 5 months more of life and is very expensive. Sometimes Veterinary collages will give you a price break If that is a twisted lung how do they treat that? I know you only want what's best for her and these are such hard decisions to make but I am sure with some thought you will make the right one for her. Hopefully someone who has seen this before will chime in. Best wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.